Redline in 6th

O2 V11

Yesterday I went for nearly 300 mile ride. I was trundling along taking in the scenery at about 70mph when I caught up on a couple of bikes in front. As I got closer I could hear what one of them was, needless to say his life was being saved. His mate on the Beull wasn't much quieter. As the pair had slowed and the lead bike wobbled round a corner with his bicycle tyre wide front wheel I took that as my cue to get out of there. I dropped it down a couple of gears and gave it to it. I was looking at a huge straight piece of road in front of me and I kept the throttle pinned. I had run it up to 6000 before but it hit the wall at 7000 and ever so slowly creeped up to 7200 rpm, an indicated 135 mph. Using a gearing table I found on Guzzitech and the tyre sizing off the Bridgestone website, assuming the tacho is correct I should have been doing 128 mph. I had a laugh to myself as the guy had a personalised plate HOGET, a hogget is a year old sheep. Looking at him with his tasseled jacket he certainly looked like a sheep shagger to me. Can anyone tell me, does the fitting of a open lid airbox and less restrictive exhausts enable these bikes to redline in 6th or is my top speed about the best they can do? Mine is stock with just under 3000 miles on the clock but is fitted with a PC.

Rob

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack

Rob, I wasn't too sure what you meant about the sheepshagger Motordavidson Harleycycle Guy's life being saved :huh2: , but speaking for myself, unless I find myself out in front of a Force 5 Hurricane on a long downhill straight, the only RedLine my 6th cog is ever gonna see is the Shockproof Heavy Synthetic that it's spinning in... :grin: I don't reckon an open airbox and PC III would get you there otherwise, either, but I could be wrong...?

EDIT: NOW I get it! :homer: Good one... What is it they say in Kiwiland, "So many sheep... So little time..."? :D

Ratchethack

I wouldn't doubt you can redline it or at least go faster in 6th with an open exhaust and airbox mine feels faster on the freeway and I've done just this I can't prove it yet but another Seat of the Pants observation. And I haven't gotten the bike over 110 yet Its me not the bike. :blush:

yes you can bounce off the limiter in 6th but in order to do it i was flat on the tank on a downhill stretch that was straight for a good couple of miles. At that speed and with my suspension settings i couldn't really read the speedometer to tell you what was indicated and to be honest i didnt really care i was a trifle busy at the time :)

Guest ratchethack

These things are looooooong legged. Both 5th and 6th are overdrive ratios.

5th = 1:.9655 (29/28)

6th = 1:.8519 (27/23)

My rough calculation says 8K RPM in 6th = 138 MPH

...as indicated by Veglia Borletti <_<

These things are looooooong legged.  Both 5th and 6th are overdrive ratios.

...as indicated by Veglia Borletti <_>

50755[/snapback]

I mean really how fast do we need to go, Want to rocket get a Rocket I say. The goose goes just fine and infact faster to 80 than many rockets (not the new superliter bikes but still most) I'm fine with'er tho I do want to get a rocket to play around with until I'm older and have to get a geezer cruiser. but till then :bbblll:

These things are looooooong legged.  Both 5th and 6th are overdrive ratios.

...as indicated by Veglia Borletti <_>

50755[/snapback]

Funny you should mention those numbers.

Last weekend I hit 138mph in sixth gear and I was just about 8K....I think I was a little below, but the hill I was climbing was about to crest, so I did not look long enough to compare.

I had a strong tailwind and easily could have hit the 8400(?) rpm rev limiter with another mile of open road, I mean track.

Stock(scura muffler) and open box. (not really relevant as the tail wind made the difference)

I like a bike that will not pull an honest redline in top gear because it gives you room to go faster down hill or down wind.

I was once following a Corvette and and FJ11 or 1200 down the MacDonald-Cartier (TO-Kingston) at 120 veglia MPH on my V65, we hit a downgrade and they walked away from me as I was at the redline....could have gone faster with a sixth gear...oh well.

I have often wondered what it would take to pull an honest redline in sixth gear.

Given enough road space, I think 80RWHP will do it, and some are putting out quite a bit more power. I figure my mostly stock bike is making about 75-80 RWHP and I have pulled 130MPH/ 7000 RPMs with almost no wind and a slight upgrade in sixth gear, but 8000 RPM seemed like maybe I could make it with good conditions.

Last weekend I made 800RPM effortlessly, with a 20-30MPH tailwind even going uphill.

I am still looking for a safe place to really test it, like a private air field...I think most tracks are too tight to test top speed :huh2:

I am still looking for a safe place to really test it, like a private air field...I think most tracks are too tight to test top speed :huh2:

50782[/snapback]

I've thought about that since I started riding I think the only safe places are in the desert. Which we have none around here, OR pretty much all of ND but they don't take kindly to speeders, ...rat bastards -not happen to me but I've heard and seen them pull over whole sections of freeway onto an offramps and apparently give out lots of tickets at once. How Lazy :ninja:

Humm,

I hit 140+ on a long down hill dip in Arizona a few years back and I don't recall the engine being close to redline. Perhaps 6500 to 7000 rpm. This was on my 00 V11 Sport. I also did 137 mph. on flat ground with my 03 Rosso bone stock. I know the tach was at about 7K. I think if you could be close to redline, the speedo would read 150 plus. Need more horsepower :grin:

Don't forget that the veglia tach reads about 3 to 500 rpm off :huh2:

Mike

I don't even pay attention to the speedometer when checking the maximum speeds attained. I use a Sigma bicycle speedometer that's been carefully calibrated and then just recall the maximum speed when it's convenient to do so. To date, the best I've done on a bike is 134.1 on my Sport 1100i on a clear 1 mile stretch and 135 on the V11 Sport with bags. Neither time were the bikes up to their limit, I just reach a limit of my own before the bikes reach theirs. I did hit 131 on the V11 Sport when it was fully loaded for an eight day trip. These bikes are awesome at times.

was once following a Corvette and and FJ11 or 1200 down the MacDonald-Cartier (TO-Kingston)

Dlaing.. are you talking 120 on the 401 eastbound? what the heck you doing up in Ontario? Toronto's my old home town...

Anyway, when I was at the track day at Laguna I don't think I hit over 110 and I was really trying to flog in on the straightaway.. Mind you, I was also shutting it down sooner that the other riders heading into corner 2.. :helmet: You would need an airstrip or long desert road to wind it out to the top...

I think I've had the Guzz to about 125 or so.. I really like the engine when its revving from 5500-7000..

Cheers, Tim

I confirmed with my GPS that the speedo guage on my V11 is 5-7 mph optimistic at speed, and that my bike anyways, maxes out about 131ish mph, after a long long straight, this done on a closed course track of course! Unless you find your self with a strong tailwind, or a downhill straight, these things will not hit the rev limiter in high gear.

Ciao, Steve G.