Saddle Bags?

tomsp

I'm going to get saddle bags for my 03 lemans. I have wanted to get the Tekkno bags but can't find them. A lot of bags apparently just use over-the-rear straps to hold them on -- great way to mare the finish! I'm looking for a recommendation for a frame bolt-on bag, that still looks good. Preferably soft with a sport look. Any comments on anything from Joe Rocket or Teknic or Fieldsheer?

Unless you REALLY plan on carrying a lot of stuff for an extended trip, you might look at a quality tank bag, or something like the Ventura Pack systems.

Many folks have initially thought they needed panniers, only to realize they are more of a pain than what they really required for a weekend trip, or even longer. In the end, many have ended up selling their bags, and survived just fine with a reasonably sized tank and tail bag setup. I know I've found it much more "liberating" to travel as lightly as possible... if possible :P

So, if you aren't sure that you need panniers, I'd recommend visiting sport-touring.net and their Gear section. Give a quick search on bags, etc... and you'll find lots of solutions.

http://www.sport-touring.net/cgi-bin/msgbo...cgi?;act=SF;f=3

In fact, here is one thread in particular:

http://www.sport-touring.net/cgi-bin/msgbo...=ST;f=3;t=29243

The Wolfman luggage systems for example, are quite versatile.

....anyway, just a thought.

But if you are set on bags, Hepco Becker makes a hard set for the V11(just do a search on HB, Hepco, etc) or visit Harpers Moto Guzzi online for more details.

Other than those, and the Teknos, I don't know of any that are a specific fit for the V11, but there are some threads here on "bags" you can search for that probably have some generic alternatives. And again, sport-touring.net has LOTS of alternatives, although admittedly probably few with a V11 focus/feedback. But hey, you could always ask. There are at least a couple old-timers on sport-touring.net that ride V11s, so they may have some thoughts(ksann comes to mind).

Good luck.

al

Just a vanity followup to Al-

I agree- the tankbag is great, great, great. I don't even take mine off anymore. Neither do I care if if eventually will mar the finish. My techno bags get used once a month in the summer- that's about it. But the Ventura rack system...look at one first mounted up. I have a Ventura rack. It is well-built, functional, and ugly as sin.

I just use a Triumph Back pack plenty comfy dunno about really long trips but as far asI can go, Yeah I said it triumph, built like a brick s**t house and less than half the price of the MG one. almost cheaper than a school bag these days plus its water proof. I think I paid $78 after tax. I may look into a tank bag but I just feel like they would get in the way. I wouldn't want anything more than a lil one with a nice map pocket.

:mg:

Al et al, interesting. I do have the guzzi tank bag. I love that thing. It's so expandable. I use it for my rides but many times I think I could use some more stuff. Most of the time I keep it off the bike-- It's quick and easy to put on and take off.

How large are those teckno bags anyway? They didn't look that large but I take it they expand too. Is part of the problem the mounting to the bike?

Also, on the Wolfman rear bags-- are they prone to mare the finish way more than the teckno?

How large are those teckno bags anyway? They didn't look that large but I take it they expand too

They're not very large, a Pair of large training shoes will fill one up. I tend not to expand them. Unless returning from a show with loads of goodies. I use them as a mounting platform for the tent and kitchen sink.

123_2339.jpg

My online album of the teknos fitted to my bike

I also think the ventura system worth a look.

:!: I would be very careful mounting a frameless tail pack or throw over paniers, without taking steps to ensure that they cant move or fall into the wheel. :!:

i would agree with Al. The saddlebag solutions aren't very elegant. I bought a Ventura system; I have the brackets, mounting system, grab rail, sport rack and the tall rack, along with the big touring bag which is (I think) close to 60 liters all expanded (!)

It's custom designed for the LeMans/V11 variants. I haven't installed it yet, it's still sitting in the box. Since buying the barndoor BMW, I've lately been rethinking my desire to tour my Scura, so I could be convinced to sell this whole setup for what I paid for it, which is piles less than retail.........I think around $300 for the whole kit.

Give me a message off-list if it interests you. I thought it was the best solution, YMMV.

Ventura Bags

Dan

Why is everybody worried about the finish?  :huh2:  Just put a soft cloth (even an ordinary towel will do!) over the tailpiece before you put on the tailbags...

47120[/snapback]

...it depends. I've found that even the seemingly softest material can eat away a paint job, vibrating over a 50+ hours of riding. Especially if someone really loads them down.

I ate the paint off my FJ1200 tank with a heavily loaded tank bag one time after a 12 hour ride.

So I always try to check what material the manufacturer uses on the back of the bag. I'm not so certain that a towel would stay in place after a day's ride with saddlebags to protect the sides of the bodywork :huh2:

Anyway, it's just something I check into.

al

123_2339.jpg

47124[/snapback]

you're looking, err, very well Martin, though you are looking rather 'peckish' after your trip away. Could you not pack enough food?

Your bike must go very quack.