Rumor-mongering

jrt

From a certain "TxTodd" in a certain US town "Houston"

Crossposted from Guzzitech-

From a reliable source at MGNA:

No 05 Californias are being produced,

EV Touring will be produced later this year, as 06 models.

And no, Frank, I don't know what colors will come to the US.

No word on other Californias, but don't hold your breath.

V11/Spine frame is dead on the vine, no more will be produced.

Breva 1100 on schedule for Sept 05,

Griso early 06.

All the usual disclaimers apply,

not responsible for errors or omissions..

YMMV, don't try this at home, professional rider on a closed course,

motorcycling is inherently dangerous, wear a helmet at all times.

Prices subject to change, look both ways before crossing,

wash your hands before dinner, to thine own self be true.

This source has proven reliable in the past.

This information and $1.96 will get you a large black coffee at Starbucks.

We heard similar from an MG dealer at Erin Rally.

Breva production coming on stream & Griso: pretty much as above. New model of Cali to be produced. MGS also to be produced as talked about elsewhere here.

Baldini will probably remember the details better than me.

...Baldini will probably remember the details better to me.....

...heh! heh! you think so? very funny.... :wacko:

yeh he said there'd be a MGS01 style bike using the Breva motor/trans, & Cali, he's ridden the Griso said it was great (different frame to the Breva). Had a quick go on his Breva 1100. Gearbox is very sweet, really slick like a Jap box, much, much better change than the V11. Steers really nice, suspension felt good, esp rear end with long single side s/a made V11 feel crude. Seat very comfortable & generally looks really well thought out. Some really nice little touches like the unobtrusive pannier mounts, angled tyre valves. Didn't feel like it had as much bottom end/mid range as the V11 but revs well & was pretty smooth. Can see how it would be more appealing to mainstream tham previous Guzzis, another step down the same path.....he's got a waiting list on them, guess that's good news.

KB :sun:

Guest Nogbad
Just a pity it's uglier than a bulldog chewing a wasp :2c:

54060[/snapback]

Why can't they do a V11 with the Breva engine and driveline? That would look really nice. Oh, I forgot. The huge Ural style car alternator between the pots. Damn.

...Why can't they do a V11 with the Breva engine and driveline? ...

I prefer the feel of V11 motor. It's got more bottom end & pos midrange, (tho mines's got cans etc so it's just what i remember of std one. Dunno what more could be easily had out of the new motor with same mods) but new box & drive seems to work great, i mean loads better. I didn't think it looked as bad in life as in the photos & it doesn't look worse than a BMW which i imagine is the point...

Moving alternator means they've been able to mount the motor further forward which can only be a good thing.

I recall from an article on the Breva that the engine was purposfully designed to rev higher- as you said 'like a Jap bike'. I've forgotten what changes they did to accomplish this- shorter stroke I guess, along with a lighter flywheel. Not sure how I'll feel about that when I test ride one.

Personally- I look forward to the Ural-style alternator. I think the silly alt. on the main shaft was a mistake- it never put out the kind of juice that Guzzi needed to have (I'm thinking mostly of touring folks and their heated clothing, amphitheater sound systems and aircraft search lights).

Big J- nice imagery there :bier:

...the engine was purposfully designed to rev higher- as you said 'like a  Jap bike'.  I've forgotten what changes they did to accomplish this- shorter stroke I guess, along with a lighter flywheel....

he said the whole motor was new, crank & everything. It certainly feels like it's got lighter internals, a bit buzzy yeh - more japanese. It's got a flashing red light comes on at 7K telling you it's time to change gear, think red line was same 8K tho. maybe it's designed capable of more revs in future - like for in a sports bike?

KB

If you read the reviews the Breva output is somewhere between the cali's and the V11's. The reviews I have read make it sound like its tuned for a flat spread of torque rather than high rpm kinda like the boxer BM's they have done a bit of work to get then engine to spin up quicker but they havn't done a whole lot to the actual redline. My 1100 sport and I suspect the V11's are best between 5000 and 8000rpm anyway. Breva powered MGS01 and V11? the V11's frame would require extensive rengineering to take the drivetrain. Anedotaly eveidence says if you grease the unis on the exposed drive shafts regualry they will easily outlast the fully encolsed older unis.

Single sided swing arms are really for looks and make the rear wheel easier to remove they do nothing for the handling if the bike and in fact detract as the have to be heavier to achive the same strength as a double sided swing arm adding to unsprung wieght. Ducati orginally fitted one to the 916 series of bikes as they orginally intened to go endurance racing. They never did thats why they went back to the convetional swing arm on the 749/999's.

If they are going to make a MGS01 style bike with the breva motor they better have some serious hot up bits the Breva 1100 according to the factory specs is down on the V11 let alone trying to be any serious performance machine. Athough the Breva 1100 has new cases.

NB: this is purely speculation but one of the problems of making a larger capcity motor was even the fourvalve heads/ cases had to have a extra bit of metal welded on the cases to accept the cylinder studs where they fitted the constraints on space probally lead to some of the problems the fourvalvers have had when they are run lean enought to pass the current emissions. The current cases have been around 40 years and are pretty well at the end of developmen they can't physically be stroked or bored any further (remebering the factory is in the mass production getting bike past emissions buiness ie charlie in (country of you chioce) has just built a 2000cc special using the guzzi cases). lets face it if they had any kind of buiness sense have moved the cylinder studs out a bit furtherm anyone prepared to convice the local guzzi dealer to strip downa n 1100 breva so someon can go ove it with a set of calipers?. Then it may well be easy to redesign the four valve head to fit the newer motor which was supposed to be a stop gap side project anyway. But saying the breva 1100 is tuned to be a rever like a jap bike is a bit of a stretch spool up speed inprovments don't neascarily affect the outright power. At the moment in the Guzzi range the V11 is still top of the power tree.

Far as I could tell the Breva was down on torque to the V11 across the rev range. It picks up at 5/6k like a V11 but probably not to the same peak power. The fuelling seemed well sorted, no bad flatspots & very, very smooth. Redline is still 8K. It didn't have the bottom end grunt of the V11, nor according to specs, the top end power (but there's not much in it there I wouldn't think).

Exhaust/intake/PC111 have given more torque, power & driveability to my V11. Wonder what same would do for the Breva. It has been designed to meet latest Emmissions regs, & maybe is a bit strangled.

If crankcases are new & they have plans for it you'd think they'd spread the studs. But same dealer also mentioned 70deg V motor w/intake above/exhaust below (seen photos this here I think) is ongoing.

Re the s/a, I think it's that it's a lot longer than previous that makes it better, not that it's single sided (which, as you say is probably for convenience/looks). Back end felt very good, but I didn't ride it long & I'm off the Scura ...

The Breva has a "Jap" feel not in that it makes bundles of top end, but that it feels like a turbo'd sewing machine.......like a SR500 isn't like a B33..... it is easy to ride, comfortable, smooth (no torque reaction or heavy/low frequency vibes), & it needs to be revved to go quick(ish). Also seems sorted out of the box.

Seems that's what sells a roadbike.

Guest Steve_W
Re the s/a, I think it's that it's a lot longer than previous that makes it better, not that it's single sided (which, as you [Murray] say is probably for convenience/looks).

I suppose you could count this as convenience, but it also allows that big muffler to tuck in better. That was a distinct advantage of the SSSA on my '96 VFR750; the exhaust pipe and muffler were visibly more compact than on a CBR900 (Fireblade) of comparable vintage.