03 Black LeMans Totalled in NorCal

al_roethlisberger

My buddy Dr Gil was just about to get a test-ride on the "Guzzi of his dreams" as the owner of an 03 black LeMans was bringing it up to his house for the weekend.

But the owner unfortunately crashed on Hwy1 and totalled the bike within 100 miles of Gil's house.

Fortunately the owner was apparently OK, but the bike is now a "project bike" from what I hear :unsure:

I think I know who the owner was, but since am not 100% sure, will let him tell the tale.

.... just glad to hear he didn't go over the cliff, and seems to be basically OK :thumbsup:

And I'm very sorry to hear about the bike :( That makes one less of our now "collector" bikes in North America <_>

So, Gil is still on the search(see the classifieds). He lost most of last year with valve trouble from his old Triumph, and this year is quickly becoming a disappointment as well now that the Triumph finally died.

Hopefully he can find another LeMans soon, as this was quite a disappointment.

BTW, he apparently really likes black :P

al

all I gotta say is "oh brother!" I guess I've had better days -- but then again, I've had worse too. I WAS hoping to break the news/tell the tale in a week or so.... but now's a good a time as any!

Sure enough, I had a pretty sure prospect for buying my goose in Eureka,CA and I was heading up that way round about anyway so had planned on stopping in up there ..... Friends Dave and Jamileh (from this forum) have a place near Mendocino -- we all decided to meet in Calistoga, near Napa and ride all over by Clear Lake and then ride over 128 to the coast. We did and it was a riot! On a couple of turns on hwy 175 (I think!) I did scrape my kickstand-- 2 points there-- (1) I felt totally in control/confident - bike handled perfectly (2) while delivering a bike for sale, maybe slowing down would have been a good idea too! Anyway after a great day on bikes we made it their bungalow (beautiful to boot), dinner, and sleep. Next day we leave. Dave (on the Balabio) and Jamileh (on Ducati Monster) were going to ride with me up to Westport on hwy1 and then turn around. Westport is where hwy 1 turn inland and heads 22 miles to Leggett and hwy 101. We parted company and I took off. The road is perfect, albeit isolated. I had scrapped kickstand again a couple of times and told myself to have fun later-- just after saying that I went into a left hand turn that kept tightening up -- kickstand again -- and then went blind. On the other side was a rock slide -- not to where to road the blocked, but where larger rocks were strewn across the lane. I leaned over more to try and avoid the rocks, especially one large fellow, my knee touched down, my toe was dragging , no more lean angle to go to. My front wheel ran over that larger rock (canteloupe sized) and the bike went down instantly. I slid off on my back (with my hands neatly tucked onto my chest!), slid across the ashpalt, onto the gravel shoulder, and over the right hand cliff type ledge. Tumbled 20' down and stopped. Completely unhurt. My goose tumbled to the same 20' but 40 ' from me. Landed right side up on a 60 degree steep slope hill, and the motor still running. I crawled over to the bike and shut it off. The bike fell 100' down the hill and stopped. I hauled my 3 bags up from below, took off my equipment and headed back down to see what I could do. A couple stopped, offered to help, went back into Leggett and called a tow truck. 2 volunteer firemen stopped by and waited with me for a couple of hours but no tow truck. They left. After another hour, a chp rolled in and he stayed with me another 2 hours or so. No ticket, no report writing, no nothing. He said stuff happens after reviewing the scene. Tow truck came and cabled my bike up that hill with me and another guy trying hard to keep the bike upright while dragging it up the hill. Last 10' were sheer so bike had to be totally dragged. Got it on top of the road, I started it up :D had one good mirror, brakes and clutch, tires, motor. Shifter was broken off. I could just get my toe into the shifter area to shift kindof. CHP shook my hand and sent me on my way. Rode 45 minutes into Laytonville, spent the night. Got up at 6 and rode 350 miles back to Stockton. Got home, called insurance, and rode over the hill to moto italiano in San Jose! A friend drove my back to Stockton! Insurance told me they'd fix the bike, etc.

So wearing good gear is a good thing. Low siding is better than high siding. I am truly sorry too to the sport touring Dr Gil :mg:

I definately want to get another guzzi. That is one tough bike.

