Guzzi Future?

Guest aironepony

Guest aironepony

I have just returned from visiting the Reggio Emilia autojumble in Italy; the word on the street is that Guzzi is dropping everything but the Breva 750 and 1100 models. New automated lines are going in and it's the end of the V11 series.

:thumbsup:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nogbad

Plenty of dealers are offering new V11s of various sorts at the moment. When is production going to stop?

Hope Guzzi aren't going to go the way of Rover.....

they have a large stock of all models from last year, when no-one dare to buy a Guzzi because they didn't know if the factory would survive.

So it will take a lot of time before supplies dry. And when people start buying v11 like hell, they start up a production line for it.

If they're going to drop all of the Tonti frame models and the current spine frames, they had better get the naked and full-tour versions of the Breva 1100 introduced post-haste. MG ought to offer a lightweight dual sport based on the Breva 750 too, but I rather suspect that any dual sport at this point would use the Aprilia 450 v-twin four stroke. That wouldn't be a bad choice either but it would be a long way from what's currently considered traditional for an Guzzi.

Yep, this is what was related at the dealer's meeting.... focus on the new bikes, big and baby Breva, Griso, Nevada, and phase out all the other models, except maybe keeping one "V11" model. But I'm not sure if that means a V11 Sport or Cruiser.

But as mentioned, MG has quite a bit of old stock at this point, so regardless of what we hear today, the standard old models will continue to trickle out until they are gone. And by then, MG/Piaggio may have some new models up their sleeves, who knows.

They did specifically say no more V11 Le Mans though, again except what is left.

al

Guest aironepony
Yep, this is what was related at the dealer's meeting....  focus on the new bikes, big and baby Breva, Griso, Nevada, and phase out all the other models, except maybe keeping one "V11" model.  But I'm not sure if that means a V11 Sport or Cruiser. 

But as mentioned, MG has quite a bit of old stock at this point, so regardless of what we hear today, the standard old models will continue to trickle out until they are gone.  And by then, MG/Piaggio may have some new models up their sleeves, who knows.

They did specifically say no more V11 Le Mans though, again except what is left.

al

48523[/snapback]

My interpretation was; only Big and Baby Breva, nothing else. A "last chance" for Guzzi to turn the profit that Piagio expects through cost reduction and the concentration on a reduced model range........... :huh2:

I actually visited the factory last Friday and saw those production lines. There are two production lines (assembly lines that is) in the factory, one for the big block bikes and the other for 750 Breva and Nevada. The bikes are produced in batches, based on the need. I could see new big Brevas and Nevadas being in production at the moment I was there, yet the assembly lines were not actually very busy. There was no mention that some existing models would be dropped - but of course, it's not something you'd say to a visitor. Anyway, only new Breva engines and gearboxes were assembled and tested at the time I was inside.

Budgeted sales of big Brevas during 2005 is 3500. The max production capacity of the current assembly lines is 90 bikes per day. All R&D work is done at Aprilia premises, not in Mandello.

I don't know if I saw every corner of the factory, but certainly I did not see any construction works for more automated production lines going on. It really looked like the Guzzis are still almost hand made bikes. Even the new big Breva.

There are some photos from the production lines in my blog.

/pexi

...phase out all the other models, except maybe keeping one "V11" model.  But I'm not sure if that means a V11 Sport or Cruiser. 

Surely the cruiser, since it's the largest sales segment in motorcycling [excluding tiddlers] at the moment. Not likely to cut off the bread & butter, no matter how much they want to focus on the Breva, et al.

Sure wish they could have made the Griso in the 4v motor as originally planned, tho'.

:bike: