prayers to those in path of Hurricane Katrina

dlaing

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this will cause more damage than any previous hurricane in the gulf. Theyre talking about New Orleans being under 20ft of water, they say the pumps will be overwhelmed & shut down. Massive wipeout of the electric grid too. Oh well as I'm in the business of making electric meters this is more work for me I guess. People have had ample warning to get out I guess.

Guest Nogbad

Has it got worse? Last reports I saw on our international news was that it wasn't that strong, though having said that, they did say there was the possibility it would gather strength.

Has it got worse? Last reports I saw on our international news was that it wasn't that strong, though having said that, they did say there was the possibility it would gather strength.

58851[/snapback]

Cat 5 at last report. I-55 North into Mississippi looking pretty gridlocked on the news. k

...STORM INFORMATION...

AT 100 PM CDT...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE KATRINA WAS LOCATED NEAR

LATITUDE 26.5 NORTH...LONGITUDE 88.6 WEST OR ABOUT 225 MILES

SOUTHEAST OF THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 175 MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS.

HURRICANE KATRINA IS A CATEGORY FIVE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR

SIMPSON SCALE. SOME MINOR FLUCTUATIONS IN STRENGTH IS POSSIBLE

DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS. HOWEVER...KATRINA IS EXPECTED TO

MAKE LANDFALL AT A CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE PACKING SUSTAINED

160 MPH WINDS. HURRICANE KATRINA IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST

NEAR 12 MPH AND A GRADUAL TURN TOWARD THE NORTHWEST IS EXPECTED

LATER TODAY.

Apparently New Orleans is about 12 ft. BELOW sea level. There are dikes on either side of the city keeping out the Mississippi River and a lake. Not only will the area be hit with a massive rainfall, but also a storm crest which is expected to push the ocean level up 20-28 feet, catastrophically overwhelming the dikes and flooding the city.

Predictions are that "Old Town" may dissappear. Hopefully the "naysayers" are all wrong about this!

My thoughts and hopes go out to Vespa New Orleans, where I bought my Rosso Corsa. She's now happy she's in Southern California now, where all we have to worry about is earthquakes, brush fires, mud slides and assorted civil disturbences.

To all the public safety folks in the way of the storm, stay safe!

Guest redguzziv10

i suppose i should really have started a new thread but...

for the fourth day i have watched the utter carnage caused by Katrina.

Firstly, i am deeply sorry for all who have been affected by it and who will continue to be affected for many months to come.

Secondly, i am thankful that here in the UK we haven't got the constant shadow of such disasters looming over us.

thirdly (and here comes the can of beans) is that Bush as complete an imbecile as he comes across. Thousands dead and dying, the prospect now of disease setting in. the biggest humanitarian crisis of our time, and that Pratt comes on the TV and says "hey guys, take it easy on the Gas will ya"

the aid given so far seems to be far less than many third world operations in recent years. and this is in your own back yard. Surely he could have figured something out by now.

i'm sorry if i seem a bit terse this morning but i'm thousands of miles away and he's making MY blood boil.

I just cannot believe you guys out there voted him back in

.. now for the backlash, eh!

Yet, just perhaps, if you gave the extra cash you're going to spend on a personalised number plate to a relief organization it might do some good for this, or some other worthy cause?

It must be wonderful to be able to compartmentalise your life so thoroughly.

Pete

Yet, just perhaps, if you gave the extra cash you're going to spend on a personalised number plate to a relief organization it might do some good for this, or some other worthy cause?

It must be wonderful to be able to compartmentalise your life so thoroughly.

Pete

59196[/snapback]

Yah, or trade all our fuel injected overkills of motorcycles for 850Ts or better still Honda scooters assuming they have politically correct catalytic convertors, and take the extra money to give to some "non-profit" organization where the CEO makes ten times what we make.

Hey all you cheap people who want to do good!

One way is to give blood.

There is a national shortage in the USA.

So if you are willing and able, now or soon is a good time to donate.

Guest redguzziv10

In the last six months my contributions to good causes have exceeded £5000. Mencap, Amnesty International, Greenpeace, and Tsunami Aid. Don't compartmentalise people just because they have an opinion...

and yes, i do have a wonderful life

Yah, or trade all our fuel injected overkills of motorcycles for 850Ts or better still Honda scooters assuming they have politically correct catalytic convertors, and take the extra money to give to some "non-profit" organization where the CEO makes ten times what we make.

59198[/snapback]

You know as well as I do that that isn't what I was saying. Such an argument is fascile and beneath you Dave, (it is Dave isn't it???).

The blood issue is a good one. I can't give blood any more due to having been in England during the mad cow thing but it's easy and painless so go out there and get stuck!

Pete