Prospective owner questions

txrider

Have you seen this LeMans 2004 for only $9000

http://www.mphcycles.com/V11LEMANS.htm

lemans_pfl.gif

40541[/snapback]

I'm going to stick my neck out here with a question- I test rode a 2000 V11 this morning and although I found the engine and tranmission excellent, the handling was, uh, weird. The front end was twitchy, that is in a straight line did not feel stable like other bikes I ride. I could "waggle" (for want of a better term) the front end at 70 mph and it felt loose through the chassis. In turns it seemed to resist inputs and then fall into the turn. Now I'm not knocking Guzzis, just would like to know if this is typical and if so have changes been made to post 2000 models. I expected more straight line stability and turn in predictability. Possibly this is all my problem being used to other bikes. What is your experience on post 2000 Guzzis? And no, I didn't check the steering damper, tire pressures, mileage on the bike, etc. Would appreciate input from experienced rider/owners of post 2000 V11 LeMans/Sports. :(

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The early V11S is quicker handling and requires much more care when selecting tires and setting up the suspension.

I have only ridden my 2000, so my 2 cents is not worth much.

But FWIW, I have felt safe at 130 Veglia MPH on all but one set of tires.(contiforce)

And I weigh a fair bit over 200# and have not resprung the bike, nor fixed the 2 inch front sag.

Guest dkgross
Have you seen this LeMans 2004 for only $9000

that's a killer deal. Dave at Moto International still has some great deals as well, especially the Rosso's and the Cafe Sport!

http://www.motointernational.com/MI10-04.htm

Like I said..my bike has all the bugs worked out..but, I refuse to give it away. I'd like it to go to a great home, but, since I sold the MINI, I kinda can afford to keep it. I just don't know how much I'll ride it once the FJR gets here...

:)

Guest ratchethack

Ditto what Dave said about quicker handling, tire selection and chassis set-up of the early Sports. I've ridden both my bike and an '03 LeMans, going straight from one to the other back and forth several times in the twisties, which really tends to highlight the differences.

A few subjective observations. The Sport is without question a much quicker-handling chassis, though the way I have my suspension dialed-in, I've found the steeper fork entirely stable, decidedly so in fact. My Sport is not at all finicky at any speed. I find it more fun to push hard in the mountains than the LeMans, and that it's easier to push hard. The moderate amount of counter-steer effort necessary to initiate turns on the Sport becomes very noticeable only after riding the LeMans, which requires relatively little. When jumping directly from one to the other, the couple of cm difference in wheelbase tends to "feel" like about 10 cm! The LeMans feels like it's absolutely incapable of flicking around like the Sport, like it's "too big" to push thru tight esses anywhere near as fast, yet I think it'll actually do every bit as well as the Sport, it just takes a different set of inputs.

Now on the other hand, I'd say that compared to other Sport bikes I've owned and ridden (of the Japanese persuasion), the Sport seems more stable and not-as-quick steering, somewhere between "modern" quick-handling Jap Sport bike feel and the much more leisurely, slow-handling feel of the LeMans.

I'd also say that your perception of the "twitchy" front end feel of the Sport that you mentioned may be due to your familiarity with whatever you may be used to, and a combination of set-up parameters on the Sport. It's relatively easily dialed out, by my experience.

I actually love the handling of both for different reasons... Let's see, Gina or Sophia, :wub: hmmmm... life is so short....

As always, YMMV. :thumbsup:

Guest dkgross

my LeMans didn't become 'flickable' until I realized that the stupid steering damper was set WAY too hard..I cranked it all the off, then just added TWO click to tighten A LITTLE. Any more, and it bogs down, any less, and the front end feels 'wobbly' to me.

it probably wouldn't hurt me to get someone who REALLY knows how to tweak all the suspension adjustments on my bike to set it up with me based on my height/weight, etc...

and, obviously..tires make a big difference :)

my LeMans didn't become 'flickable' until I realized that the stupid steering damper was set WAY too hard..I cranked it all the off, then just added TWO click to tighten A LITTLE.  Any more, and it bogs down, any less, and the front end feels 'wobbly' to me.

it probably wouldn't hurt me to get someone who REALLY knows how to tweak all the suspension adjustments on my bike to set it up with me based  on my height/weight, etc...

and, obviously..tires make a big difference :)

40598[/snapback]

Thanks guys for thoughtful, useful answers. I'm coming up empty handed on a demo ride on the LeMans, my real interest here, so have what must seem some pretty naive questions. Just trying to avoid the mistake I've seen others make and get a bike I'm not happy with after the new wears off.

