New Owner and Dumb Questions

BrianG

Ok... it's -25 C but I can still hold a wrench! I removed the rear cowl and found some things I'd like to understand.

By the ECU is a multi-pin plug.

......Is this for the diagnostic tool?

From the same part of the wiring harness there are 2 single-wire connectors un-used. They resemble the connectors of the signal lights.

......What are they for?

I want to reverse the shift pattern. I can flip over the shifter-shaft bell-crank easily enough. It won't shift completely when not running.

.....Is there enough range of motion in the shifter-lever to accomplish the shifts?

I looked at the rear shock and found that it is gold in color, has a white spring, and it's compression and rebound adjusters are anodized blue.

.....How do I tell what brand it is?

There is a device on the bottom-right side of the fuel tank, near the back. I'd assums this is the fuel pressure regulator. It has an unused nipple oriented horizontally, pointing 45 degrees back-midline.

...What is this unit? Why is the nipple unconnected?

There's a start! Thanks!! :food:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok... it's -25 C but I can still hold a wrench!  I removed the rear cowl and found some things I'd like to understand.

By the ECU is a multi-pin plug. 

......Is this for the diagnostic tool?

Yes, not for "end user" application.

From the same part of the wiring harness there are 2 single-wire connectors un-used.  They resemble the connectors of the signal lights.

......What are they for?

...same, for powering the diag tools, from what I understand.

I looked at the rear shock and found that it is gold in color, has a white spring, and it's compression and rebound adjusters are anodized blue.

.....How do I tell what brand it is?

As mentioned, Sachs

There is a device on the bottom-right side of the fuel tank, near the back.  I'd assums this is the fuel pressure regulator.  It has an unused nipple oriented horizontally, pointing 45 degrees back-midline.

...What is this unit?  Why is the nipple unconnected?

Yep, that's the pressure regulator. It is a simply spring loaded diaphram, and many offer the capability to alter the fuel pressure via vacuum, hence the nipple. But it is unused in our application. Ignore it :)

I have no idea WRT your questions on converting to reverse shift.

al

Just a thought- to reverse the shift, you need to move the shift connecting arm from 'above' to 'below' the pivot. Try removing the shifter, then removing the triangular connector. Flip that upside down (you may have to make a new one, since it's not just flat). Or maybe its easier to flip the shift thingy on the transmission. You'll probably need a new connecting rod that's a bit longer.

Alternatively, you can buy (good luck) the really expensive Guzzi 'ergal' shifter and just fit that on upside down.

Jason

Just a thought- to reverse the shift, you need to move the shift connecting arm from 'above' to 'below' the pivot.  Try removing the shifter, then removing the triangular connector.  Flip that upside down (you may have to make a new one, since it's not just flat).  Or maybe its easier to flip the shift thingy on the transmission.  You'll probably need a new connecting rod that's a bit longer.

Alternatively, you can buy (good luck) the really expensive Guzzi 'ergal' shifter and just fit that on upside down.

Jason

41443[/snapback]

The belcrank flips easily without changing the location for the shift-lever arm. It alters the throw of the system and seems to be OK, but I can't test it.

There's no room under the shifter lever to flip the triangular bit upside down.

The belcrank flips easily without changing the location for the shift-lever arm.  It alters the throw of the system and seems to be OK, but I can't test it.

41445[/snapback]

Is 'belcrank' the same as my nomenclature: 'thingy on the transmission'? Belcrank has a certain joie de vivre.

J

There is a device on the bottom-right side of the fuel tank, near the back. I'd assums this is the fuel pressure regulator. It has an unused nipple oriented horizontally, pointing 45 degrees back-midline.

...What is this unit? Why is the nipple unconnected?

You can connect it to the inlet manifold. I had it on my scura, and it gives a smoother running. You only have to connect it to one side.

Yes, not for "end user" application.

snip

41440[/snapback]

I am pretty sure it works with TechnoResearch's end user applications, such as Direct Link Race Performance Software, Scan-Tool, Digital Dashboard, and the motorbike diagnostic software tools that FBF sells.

I guess you could argue that all but the Digital Dashboard are for the end user, but I will argue back :P

My guess is that Tuneboy will also connect through the "OBD" On Board Diagnostic connector.

-25 ! ! !

Stay home!

41487[/snapback]

Home is in the garage.......... we have heaters!!

It was -40 C last week, so this is frankly balmy!!

The annual Motorcycle Show is this week-end in Edmonton.

Forcast -4 to -15 C with freezing rain and snow flurries.

Woo Hoo ...... that means it's almost spring!! :drink:

Will there be Guzzi Girls? If there is than you must take pictures.

You must take pictures of Guzzi's anyways!

41503[/snapback]

I'll be taking then camera, but don't hold your breath on Guzzi pics. With a population of only 1M, there is no Guzzi dealership in town. The closest is Red Deer, then Calgary.

Ya, ya..... I know............ :homer:

I think I am the only person running a reverse shift pattern. I had to make a some small parts to make it work. I should have a chance to post some pics this weekend. I did a quick writeup ages ago and emailed it to someone.... Do they still have it???