Thoughts on the Ballabio

Guest despotp

Guest despotp

Hello all.

After many miles of faithful service, I'm finally looking to trade in my Kawi ZR-7. I've been reading every bike review I could find and asking everyone what they think of their bikes. In the process, I stumbled on a brand new '04 Ballabio. As soon as I saw it, I thought it was one of the nicest bikes I've ever seen. As we all know, however, long term relationships based on looks alone rarely work out.

Just looking at the numbers makes me think that this is the bike for me. Relatively light, six gears (my current bike only has 5 and it's a pain in the higway), and a big old gas tank. But before I make the plunge, I figured I'd turn to the experts.

I spend about half my time on the higway for 150+ mile trips, and the other half seeking out mountain roads. I do my best to avoid city traffic (Boston drivers are not very mindful of other vehicles!) Despite the New England winters, I average about 20k miles a year. I'm looking for something that acceptable for highway travel but, more importantly, will be fun through the twisties. Also, since I live in an apartment and have no where to work on my bike, minimal maintenance would be nice. So I know it's a tall order, but do you folks think the V11 will fill it?

Many thanks in advance. :D

....Relatively light......

No.

Other than that, yes. Can hang with the Jap bike for high mileage reliability, once sorted. And once you ride a Guzzi, you'll never own another Jap bike again.

Before my neighbor backed his car into my V11 Sport, I commuted 106 miles every day, year round and in all kinds of California weather (obviously not the insidious winters of the east coast, but our fog is nothing to sneer at). I also rode it on the Sierra mountain twisties whenever possible and two years ago, I did a 3000+ mile trip with full up bags to the MGNOC National in Washington state including side trips to Crater Lake and five volcanoes on the west coast for a blissful eight days. Gas mileage was around 44-49 mpg. While the V11 Sport is not as light as the Japanese hardware, it's certainly a good bit lighter than the ubiquitous Harley Davidson's that troll around the highways. The first time you get on a twisty road and twist the throttle, hear the boom of the exhaust, the pull of engine and the magic of a good handling of an Italian V-twin, you'll be hooked.

The only thing I dislike about the later model Guzzi sport models is the awkward mounting (too far forward esthetically) of the fairing. That can be remedied by a different mount. Out of the current offerings though, if you can get a Coppa Italia, get that. It's drop dead gorgeous and has the Ohlins suspension bits that set it a notch above the rank and file motorcycle.

Guest davidb

The guzzi is my favorite bike to ride for short distances here in the mountains. It has Not been reliable as my other bikes. If you are looking for fun/pleasure...buy one.. commuting... Don't buy one.

The guzzi is my favorite bike to ride for short distances here in the mountains. It has Not been reliable as my other bikes. If you are looking for fun/pleasure...buy one.. commuting... Don't buy one.

50145[/snapback]

I agree, if you need the bike for a daily commute...get a Honda. Although if your fairly handy with a wrench you dont need a garage to work on the Guzzi. If I had it to do over again I'd buy a Guzzi that already has 10000 miles on it from someone who knows guzzi's. By then all the bugs should be gone & it would be smooth sailing for a long long time. I cant complain about mine though, 2500 miles & nothing major yet. :whistle: Just a blown fuse is about it.

Guest Nogbad

I am commuting 85 miles a day on my V11. No problem. I am beginning to believe that the more you fiddle, the worse the reliability. I still have no news of the parts for my tranny recall, and I am starting to forget about it as well.

If, heaven forbid, the V11 starts to become rebellious and tries to attack me in the wallet, it will be chopped in pretty sharpish for something else.

I commute daily, albeit it's a short [but challenging] mix of urban & semi-rural roads. No issues, tho I sometimes wonder if a new testosteronic scooter might not be a better choice than any m/c for serious commutes in urbanville. :grin:

That said, I love riding the Ballabio to work. Even take a "long cut' to extend the fun. :race:

I use a backpack and carry coat & tie, etc. Almost 16K, and only one issue (pawl spring broke; I now carry spare & belfastguzzi's instructions on road trips!).

Follow your heart; mine said Guzzi. :mg:

Best wishes in choosing.

Bill

One thing is sertain on the Guzzis , is engine longlivity (with correct service and no silly mods)That can translate at about 200k to 250K km.

Easyness in service, it's all there easy to put hands on, just couple of screws and done.

Numbers do not tell truth.As the weight is not actually felt as much as is on the pappers when driving , contrary to any Japan bike these new Guzzis feel lighter than what actually are.And the bikes are really tourgey and smooth on power delivery.Well , that creates the fun and the feeling of safety when riding (along with the bodywork quality for the latest-that Jap bikes only dream of)

The ones with the raised handlebars can also be OK commuters I suppose. I go faster than (most if not all) scouters in the commute chaos of the city I'm in (at the moment) and though I have clip ons on my 1100iSport.It is a matter of getting used to something also, I guess.

Finnally is all about getting along with a bike riding wise and so on if it suits your style , better get one.

P.S. Did I forget to mention the community of the Guzzi people that's so great.It is like meeting a close friend, when meeting another Guzzi owner on a ride or on a trip wherever you are.Guzzi is something special really.

I've just purchased a Coppa Italia to go along with my Stone.

I've put 13000+ on the Stone with no problems, except for the odometer to quit at 12999.

400+ on the new Coppa, I'm very impressed and happy I made the decision to buy it.

-Hal

Go for it. I didn't know what I was missing. My previous bike to the Stone was a 75 850T.

wish i had that one too.

Guest davidb

200k to 250k km? does that include the valves and valve guides? I read so much about the soft valve stems and sharp guides that I almost bought that spare set on ebay.

200k to 250k km? does that include the valves and valve guides? I read so much about the soft valve stems and sharp guides that I almost bought that spare set on ebay.

50210[/snapback]

Although supposedly "widespread", the truth is that only a few folks have observed the problem on the forum(myself being one), so maybe it was just a batch :huh2:

But I wouldn't worry about it. Just check them out when you do a valve adjust, and if they do start to get out of spec, replace them with some good quality aftermarket pieces and never worry about it again :bike:

al

Guest davidb

I believe it is the stem diameter in question, not the rocker/end wear. so it would be difficult to notice without disassembly. Oil consumption should give a hint though.

Just keep an eye on oil consumption, as you say. I haven't noticed any oil consumption on mine with 15K miles on it. Seems to be running just fine, so I'm going to leave her be.

And yes, you can get outrageous miles out of a Guzzi engine. I have 170K+ miles on a G5- ran fine, with a little top-end knock. I know a fellow that has 500K+ miles on his T3. That one had a top end rebuild, but it's the original bottom end.

J

Guest Dave Pott

I went on a 1,100 mi. excursion this weekend to Death Valley & Las Vegas and now have 16.500 CAREFREE miles on my '04 Ballabio(Red). Other than wearing out tires and brakes(it lives in the mountains) I've had NOTHING wrong with it.

Power Commander, Stucchi X-over, K & N airbox and Staintune mufflers are the only mods so far and she runs great.

By the way, Deat Valley is spectacular!! After having to blow-off a trip there a few weeks ago I did a last second, impromptu road trip and DAMN! I just can't wait to go again.