My taste in bikes is for European torquey twins like the Aprilias. Don't care much for BMW's and Ducatis after owning a couple of each. But the classic look of the sport Guzzis and that big engine sticking out both sides has a hold on me.

Also, I am looking for a black LeMans like dlaing posted. One I've found has 875 miles, probably a buy back dealer demo with 12 months warranty left. Not what I would deem an ideal purchase. Price is right though.

Guest dkgross
Also, I am looking for a black LeMans like dlaing posted.  One I've found has 875 miles, probably a  buy back dealer demo with 12 months warranty left.  Not what I would deem an ideal purchase.  Price is right though.

40623[/snapback]

Price is right on my bike too :)

good luck with whatever you get!!!! And make sure you come back here and tell everyone, and post photos. This board is the best. :drink:

Guest dkgross
Dave,

Maybe I am going blind, but I don't see your bike in the Classifieds.

Just your mufflers and Crossovers.

Could you post a direct link to it?

Grazi

40666[/snapback]

I took it off the classifieds for the time being. Frankly, I got tired of people offering me $6400 for it, then getting pissed when I wouldn't sell it to them for that. I'd really rather just keep it. I want it to go to a worthy and loving home, but I am NOT giving it away.

Send me an email, and I'll send you specs.

I took it off the classifieds for the time being.  Frankly, I got tired of people offering me $6400 for it, then getting pissed when I wouldn't sell it to them for that. I'd really rather just keep it.  I want it to go to a worth home, but I am NOT giving it away.

Send me an email, and I'll send you specs.

40672[/snapback]

Dave, selling a bike is one of the worst experiences a motorcycle enthusiast has to go through and takes a lot of patience. I'm about to put an FZ1 on the market and dread starting the process.

Guest dkgross
Dave, selling a bike is one of the worst experiences a motorcycle enthusiast has to go through and takes a lot of patience.  I'm about to put an FZ1 on the market and dread starting the process.

40702[/snapback]

Yeah.TX..I know..we do get VERY attached to these little peices of metal, don't we?

I love the FZ1. Great bike..Too tall for me, but FUN to ride!!!!

Yeah.TX..I know..we do get VERY attached to these little peices of metal, don't we?

I love the FZ1.  Great bike..Too tall for me, but FUN to ride!!!!

40727[/snapback]

It's a little tall for my short 30" inseam. You should straddle the Futura... tippy toe time. :)

Rolled the FZ throttle full open in second gear up to 10K yesterday and gave myself an adrenalin rush that lasted the rest of the day. Too old for that foolishness...

BTW: Along with the slightly longer wheelbase on the 2002+ bikes, Guzzi added additional engine/frame bracing down under the transmission, and within the front engine/frame subframe to stiffen things up.

And although the 2000-01 Sports will always be faster steering, I have heard from those that have owned both series, that appropriate tires on a 2002+ bike will bring it close to a 2000 in terms of flickability. The Pirelli Diablos come to mind in this regard. But as always, YMMV :D

al

Guest dkgross
It's a little tall for my short 30" inseam.  You should straddle the Futura...  tippy toe time.  :)

Rolled the FZ throttle full open in second gear up to 10K yesterday and gave myself an adrenalin rush that lasted the rest of the day.  Too old for that foolishness...

40729[/snapback]

HAHA..I tried the Futura the same day I tried the LeMans.

I think "I" might be too old for the FJR foolishness I'm about to embark upon...