Guzzi Future?

Guest aironepony

I'll never get over how ungainly and just plain ugly that tank looks. Other than that, it looks like a really nice evolvement of the basic Guzzi. I wonder if a V11 Sport tank would fit...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll never get over how ungainly and just plain ugly that tank looks. Other than that, it looks like a really nice evolvement of the basic Guzzi. I wonder if a V11 Sport tank would fit...

Well, honestly in my humble opinion.... MG has had some "design challenges" with tank design for the last ~decade :rolleyes:

I love my Le Mans, but honestly the tank on the V11 could have been a bit more elegantly executed. The cruiser "paisly shaped tear drop" tanks are just plain ugly(a matter of opinion :whistle: ) and leave that huge gap in front between their leading edge and the head-tube. And the Sport 1100 tank, while not really bad per se, is uninspired at best.

...and don't get me started on the Centauro :wacko:

MG should really look to their heritage for inspiration. It wasn't that long ago that some brands were closely identified with their tank designs, and it might be a good idea for MG to consider the same(which at this point in their life cycle I guess can be said for the cruisers to be fair).

Some of the classic tanks of past MGs were simple and elegant.

al

Guest aironepony

Earlier quoted remark.....MG should really look to their heritage for inspiration. It wasn't that long ago that some brands were closely identified with their tank designs, and it might be a good idea for MG to consider the same(which at this point in their life cycle I guess can be said for the cruisers to be fair).

Some of the classic tanks of past MGs were simple and elegant.

48573[/snapback]

Yep, the Dondolino, Albatros, Airone...they all had "nice tanks"...that's the heritage that should inspire...but it won't...it's a bit too "heritage". But then there's no debate really since the Griso, the Sport and the Cruiser ain't likely to be continued. Just the Breva versions. :thumbsup:

I love the angular tanks of the SP, orig LeMans, Sport, etc... I especially like the ones on bikes like the 1000S that have the angular bumps that protrude over the heads :food:

And of course, I like real badges versus decals:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...c=2395&hl=badge

al

For the most part, I think ya'll are right- simple retro tanks look cool. But some of the early Breva tank designs aren't bad. I like the first one better- it's more 'organic' (don't care for the exhaust pipe, though). I just don't understand the need for the 'sectional' look that's starting to show up in the second drawing, but it's obvious that someone was trying to follow heritige.

Thanks Pexi!

Also, FWIW, Guzzi has had a long history now of hideous tank designs. The V7 line is ok, the V7 sport and Le Mans I look cool. The T, T3, T5, SP, G5, Convert? blech. Actually, everything on...blech. The V11 Sport/Le Mans is ok, but disfunctional.

eh, whaddya gonna do?

tec_08.jpg

tec_09.jpg

Also, FWIW, Guzzi has had a long history now of hideous tank designs.  The V7 line is ok, the V7 sport and Le Mans I look cool.  The T, T3, T5, SP, G5, Convert?  blech.  Actually, everything on...blech.

48580[/snapback]

I dunno: I'm esp. fond of the 1000S looks in general, which on a naked bike, primarily revolves around the tank. But since it was an homage to the original V7 Sport, I guess we come back around to what you were saying above...

:D

Me too Skeeve- I like the 1000S

the 1000S tank is the same as the 850 Le Mans is the same as the 750S is the same as the V7 sport (may be some minor variations, but all have the same basic shape).

I personally like the Breva tank and design, it is tasty and originall, for a bike in it's class and type.Look at others like these TDMs and Vstorms or whatever for instance, nothing but a but ugly masses(for the masses).e106.gif

Even the Multistrada has same uglyness inside but though it has the Ducati character and the lines are sharp in a way and that saves a bit the situation.e112.gif

Anyway the jugement would be a better for all ,when the bike is seen live, everything is different live and especially volumes and so on.Photos don't do justice.

:2c: At the other hand I think that Guzzi should have maintain the thiner tanks in designs at the V11 that Aprilia messed it up a bit, though it has character too.

Edited by Alex-Corsa

Guest goffredo

There are some photos from the production lines in my blog.

/pexi

48538[/snapback]

Thanks for the pics!

G.

