Selling

BarkinB

Guest Nogbad
:2c:  If you want a reliable , comfy and classy tourer bike ,Get a Beemer,(BMW)

they're able to get you to the "other side of the world" with out a stop.

Definatelly THE touring bike.

48834[/snapback]

True. I tried am 1150 GS. Great suspension, and I thought the servo ABS brakes were excellent. Expensive though and I already fell in love with the V11!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but most Beemers are BUTT ugly. I like the adventure but only if I was going through the country. not a pretty towner. I saw a small article for thier new crotch rocket concept and that looks really nice. We'll see I'm still waiting for that 'perfect' bike to come around :lol: for now thats my Goose. I think I'll keep'er

Top 5 replacements in order of preference before test rides:

Breva 1100

Victory Hammer

Honda ST1300

BMW K1200GT

Yamaha FJR1300

Well $0.02 from a new guy here, but one who owned an ST13, currently owns a KGT and has spent a lot of time on the FJR (bro owns one).

Between the FJR and ST (IMO) the FJR wins hands down. The GT is being phased out by BMW which means you can get some great deals on this ride, but it depends on how you feel about owning a bike whos days are numbered and that will not be produced beyond (so I hear) 2005 maybe 2006?? I can also say that the riding position on my GT is rather sporty, or if you will, hunched forward in LeMans fashion.

If you're looking for more of a sport-touring machine with emphasis on touring, my personal experience would shift me towards the FJR or an RT. The new R1200RT is a sweet bike if you can get over the "new" looks.

Enjoy your search!

Mike

The GT is being phased out by BMW which means you can get some great deals on this ride, but it depends on how you feel about owning a bike whos days are numbered and that will not be produced beyond (so I hear) 2005 maybe 2006??

The V11 is phased out as we speak, but that doesn't keep me away from a new one (no actual plans btw)

The V11 is phased out as we speak, but that doesn't keep me away from a new one (no actual plans btw)

48887[/snapback]

Yes, I agree but for me this is an easier pill to swallow with the V11- as I gave 7K (USD) for my brand new Lemans (caught the dealer in a moment of weakness) and 18K for my new GT (dealer caught me in a moment of weakness). :)

-Mike

Guest davidb

post-1173-1113668592_thumb.jpg

but most Beemers are BUTT ugly. I like the adventure but only if I was going through the country. not a pretty towner. I saw a small article for thier new crotch rocket concept and that looks really nice. We'll see I'm still waiting for that 'perfect' bike to come around :lol: for now thats my Goose. I think I'll keep'er

48856[/snapback]

mine isn't ugly.

Why should we hate you? Eventually everyone wants to try a different bike, and only a very few of us can afford a garage full.

You have had the V11 experience, and the next person to own it will have the chance to enjoy it as you have.

48774[/snapback]

Go for your life! Nobody will hate you, (Unless they have really tiny brains!). I personally have ridden lots and lots of motorbikes from the small and cheap to the expensive and exclusive over the last 20 years and I still have to find one from any manufacturer that does what I like about my shitty old Tontis any better, and certainly not $20,000AU better!

I also modify everything I own from the moment I purchase it and certainly don't see modifying stuff as 'Torture' simply using my skills as a 'Tool using ape' to make another ape's tool more useful for me.

Different strokes for different folks as the saying goes. Have fun with whatever you buy.

pete

Well $0.02 from a new guy here, but one who owned an ST13, currently owns a KGT and has spent a lot of time on the FJR (bro owns one).

Between the FJR and ST (IMO) the FJR wins hands down.  The GT is being phased out by BMW which means you can get some great deals on this ride, but it depends on how you feel about owning a bike whos days are numbered and that will not be produced beyond (so I hear) 2005 maybe 2006??  I can also say that the riding position on my GT is rather sporty, or if you will, hunched forward in LeMans fashion.

If you're looking for more of a sport-touring machine with emphasis on touring, my personal experience would shift me towards the FJR or an RT.  The new R1200RT is a sweet bike if you can get over the "new" looks.

Enjoy your search!

Mike

48886[/snapback]

Thanks a bunch for the info. Just checked out the R1200RT, and it seems great. I rarely put much weight on looks, I'm more concerned whether it's a good bike. The weird placement of the turn signal buttons is much more of a concern to me than it's looks. The rest of it is very appealing, I value inventive engineering. Are Beemers extremely expensive to maintain/repair compared with say, Japanese bikes?

I've seen many complaints that the Breva is ugly, and I don't agree. I'm not going to be able to even start looking at new bikes until we move, which isn't until the end of June. By then, the Breva will be out and tested by lots of people.

The FJR would be a tough thing to buy without even a chance to sit on one at the dealer, let alone test ride it. I took a chance like that buying a Carvin guitar (mail order only) and got lucky, it's the best guitar I own, but buying a bike blindly like that is several orders of magnitude higher risk.

One of our sensitive members complained. How do you feel about this one ?

48837[/snapback]

You keep your sensitive member out of this forum.

Guest davidb

test ride the r1200rs, it has 110hp and is a little more sport than touring but you can order bags with it. the maintenance is about the same. Oil changes, brakes etc .but valve adjustments are done at 6000 miles and are very easy to do yourself. ABS brake bleed is done at about 12000 miles, fuel filter replacement at 25000 miles. I paid 175 dollars(both) to have it done because I have a 6 year warranty and the ABS unit is expensive.

test ride the r1200rs, it has 110hp and is a little more sport than touring but you can order bags with it. the maintenance is about the same. Oil changes, brakes etc .but valve adjustments are done at 6000 miles and are very easy to do yourself. ABS brake bleed is done at about 12000 miles, fuel filter replacement at 25000 miles. I paid 175 dollars(both) to have it done  because I have a 6 year warranty and the ABS unit  is expensive.

49101[/snapback]

Good info. Thanks. I'll definitely try to test the r1200rs.

The riding position is critical.

Im000254.jpg

mine isn't ugly.

I have heared about this beemer that actually has a sportive character, How would you describe it? is it flickable, heave , light, Can you describe a bit of compartion Vs a V11 for instance??

Thanks