I don't know if it's totaled either. So Al, you know more than me there :huh2:

Usually I'm a habitually cautious rider as you'all know who've ridden with me. Usually I'm slow on blind turns, etc. I'm thinking that's a good way to be still.

Also, I can't say enough good things about Dave and Jamileh (she'll be wondering why on earth can't I spell her name!). They totally wanted to drive their bike trailer over to Laytonville and pick me up, etc. and by looking at my bike, one could see that logic!

Wow Tomsp... good time for me to read your story, with the heat in Texas I am riding with sandals and shorts (but always my full face helmet)... I need to get real and buy me some propper summer riding gear... My MG handles great and is easy to forget that shit happens!!!

:mg:

Thanks for sharing your story

Anthro

Tom

Bummer ! Clearly you're as tough as the Guzzi ! The mere sight of gravel on a blind corner loosens my bowels.. I'm impressed that you were able to ajdust and not fixate on the target...

Glad to see you emerged unscathed with a hella story ...

oh.. and I'm retracting my offer to let you ride the Tuono... :grin:

Glad to hear you are ok Tom!!! You can fix the bike, but not body.

I must compliment you on your choice of roads. The Leggett express as we call it, from #1 to #101 is understatedly a legend up these parts. Arguably the most extreme entertaining and demanding 22 miles one could care to ride. I know of two local buddies who have chucked their big Jap superbikes over the edge on that chunk of road, with hospital stays required, and a tow truck with 150 feet of cable for the bikes. I know this road well, having ridden it dozens of times. I stop friends at the start now, to warn them of the nature of the road. This road is the natural habitat of the dual purpose or hooligan style bike.

Tread carefully!

Ciao, Steve G.

GuzzTim -- "fixate on the target".... :) I ran over the bloody rock! or do you mean not fixate on the cliff :bier:

Steve G. -- I saw 6-8 other bikes in that 6 hour period waiting- 3 were dual sports, 2 where goldwings, 1 was r6. My two friends rode the rode the next day looking for "signs" ")

Bummer Tom. Glad to hear that you weren't hurt. Amazing that you were able to ride the bike home after plunging down a hill like that. I'll bet you were going pretty slow.

Your incident sounds like it happened similar to mine on Hwy 58. Unfamiliar road....been riding a long time....feeling good in the turns and then along comes one of those decreasing radius turns....add some rocks or sand and its low side city.

I was fortunate that mine stopped in the gravel shoulder before going down the hill.

Once again, glad your alright.

BTW, make sure to keep all your gear if its damaged. You may be able to get it replaced via insurance.

speaking of gear-- everything looks like new. No kidding. Funny thing too == I had those Tekno Bags on, plus my tank bag. After I stopped rolling down the mountainside on my back, I looked up and saw ONE of my tekno bags flying overhead past me -- very weird. It landed way on down that hill and took me 30 minutes to retrieve it! Looks like new though. Helmet looks great, never hit the pavement. Jacket w/armor perfect, and Frank Thomas pants/armor perfect. Left Sidi boot was chewed up.

Tom, I'm glad to hear you survived virtually unscathed. For those who have seen my recent post in the "member intro" forum, you know I was not so lucky. "Blind corners/hills" are a crap shoot at best. I certainly learned the hard way to do what you recommend. . . "slow way down" . . . that's really the only wise action to take when confronting these common situations.

I too am a big proponent of full protective gear on every ride. I hope those that don't protect themselves willl take a look at this graphic thread before they venture out on the highways and biways unprotected.

Tim, glad you're OK. bet that was a long 8hrs waiting on the tow truck.

But F**K!!! that bike ran 100' down a mountainside & still took you 350miles home! Get in touch with Guzzi marketing...or on second thoughts....maybe not ....

Take it easy.

KB :sun:

cartwheeled down a mountainside...... not rolled! When it got back on top, it did run rough and wouldn't idle. The 45 minute ride to Laytonville the throttle seemed really touchy with gaps in power with consequent jerks/leaps. But next morning, idled perfect and ran perfect -- very smooth howbeit looked like sh... Funny thing is too, me just adding up stuff in my head-- the goose may very well be cooked-- find out tomorrow...