OT: Centauro wheelie

Admin Jaap

Got to ride a very well sorted out Centaro last year. A buddy and I put a day into into Northern New York Adirondak region. He spent alot of time sorting his Centaro out with EFI mods, chip tuning, pods, cans, x-over, etc... We swapped bikes in between a stop and it was quite a contrast from the V-11. I had a blast on the bike and he felt the lemans was very slugish. I felt the Centaro turned-in and, spun-up quicker and with the CF cans had quite the bark. Took a while for me to get used to the position but I found it more comfortable and quickly became one with the bike.

A pic of our bikes someplace along the way.. :race: .

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took a while for me to get used to the position but I found it more comfortable and quickly became one with the bike.

i nearly bought a Centauro three years ago. there was a bunch of new ones, still unsold, at some Belgian dealer. Price was really low.

I went to try one, and i loved the snapness, the brutality, the real agressivity of the 4 valves. I thought it was an exhilirating engine and yes, if you have a Centauro and compare it with a V11, the latter must indeed feel slugish and slow.

why didn't i buy it ? The seating position. You're either on the tank, but your feet are right, or you feel ok on the seat but you're having your feet fwd. Something definitively wrong in the seating position for me...

But that engine ...wow....

why didn't i buy it ? The seating position. You're either on the tank, but your feet are right, or you feel ok on the seat but you're having your feet fwd. Something definitively wrong in the seating position for me...

54364[/snapback]

Too bad because all you need are V11 pegs to eliminate the forward set of the pegs and it is just right.

The engine is amazing but has so much mechanical noise it sounds almost as bad as the dry clutch on my Ducati Monster!! (not that I mind either)

v50man -- 'splain that a little about fastest ever on a straight line?  How do they handle leaned over?  Do new lines help eliminate oill leaks, etc.?  what helps?   what's your opinion on overall performance?

54347[/snapback]

Tom --

Bought the bike new in late '98. Already had the v50III and the Ducati, but had new bike fever and had wanted a Centauro ever since I saw one on a trip to Florida. To me, the styling was astounding.

It can hang in the twisties, but it is not near as light or flickable (RELATIVELY SPEAKING!) as the V11. The long wheelbase contributed to great stability at speed, but the bike's heft made it a lot of work around town (where, unfortunately, most of my riding occurs).

I had Will Creedon's chip and Bub Bad Dogs, and I can say that it was easily the most VISCERAL motorcycle I have ever been on. Above 4000 rpms, it would damn near pull your arms off.

It just wasn't near as much fun to ride as my old Ducati, so I continued to rack up miles on the Ducati while the Centauro would sit untouched (except for polishing) for months at a time.

Last year, I decided that it was not going to be my bike anymore. Same as in the beginning -- LOVED the looks of the bike but didn't like hauling it around.

Sold it. Bought the V11.

No regrets, but if I were a rich man I'd have kept the Centauro. Perhaps a larger person (I'm 5'8" and go 160) would find it more manageable.

I wouldn't NOT recommend the bike to anyone. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

v50

P.S. Would have gotten back on this sooner but I just got back in from a six-hour ride with one of my buddies who has a K1200 -- can't get the smile off my face. :grin::grin::grin:

P.S.S. Oil lines were a factory recall. As regards the front forks, my mechanic and I began to call WP "weeping pneumatics." Eventually solved under warranty. No other mechanical issues.

I vividly remember, while touring the factory in 1999, one of the most talented of Guzzi test riders was pulling long wheelies on a new Centauro only coming down to make the pending corner, he would do this lap after lap.

Very impressive, but mentioned to my buddy whom is also a Guzzi dealer..." I don't think I would want THAT one" 8-)

The factory doesn't break them in with kids gloves.

William

Santa Cruz

I vividly remember, while touring the factory in 1999, one of the most talented of Guzzi test riders was pulling long wheelies on a new Centauro only coming down to make the pending corner, he would do this lap after lap.

Very impressive, but mentioned to my buddy whom is also a Guzzi dealer..." I don't think I would want THAT one" 8-)

The factory doesn't break them in with kids gloves.

William

Santa Cruz

54381[/snapback]

...and then you came down from the acid trip. Unless he (the talented test rider) was a 40 lb. midget with some nitrous secreted away, I can't see this happening.

No disrespect -- just my :2c:

I tell ya-- you gotta love this forum!

I haven't minded hauling big bikes around (remember the Yamaha TDM??? Beautiful bike-- awsome. A real workout in the hills too. Fun. I'm trying to get a sense of this bike - comparing it. If the riding position can be adjusted, well... maybe....

On the v11 Le mans-- this is a wonderfully handling bike. Sounds like the Centauro is geared pretty low to get the front wheel up a little :D

Too bad because all you need are V11 pegs to eliminate the forward set of the pegs and it is just right.

well, i have ergonomics issues : i'm small (but beautiful ;)) so there really was an issue with the tank and the pegs...

just like there was one with the beautiful 1100 Sport BLUE (yes, one of the very mysterious Blue 1100. i know it existed, i tried one ;-)

when trying the 1100 sport, it was just far too long and i was totally extented to get to all the controls at the same time...

Makes you wonder who they designed their bike for ? Wasn't there an issue like that with the old Laverda bikes, where they were far too big and high, even for the common mortal ?

There is a story that de Tomaso himself designed the daytona tank, who could argue with him? Dr john isn't small either. And I must say, i'm 1.90 mtr, I have no problems with ergonomics. But if you are small, it might get uncomfortable.

Pierro Laverda is a tall man too.

...and then you came down from the acid trip.  Unless he (the talented test rider) was a 40 lb. midget with some nitrous secreted away, I can't see this happening.

No disrespect -- just my  :2c:

54390[/snapback]

I guess you have not seen the guy at Trev Deeley Buell in Vancouver wheelstand a full dressed Harley.

Wheelies are not necessarily a function of power but of skill and technique. However power wheelies are fun too!

I guess you have not seen the guy at Trev Deeley Buell in Vancouver wheelstand a full dressed Harley.

Wheelies are not necessarily a function of power but of skill and technique. However power wheelies are fun too!

54425[/snapback]

Power wheelies are what I was referring to. It's hard to imagine a factory test rider popping (glazing) a new clutch. Mine would lift the front wheel about as far as you do in your wheelie pic.

Not exactly the "12 O' Clock" wheelie pictured at the beginning of the thread.

But, then again, I do not claim to possess the skill and technique required to pop wheelies on big, fat bikes. I just figured that if my 160 lb. ass couldn't on a tweaked Centauro, there was no way a factory tester could do so on a stocker.

I could very well be wrong -- though I find the thought to be distasteful. :grin: