does this seem idiotic?

Guest citimoto

Guest goffredo
Goffredo,

Are you basing this on the 3 or 4 incidents with Scura single plates breaking, as related on this forum? Or do you know more about it & if so can you tell us! ie: How many broke? Why they break? Are the units in RM & Scura same?

Thanks.

KB :sun:

50631[/snapback]

Well, frankly I don't know. What I DO know is that Guzzi eventually recalled all the Cali with single plates on and they simply do not use them anymore on the big engines. And the numbers of similar accidents of people I know who broke or burnt the single plate clutch on either Scura or RM is quite, quite bigger than 4 or 5 case. Actually I don't think I know anyone who did a decent mileage without crashing it...

And if you consider that we on the net are just a tiny percentage of the bikers outside...

G.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, frankly I don't know. What I DO know is that Guzzi eventually recalled all the Cali with single plates on and they simply do not use them anymore on the big engines.  And the numbers of similar accidents of people I know who broke or burnt the single plate clutch on either Scura or RM is quite, quite bigger than 4 or 5 case. Actually I don't think I know anyone who did a decent mileage without crashing it...

And if you consider that we on the net are just a tiny percentage of the bikers outside...

G.

50654[/snapback]

The SP clutch in the 5sp cruisers is totally different than that used on the 6sp V11 Sport models.

But yes, the SP clutch on the cruisers was definitely "bad", no arguments there.

The SP clutch on the V11 Sport models is "suspect", but MG has not uniformly condemned those, nor have the owners. Everyone is keeping an eye on them though.

Check out the recent clutch thread(search for RAM I think) that ran to some riduculous length.... it covers the SP V11 Sport clutches quite extensively, and the theories about their durability, source, etc...

al

I toured the west coast and did 3000+ miles in 8 days on my V11 Sport. No windscreen. Enjoyed nearly every minute - except torrential rain in Tacoma Washington. Touring on the V11 Sport is a different kind of thing, but it can be done. Never got over 131 mph with the bike fully loaded though.

50608[/snapback]

Atta boy....what kind of sissies are we breeding here anyway?? :grin::D:grin:

Actually, I own an RT sofa and a Scura, and have toured both. The BMW is only marginally more comfy. Go ride.

Well, frankly I don't know. What I DO know is that Guzzi eventually recalled all the Cali with single plates on and they simply do not use them anymore on the big engines.  And the numbers of similar accidents of people I know who broke or burnt the single plate clutch on either Scura or RM is quite, quite bigger than 4 or 5 case. Actually I don't think I know anyone who did a decent mileage without crashing it...

G.

50654[/snapback]

Goffredo,

Like Al, my understanding is that the Cali clutches are altogether different to the ones fitted to the RM & Scura.

Are these failures you have heard about thru the internet or do you know the riders/bikes personally?

In what way did the clutches fail?

What is a decent mileage?

How many are you talking about?

Guest chris1

Freaky another Chris BMW GS rider looking to get onto a Guzzi! Chris yesterday I took a Rosso Mandello for a blast, this was the first ever Guzzi ridden by me. It gave me heaps of enjoyment on the open road, but me being daddy long legs, I could rest my elbows on my knees to take the weight off the wrists. Very odd position for a BMW GS rider. The dealer advised the tank is for resting your gut on, but that's Ok if you have a gut to rest with. I don't.

Getting back on my GS after was like getting back into an armchair.

The Guzzi definitly has heaps more fun and character than a GS.

The clutch on this Rosso by the way was real rattly at idle, more than I'd expect from a dry clutch, and I found the transmission snatchy, but that is probably just my lack of experience on this type of bike. This bike is a Jap import with 9000km I think on the clock.

Chris

Guest goffredo
Goffredo,

Like Al, my understanding is that the Cali clutches are altogether different to the ones fitted to the RM & Scura.

Are these failures you have heard about thru the internet or do you know the riders/bikes personally?

In what way did the clutches fail?

What is a decent mileage?

How many are you talking about?

50667[/snapback]

Frankly I heard exactly the opposite: they simply put the very same single plates clutches they used on the RM on the Cali. Absolutely identical in every respect. Same model, same supplier. But I do not want to spread any false rumors. I'll check first hand sources on Anima Guzzista and get back to you. Regarding mechanics I have no clue: I turn the key and if it does not start (never happened so far) I call for mummy! I know personally several people whose clucths stopped workong properly but do not ask me details of what broke and how... But again: I'll check with the cognoscenti and get back to you.

G.

I downloaded the Breva 1100 owners manual: SINGLE PLATE CLUTCH!

There were more than 4 scura with failed clutches. I think we counted 6 They all started cracking arround the center. Maybe the bolts came loose?

I don't know from rosso mandello's with failed clutches.

Thanks for all the input guys. Now the clutch issue is scaring the hell out of me if I choose to ride it back. Being fairly young (35) and suffering through the seats of KTMs and Ducs I can probably get over the discomfort after a while. I was actually going to take it easy and take about 4 days to get back. Avoiding slab where possible.  Im torn between this bike and an 04 Aprilia Tuono which is an hour away.  Im actually bored with my 1150gs and want something a bit more soulful (soulful, not cantankerous) I know, totally different bikes but I have always been interested in this particular Guzzi model.  If I ride home Ill make sure to ,locate some Guzzi dealers before hand. If I purchase this bike anyone want to tag along for specific legs?

Thanks Again,

Chris

50635[/snapback]

Chris,

The comfort of the V11 is not bad at all, but it really depends on your riding style/body type. The seat is fine on the V11 series and I have done plenty of 600 mile days in the saddle both riding one up and also fully loaded two up.

I also use lower clip-ons on my V11 sport so I guess I am into pain :grin: .

If you are planning to take four days, that would be great and you will probably find out that you can do it in 2 to 3 days.

This is the bike if you want SOUL, I am a converted Beemer rider too. Try it and you will be in Love!

Mike

I downloaded the Breva 1100 owners manual: SINGLE PLATE CLUTCH!

There were more than 4 scura with failed clutches. I think we counted 6 They all started cracking arround the center. Maybe the bolts came loose?

I don't know from rosso mandello's with failed clutches.

Well to tell you the truth 6 are not many in how many pieces made with single plate clutch??Maybe there is a some short of minor problem there or wrong maintainance, wrong mechanic service and so on. But :2c: personally I belive that 6 occations doesn't make it a rule.

The Breva engine has been tested on full throtle on the rolling ramp for 60,000miles , no problem reported, I think that's a serious point.

6 from 600 is one procent. The breva 1100 doen't need these problems, and I hope they have learned in mandello. But since they had to take back a lot of calli single plate clutches that must have been noticed there.

6 from 600 is one procent. The breva 1100 doen't need these problems, and I hope they have learned in mandello. But since they had to take back a lot of calli single plate clutches that must have been noticed there.

I bet assembly (certain dates) and or quality of the product.Regardless suplier (same or not)there can always be a series of defect parts

And the right decision is to recall these bikes. Kawasaki has recalled all the ZX-10 because of a problematic front wheel on 2 occasions that broke (a far more dangerous defect though)

P.S. As I said it a rule can't be made out of it , but it is also definatelly logic, one not being confident on having this type of clutch.If problematic it can be a big risk.

Edited by Alex-Corsa

Chris: Bear in mind the Guzzi national rally is in New Cumberland WV over the Memorial Day weekend (Thursday to Sunday). With a little creative navigating this could be on your path home. A good place to see the disreputable crowd you may have gotten yourself messed up with. :thumbsup:

I am about 80 miles southeast of that site, let me know if you are riding through here and we can go for a spin.

John

I bet assembly (certain dates) and or quality of the product.Regardless suplier (same or not)there can always be a series of defect parts

And the right decision is to recall these bikes. Kawasaki has recalled all the ZX-10 because of a problematic front wheel on 2 occasions that broke (a far more dangerous defect though)

P.S. As I said it a rule can't be made out of it , but it is also definatelly logic, one not being  confident on having this type of clutch.If problematic it can be a big risk.

50771[/snapback]

Why don't they just put in Racing Triple plate clutches then you can just dump it all day long and not worry an iota (for a long while anyway) Makes as much sence as having Ohlins on these while nice truly is overkill. :rolleyes: