does this seem idiotic?

Guest citimoto

Guest citimoto

I am thinking of purchasing a mandello on ebay what kind of max price is one in good nick going for? Furthermore, if I win I had an idea of flying up to Wisconsin (where the bike is located) and riding back to NC. Given that I know nothing of the provenance of this bike and the fact that it isnt exactly a touring machine does this seem a bit idiotic? I suppose that I could freight it down here but that just seems a bit boring. Im used to long distances on my 1150gs and dont mind a challenge but dont want to be absolutely miserable either. I thought the trip might be a nice vacation for myself but dont want it to turn into an absolute disaster.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im used to long distances on my 1150gs and dont mind a challenge

I'm glad you said that, because an RM isn't your daddy's Oldsmobile. I'm not trying to discourage you, but touring on a GS & touring on a V11 variant are 2 different animals. How much time do you have to get back ? Can your ass tolerate sitting on a board for that long ? What about being hunched over with clip-ons ? And don't forget about vibration.

Guest davidb

I bought mine in L.A CA and rode it 400 miles home one night. That was enough to convince me not to do it again. 300 miles a day on the guzzi is OK.

Guest goffredo
I am thinking of purchasing a mandello on ebay what kind of max price is one in good nick going for? Furthermore, if I win I had an idea of flying up to Wisconsin (where the bike is located) and riding back to NC. Given that I know nothing of the provenance of this bike and the fact that it isnt exactly a touring machine does this seem a bit idiotic? I suppose that I could freight it down here but that just seems a bit boring. Im used to long distances on my 1150gs and dont mind a challenge but dont want to be absolutely miserable either. I thought the trip might be a nice vacation for myself but dont want it to turn into an absolute disaster.

50599[/snapback]

The problem with the RM (engine paint aside) is the mono disc gear clutch. It simply breaks, nothing more nothing less. Therefore I would not start a long trip without knowing exactly the state of the gear clucth.

Regarding the mileage, I did with no particular problems up to 1200 km a day; once on my V11Sport 2000 and once on a Scura. But I know it's me: I actually get tired only when riding bikes with screen!! :homer:

G.

I toured the west coast and did 3000+ miles in 8 days on my V11 Sport. No windscreen. Enjoyed nearly every minute - except torrential rain in Tacoma Washington. Touring on the V11 Sport is a different kind of thing, but it can be done. Never got over 131 mph with the bike fully loaded though.

Bought my Guzzi 1200 miles from home, floght to another contry where I have lockation, form this lockation flown againt to the bike location ,bought the bike and rode back to "base" at an 850km tha same day.Then I rode home after some days.Have done touring and is OK max per day 700-800km.My full story here

That's on a 1100i Sport,A rosso Mandello vs the Sport is a touring motorcycle, actually that is what it is actually, a sport tourer.It has lots of tourgue and that makes it easy to travel.

It also comes to riding experience ,and how the bike fits you in order to ride some miles per day.No matter what the bike is made for or called.

I can get for breakfast 200-300km with my bike and anytime a 500km is a joy (assuming the bike and me in fit condition)

Now any more info about the built quality of the Mandelo or the condition of the bike I don't have.Perhaps you should consoder some other's comments here that are having relative experiences woth this model.

I've done 800 mile days on my V11, and have riddden from Iowa to Maine no problems. I don't know that I would have liked it with clipons. I replaced them with bars. A few choice additions can make for a very pleasant riding conditions. Consider getting a sheepskin. I know, I know. But they work.

I think you'd have a great time riding the bike home and it should do it no problem. Yes, some clutches have been known to grenade-if it worries you (I don't have any statistics, but I think it's a low fraction) just factor in the cost of a new clutch ~600 bucks if someone else does the work (that's a guess).

Guest Dave Pott
I toured the west coast and did 3000+ miles in 8 days on my V11 Sport. No windscreen
:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Thats pretty damn stout Carl. By the way, how are you feeling these days? Gonna be able to ride again soon?

Guest RPHETTEPLACE

where in Wisconsin is it? I'm at the southern tip and would be happy to give some touring directions and maybe go get a :bier:

.......the mono disc gear clutch. It simply breaks, nothing more nothing less. ....

Goffredo,

Are you basing this on the 3 or 4 incidents with Scura single plates breaking, as related on this forum? Or do you know more about it & if so can you tell us! ie: How many broke? Why they break? Are the units in RM & Scura same?

Thanks.

KB :sun:

Guest citimoto

Thanks for all the input guys. Now the clutch issue is scaring the hell out of me if I choose to ride it back. Being fairly young (35) and suffering through the seats of KTMs and Ducs I can probably get over the discomfort after a while. I was actually going to take it easy and take about 4 days to get back. Avoiding slab where possible. Im torn between this bike and an 04 Aprilia Tuono which is an hour away. Im actually bored with my 1150gs and want something a bit more soulful (soulful, not cantankerous) I know, totally different bikes but I have always been interested in this particular Guzzi model. If I ride home Ill make sure to ,locate some Guzzi dealers before hand. If I purchase this bike anyone want to tag along for specific legs?

Thanks Again,

Chris

I wouldn't worry too much about the clutch, yes some fail(only a handfull have).... and maybe all single plate units eventually will... who knows :huh2: ...but it is not as if every RM, Tenni, and Scura out there have their SP clutches disintegrate in the first 20k miles.

I think it is something to be aware of if you are buying one of these three models, but not necessarily a reason not to buy one, or fear riding it.

Typically you can tell if the clutch is heading south by unusual noises, vibration, and/or unexpected performance characteristics.

As for riding the bike long distance, the RM has a slightly more aggressive riding position than the LeMans, although not by much, and I've put 12+ hours(with some breaks) in the seat, and it was only marginally less comfortable than my old FJ1200... which is a "good thing" :thumbsup:

It is true that riding the RM will probably be less comfortable than your GS, etc... but it really depends on someone's tastes, and I know many many people that tour on V11 Sports all the time, and put on major miles, even with the stock clip-ons :bike:

Heck, go to Sport-Touring.Net, and check out one of the moderators KSANN(he's on here too). He rides an early Sport, and almost never rides his Aprilia in comparison. I think he's put something like 15k miles on it over the last year.

Here's a recent thread, with a similar question as yours:

http://www.sport-touring.net/cgi-bin/msgbo...0;entry577474

.... and on the topic of comparing the RM with a Tuono. Well, they are just different bikes. The Tuono will consistently outperform the RM in almost every 'technical' aspect, but many still find the Guzzi more 'inspiring' to ride. We have several people here that have owned, or currently do own, Aprilias like the Tuono, Mille, or Falco... and often find themselves neglecting to ride the Aprilia in favor of the Guzzi, simply because the Guzzi has plenty of 'performance' for the real-world, and is more 'fun' to ride. But that of course is subjective :D

Good luck!

al

Goffredo,

Are you basing this on the 3 or 4 incidents with Scura single plates breaking, as related on this forum? Or do you know more about it & if so can you tell us! ie: How many broke? Why they break? Are the units in RM & Scura same?

Thanks.

KB :sun:

50631[/snapback]

I have a Rosso Mandello and I abuse the clutch quite a lot.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/221585...21586436eKvpCf#

I have had no problems with mine. I believe there is a difference with the single plate clutch in the Rosso Mandello that makes it OK.

I have travelled 500 miles in just under 8 hours. I find the V11 comfortable at speeds of 70 and up. Below that it feels like work.

If you do the trip right, you can meet up with plenty of people for :bier: and :cheese: (being Wisconsin and all).

There's an excellent dealer near me in eastern Iowa, FWIW.

35 yo? You can do this standing on your head. No problem.