Harley Slowing Down

al_roethlisberger

Everyone has always said that as the "baby boom bubble"(mostly a phenom in the USA) moves through this segment in time, things at HD will eventually be impacted as their customer base ages. Anyone think this is the start?

...is the "craze" about to start fading? ...or is this just a minor bump? :huh2:

http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2005/mft05041311.htm

al

I don't believe that this is the down slope to the HD of the 1980's, but more a leveling out of their market share due to the hype from the plethora of custom and chopper shops (of which, about half have some sort of free public relations on Discovery and TLC). I haven't seen a recent customer base breakout of HD's buyers, but have to imagine that it is a younger audience than that of baby boomers of the past 10 year.

Too many low-mileage Harleys abandoned by posers and selling cheap.

Also, like the 90's economy, it has to end -- level off.

Harley won't descend to the AMF-owned company of old, but they are in a pickle: change too much and alienate "the base" -- don't change and be relegated to the dustbin of irrelevance. The V-Rod was a noble but overpriced and kinda ugly effort.

The smartest guy in their employ is treated like a redheaded stepchild -- one Erik Buell.

Don't know what'll happen to Harley. I love seeing an American motorcycle company kick ass, but I'm embarassed that their success comes from (mostly) wealthy posers who know very little of motorcycling -- but all about unsafe, cheesy, ultimately conformist clothing.

On an emotional level, I have grown to hate Harley-Davidson because I so dislike their customer base. Damn shame.

But, on a practical level, I'll buy one when the price is right because I can do anything and everything to it on the side of the road and just about every one horse town has a shop selling parts. Just waiting for that price to get right...waiting...waiting...waiting. :mg: k

Guest Nogbad

Buell is a major asset for them if they did but realise it. Buell could allow HD to expand into a new customer base without alienating their current one, and respect for the Buell brand is quite high now. Unfortunately, Buell is too obsessed with making tiny streetfighters. I considered one instead of the V11, but there is no pillion provision to speak of, and the bikes are too cramped.

Come on Buell, make a sports tourer ready for the demise of Guzzi! You have a customer waiting.

ya, I think it was called an S3T. REALLY nice bike, sat on one when I was still dreaming of the day I could ride bikes. If I remember it was a little tall for a lot of people so the following year they put out a "low" version.

Guest Nogbad
They did make a sports tourer a few years back but nobody bought it!

48778[/snapback]

New one on me! Did any make it to the UK?

Guest philbo
Everyone has always said that as the "baby boom bubble"(mostly a phenom in the USA) moves through this segment in time, things at HD will eventually be impacted as their customer base ages.  Anyone think this is the start?

...is the "craze" about to start fading?  ...or is this just a minor bump?  :huh2:

http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2005/mft05041311.htm

al

48729[/snapback]

It's a hard one to call. I was out riding with a bunch of people from work last Sunday and except for me, everyone else had cruisers - but only half of those were Harleys. Most of the casual riders that once owned Harleys switched to Yamaha and Kawasaki cruisers because of the price - same riding (average) experience for a lot less money. It looks like the Japanese are making headway again. There is an upside though – I discovered that in top gear at 2500 RPM / 45 MPH, my LeMans starts to splutter a bit (and I was starting to fall asleep) – I think the Goose was complaining about riding so slowly on such as nice day. :whistle:

Guest Nogbad
I discovered that in top gear at 2500 RPM / 45 MPH, my LeMans starts to splutter a bit (and I was starting to fall asleep) – I think the Goose was complaining about riding so slowly on such as nice day.  :whistle:

48791[/snapback]

Mine's the same. I keep the revs over 3K always. Under that it sounds like a cement mixer anyway!

Guest philbo
wtf ? ? :whistle:

48797[/snapback]

That's pretty damned sad. As a marketing strategy, would't it be fair to assume that if people want to buy them but can't, they'd be inclined to look elsewhere? Why not make sure there's plenty available and pick up the extra money on apparel & other marketing related items. I guess that's why I'm an engineer and not a marketing wizz kid. :blush: