does this seem idiotic?

Guest citimoto

It does seem idiotic........bloody foolish.......also anal...and fishy in a smelly way.

I have been pointed at (outside the factory, in Mandello), sniggerred at (at V11 UK Bash) and generally made to feel unclean over the unholy racket my lovely SINGLE PLATE CLUTCH makes at tickover. I'm taking pinging, rattling, clacking and the very best description; two hammers fornicating in a galvinised bucket :moon:

I CAN'T HEAR WHAT YOUR SAYING? Wait and I'll engage the clutch....IS THAT BETTER(SORRY I'M shouting), this Scura's clutch is fine, it got a blessing from Agostini's head mechanic.

I have only 32,000 km on it as yet. I let you know when its over the 100,000km. I don't expect trouble, I'll deal with it if it happens and in the mean time I'll enjoy the ride and the cacophony at idle if I don't go deaf first.

In the meantime, I think you all may go blind.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest goffredo
Goffredo, Thanks for following up on this. Was your Scura clutch changed to a twin plate under warranty? What symptoms did it show? It may be common practice some places dealers to change out Scuras to twin plates but certainly not UK. I would really like to know if & in which territories single plates were changed as a matter of course, out of Scuras/ Tennis under warranty.

Re the Calis: I posted the question on Wildguzzi forum. mechanic at dealer confirmed there that single plates were fitted to late Calis. The tech man I spoke with finished with importers around 2000 so wouldn't've had experience of later bikes. Sorry for adding to the confusion.

KB :sun:

51131[/snapback]

Hi there,

I had no symptoms whatsoever. I was fortunate enough to have the bike on loan by Moto Guzzi France ( I did freelance for them as a graphic designer ). So I just had the ride of my life with the Scura: Paris, the Alps, then the World Guzzi Days at Stelvio Pass and Monza, with two track session than the Appennini and the routes to Liguria, then... home! Mandello for the final celebration of the World Guzzi Days and then back home! Not a single problem whatsoever. Nothing but sheer joy! Only the guy in charge of bike mainteneance at Guzzi France, told me one month or so later that they had to change the clutch (and part of the gearbox as well, I think to recall) because of some problems they detected soon after I brought the bike back. And then he told me about the fact the Guzzi was going back to the two discs clutches for V11.

Can't really tell you more about it from the technical standpoint, I am sorry.

I will post the question on the AG forum regarding the changes from single to double disc clutches under warranty. My educated guess is that has never been a policy, rather a back-up procedure somehow agreed or supported by dealres/moto guzzi but never ackoledge as a fact or a subject to a recall. But that would be only my impression. I'll get more data on that and get back to you asap.

Regards,

G.

eeeeeeeeenteresting  :whistle:

51124[/snapback]

....so, to add to the confusion, check out the thread at Guzzitech:

http://wildguzzi.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=2467

And the following excerpt from Ed at Guzzitech:

Scura flywheel is aluminum. EV single plate flywheel is steel and much heavier.

Fader and I both use the steel EV single plate flywheels (that I've significantly lightened) in our race bikes. Cheaper than RAM, and just as light. Lighter than double plate Guzzi clutch, too. They've worked well for an entire season. I just cut one of these EV clutches 3 days ago after Mike Haven at MPH donated one for the race effort. Thanks again, Mike.

RAM and Guzzi single plate clutch plates are the same. MG Cycle sells the plates. I use an organic plate in my race clutches. Bronze has never held up well in Guzzi clutch plates.

http://www.guzzitech.com/store/Raceclutch2.JPG

http://www.guzzitech.com/store/Raceclutch4.JPG

ed

"...Scura flywheel is Aluminium, EV single plate flywheel is steel..."

....another question for the cognosenti I think Goffredo...

KB :sun:

So I wonder if the Scura clutch would take a lightened EV (steel) flywheel ....

Guest citimoto

Hey! Who hijacked my thread? I believe I have lost all ownership rights to it. I was on a climbing trip over the weekend and missed my bid on the Mandello (actually my wife forgot to bid- imagine that). Now im torn between grabbing a Lemans or sitting back and waiting for another Mandello or a v11 sport to come along. For some reason the clipons seem to appeal more to me than the more upright poition offered by other models. I think ive caught the bug though- my next bike will definitely be a Guzzi (as well as a KTM 660 Rallye but thats another site's thread). Thanks for all of your help. Chris

Guest citimoto
Climbing trip? more info please.

51344[/snapback]

Actually stayed close to home and went up to looking glass here in NC. We have some amazing aid lines on long, smooth granite faces that I'm trying to figure out . Had some amazing weather over the weekend.post-1780-1115896484_thumb.jpg