Prospective owner questions

txrider

BTW:  Along with the slightly longer wheelbase on the 2002+ bikes, Guzzi added additional engine/frame bracing down under the transmission, and within the front engine/frame subframe to stiffen things up.

And although the 2000-01 Sports will always be faster steering, I have heard from those that have owned both series, that appropriate tires on a 2002+ bike will bring it close to a 2000 in terms of flickability.  The Pirelli Diablos come to mind in this regard.  But as always, YMMV  :D

al

40731[/snapback]

Thanks Al, for getting us back on track. The handling and feel of the LeMans is a major concern now and that info is useful. Getting a demo ride isn't happening just now but I'm still trying.

Incidently, very nice job on your bike on Pashnit.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Al, for getting us back on track.  The handling and feel of the LeMans is a major concern now and that info is useful.  Getting a demo ride isn't happening just now but I'm still trying. 

Incidently, very nice job on your bike on Pashnit.

40734[/snapback]

Thank you :D ...those are some old pictures and info though, so once the engine is back together, I hope to get some updated info/pics for Tim.

Oh, and one other thing about the later bikes, the rear rim(and consequently tire) is wider on the newer bikes. The general consensus is that the bike is "over-tired" in the back, which also slows steering. We can only guess that this was a styling choice for Guzzi, as the bike doesn't need such a wide piece of rubber out back :P

Along with my prior comments on tire choice, going down a size in tire width(BTW, on both earlier and later bikes, but esp the 02+ bikes) dramatically quickens the steering, and changes the riding experience quite a bit.

My personal thoughts are to first go to the Diablos, at OEM sizing... and check that out. Then if I still want to liven up the steering further, go down a size in the rear next time.

al

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you  :D    ...those are some old pictures and info though, so once the engine is back together, I hope to get some updated info/pics for Tim.

Oh, and one other thing about the later bikes, the rear rim(and consequently tire) is wider on the newer bikes.  The general consensus is that the bike is "over-tired" in the back, which also slows steering.  We can only guess that this was a styling choice for Guzzi, as the bike doesn't need such a wide piece of rubber out back  :P

Along with my prior comments on tire choice, going down a size in tire width(BTW, on both earlier and later bikes, but esp the 02+ bikes) dramatically quickens the steering, and changes the riding experience quite a bit.

My personal thoughts are to first go to the Diablos, at OEM sizing... and check that out.  Then if I still want to liven up the steering further, go down a size in the rear next time.

al

40755[/snapback]

I just returned from a demo ride on a 2004 LeMans and I'm impressed. The turn in with the stubby bars is a little high effort and I managed to find a couple of false neutrals down shifting but I really like the bike overall. This particular bike had Staintunes and the engine feels and sounds like a classic big twin- booming with great roll on torque but likes to rev, too. 'Course I'm preaching to the choir, I know, but this is what I'd hoped the LeMans to be.

Now to "sleep on it" because I'm about 90% there on buying this particular bike. That is, if sleep comes tonight. One LeMans, two LeMans, three LeMans... :)

I just returned from a demo ride on a 2004 LeMans and I'm impressed.  The turn in with the stubby bars is a little high effort and I managed to find a couple of false neutrals down shifting but I really like the bike overall.  This particular bike had Staintunes and the engine feels and sounds like a classic big twin-  booming with great roll on torque but likes to rev, too.  'Course I'm preaching to the choir, I know, but this is what I'd hoped the LeMans to be.

Now to "sleep on it" because I'm about 90% there on buying this particular bike.  That is, if sleep comes tonight.  One LeMans, two LeMans, three LeMans...  :)

41562[/snapback]

90% there? For me that means I would buy the bike and a whole bunch of accessories too! 100% means I would buy the bike and a new Breva 750! Of course I'm at 110% and I'm waiting for my MGS! Get out there and get it, my friend!

90% there? For me that means I would buy the bike and a whole bunch of accessories too! 100% means I would buy the bike and a new Breva 750! Of course I'm at 110% and I'm waiting for my MGS! Get out there and get it, my friend!

41598[/snapback]

Done. It is in the garage as I write this. Picked it up from my dealer this morning. Bum weather today so I'm looking forward to the usual check-lube-adjust-detail routine. The ride home was a blast despite the 30 knot cross winds and dropping temps. Uncorked Staintunes are so cool. This red 2004 bike has 3326 miles on it and is virtually new. My sweet wife supported my buy decision and I'm fairly pumped.

Until now all my bikes have had centerstands so I'll have to order a work support stand. Got a new windshield (crack in the original) and a factory service manual on the way.

There is a finned aluminum box under the seat marked "Kit Racing Titanio". What's that?

I'll try to research new owner dumb questions but may have some as I get into the bike. There is a dry squeak coming from the clutch slave actuator as the clutch lever is squeezed. Is that typical or needs attention?

Life is good. :D

Guest Brian Robson
There is a dry squeak coming from the clutch slave actuator as the clutch lever is squeezed.  Is that typical or needs attention?

Life is good.  :D

41642[/snapback]

I've had that squeak since new, with no other issues.