Am I crazy?

Janusz

Over the years I rode standard/sportsbikes and since 2001 enjoyed my V11 the most.

Almost a year ago, last March, I bought a cruiser, Yamaha V-Star Silverado on the pretext that I needed something to comfortably cruise/tour with my wife. Unexpectedly it turned out to be a real Cinderella and it somewhat amuses me as a pleasant and satisfying diversion. We toured the whole Northern California on it last Summer and before that in April crossed Rockies back and forth to Alberta riding in a blizzard over the passes and enjoying every moment of it.

I also bought an used SV650S (original version) last May supposedly for my son but I "steal" it from him anytime I can and really like its nimble, effortless handling.

But now I am on the verge of buying a new R1 and this trend starts to worry me. Do I really need it? Am I too old for it? Will I like it?

Please knock me over head and confirm that buying 1-2 bikes a year to ride them all for no good reason makes no sense and will bring a bad result.

Or, like my wife says, I should go for it and enjoy now, when I still can. She told me this just today upon learning that father of my son's friend, 45 years old always healthy and successful man, was struck with a massive stroke and is in an intensive care.

Yup, have a blast. If only bikes weren't so bloody expensive here in Denmark I would have a dozen or so.

Imagine having a Laverda 750 SFC, a MV Agusta SS 750 America, a Ducati 750 SS (round case, of course), a Norton 750 Commando Roadster and a Honda RC51/SP2 in tha stable..... :wub: and a MGS 01 if it ever will surface??

Søren

Guest Apexlocator

But now I am on the verge of buying a new R1 and this trend starts to worry me. Do I really need it? Am I too old for it? Will I like it?

NO NO YES.

They are all different flavors and you should enjoy them all. Look at what you can do for the price of one or two Harleys!

Just be careful on that R1. My dream bike is the ZX-10R, which I will probably buy in 2006.

NO, you are not crazy! Excepting those out there who are absolutely rabid about one particular brand of machine, it's pretty clear that no one machine can do everything well. Go out as soon as you can and get that R1, or whatever you want. Take it from me, having an assortment of machines that really are working for you will not mean one of them is permanently pushed into the corner. On the contraty, after a short time, each will be calling to you to use them, dangling their own particular attribute that originally caught your attention. A motorcycle harem, if you will!!!

Each riding season, I find myself missing events or rides that I would really have wanted to engage in, with overlapping occasions associated with different brand loyalties. As far as I'm concerned, this self-inflicted problem is one I wish on everyone who is as passionate about the motorcycle as I am. This season is shaping up to be another tough decision making time, but someone has to do it, so I volunteer!

Go and get that R1 now, time's wasting!

Ciao, Steve G.

This is not a lecture.

Instead of the usual, watch out for all the HP lecture, here's a tip. Get used to the front brakes. They really are good but sensitive. You'll be amazed at the handling of the bike on a twisty 2 lane road. When I got mine, after being accustomed to the V11, I found my self really oversteering into corners. I had to back off on the body english a great deal or I'd be in the oncoming lane. All of the litre Japanese sport bikes are like this now. It really feels like you're on a 600cc or smaller bike when you're dancing in the twisties.

The V11 is still my favourite bike in the garage though. I still have a stupid grin on my face after riding it and it doesn't matter what mood I was in before riding it, as I know I'll feel great afterwards :bier::race:

The only bike I'd replace the V11 with is another Guzzi and I don't ever remember thinking that way about any other bike I've owned.

You're crazy if you don't buy it...

if i could i would.

I'm planning on getting something for track days, i can't afford another spill on my

v11 again. I'm not enamored w/any of the 4 major brands, they all are great

track tools, actually that's what those are for. I rode my bud's #33 gsxr 1K, that's him last nov, same track day i had the 'incident'...

so, i will look to get a wrecked one (about a couple of grand) as long as the frame and engine are good,...and about another 4 or 5 grand prepping it. and man...then

you get a nice track toy :P:

I know it sounds cliche, but going to a track and ridind on the street is like night and day, can't even compare. tracks are so much fun, when you get the R1, do

yourself a favor, and take it to a track day, you'll discover what that machine is

meant to do, something you'll never find out on the streets.

even w/o experiencing a track day you should get it :thumbsup:

^^^^

because you have to cover all your bases.

once i get my "problem child" ironed out, i'll have to start thinking about the kawi dualie 650, or the nevada.

don't get me wrong, the sport is a real pussycat, but that may be 3/4 of the problem. 3rd gear comes too easy on these street bikes! :huh2:

^^^^

because you have to cover all your bases.

once i get my "problem child" ironed out, i'll have to start thinking about  the kawi dualie 650, or the nevada.

don't get me wrong, the sport is a real pussycat, but that may be 3/4 of the problem. 3rd gear comes too easy on these street bikes! :huh2:

43320[/snapback]

Dual Sporting for me is loads of fun. There's a real comraderie out in the boonies with the guys and gals I ride with. Some of them do get carried away at times and think they're on strictly off road bikes though :P But if there's a spill, breakdown or whatever, you can be assured that someone will have that part you forgot to bring or even better tire irons than you have, to help you out. Plus there's the scenery and freedom to do what you want. No cops and the only thing holding you back on a logging road is common sense that tells you this is too fast!

Then you look at your speedo and you're only doing 50mph but it feels like 100mph :P

So what do you ride off road Bill? I was...am thinking real hard about getting a KLR. It's been years since I had an offroad bike and I miss the dirt. The old G5 was ok, but it wallows, if ya' know what I mean.

Jason

I have a 2001 CBR929RR, Erion Edition, with Erion racing pipe and PowerCommander. I bought it so my son would have something to ride when he comes to visit - he doesn't like to ride my "old man" bikes. It has about 2.5K miles and I ride it 50 miles or so every other week.

Is it comfortable? No. Is it fast? YES! Does it handle good? Yes. Is it smooth? Yes. This bike only weighs 440 lbs wet, 110 lbs lighter than my LeMans, with 50 more HP.

While I love my LeMans, these occasional 50-mile rides do give me a thrill.

Tim