Surely the cruiser, since it's the largest sales segment in motorcycling [excluding tiddlers]  at the moment. Not likely to cut off the bread & butter, no matter how much they want to focus on the Breva, et al.

Sure wish they could have made the Griso in the 4v motor as originally planned, tho'.

:bike:

48566[/snapback]

The V11 refernce when talking about the cali's seems to be a USA thing only everywhere else they are refered to as stone califonia EV titanium etc etc. The cruiser thing might be big in the US but I think elsewhere its fairly miniumal here HD has about 6% of the market and I would suggest thats probally reflective of the rest of the world. Guzzis major markets are still based in europe so specifically catering for the US market doesn't make a lot of sense. However for me its disapionting to see them drifting away from more sports oriented options to middle of the road allrounders eg handle bars on the naked V11's why is there no clip on option?

A scura R with the twin plug motor single seat like the orginal V11 prototype, clip ons high rise exhaust or the Ghezzi and brian arrangment Ohlins front and rear maybe with radial mounted calipers lightwieght OZ racing wheels would be a fantastic last hurah for the V11 if it is indeed doomed as the roumours suggest. Athough I think the cali series might be more under threat as it uses a completly different fram and the older five speed gearbox as opposed to the six speed that everthing except the 750's use. Maybe I can find a Daytona RS or import a Magni Sifida from Japan, my thoughs and opions anyway.

Guest aironepony

Just to re-kindle the debate; the essential message that I picked up was that Guzzi is in the "last chance saloon".

Piaggio are determined to treat them as a business unit that must stand on it's own two feet and make a profit on any investment made.

The intended strategy is that of cost reduction and product range reduction. Hence the expectation that ONLY the Breva types will survive.

If that's the case then watch out for the removal of the production to a more centralised Piaggio site!

"Guzzi" could so easily become a "badge" that appears on all sorts of Piaggio group bikes.

:thumbsup:

Guest Nogbad
Just to re-kindle the debate; the essential message that I picked up was that Guzzi is in the "last chance saloon".

48769[/snapback]

The simple fact of the matter is that there is overcapacity in the bike market just as there is in the car industry and smaller manufacturers have to use a niche strategy to survive. Problem as I see it, is that the Breva range is not a niche product in that it is too bland and middle of the road. It isn't quite a tourer, isn't quite a cruiser and isn't quite a sports bike, yet has some odd features. If it was a political party it would be the Liberal Democrats. Will it have wide appeal? I don't know. I hate the style, but will probably test ride one out of loyalty. Basically, I didn't want an "easy to ride" bike. The appeal of the V11 is the rawness, the level of co-ordination and skill needed to get smooth progress out of it, and the kind of hand made imperfections I suppose. The V11 is a Tory bike all right.

The question is, if the worst happens and Guzzis are no more, what bike would I buy? There is little choice in shaft driven machinery. I expect I would get a BMW, or maybe a belt driven Buell. Ducati should give the Multistrada a belt or shaft drive option. Chains are right out for me.

I agree it will not sell by the bucketload in the UK, although it may do ok for a Guzzi.

Some of the markets abroad are completely different to ours and a "bland" bike like a Breva 1100 may be successful.

Good luck to Guzzi with it!

I think the best way to discribe the Breva would be "standard" a word right now that, to me, seems to scare the crap out of most the companies that import to the US. Take kawies W650 for example, that lasted what? 1 maybe 2 years? I think triumphs the only one that still makes anything close to a standard in the US, which is actually a nice bike (some people would slap me for saying such things about triumphs :D ) I hope that the same fate doesn't fall on the Breva or if it does I'm really hopefull Guzzi will have something to fall back on. :unsure:

Guest Nogbad

The Breva will probably sell in reasonable numbers, but I don't see how just one basic model in 2 capacities can be enough to sustain Guzzi as an independent profit centre within Piaggio. There is no commonality of parts or opportunity for cost sharing with rest of the Aprilia range and Guzzi's customers are an oddly individualistic lot. We will sure notice any badge engineering or dilution of the bikes' essential "Guzziness" and won't buy one. We might not even want bikes that are unintimidating. Personally I quite like my bike to intimidate me to an extent.....

Perhaps I'm weird..... :P: