Griso Presentation!

biesel

lighter internals than Breva, it's gonna be real revvy....still i bet you got an old T bike flywheel around somewhere...

Keith :sun:

60832[/snapback]

T flywheel? Pffft! I've got an Eldo one I've drilled and filled with Mallory and depleted uranium! I have to use a fork lift to move it around the workshop :P:grin:

Pete

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tungsten (Wolfram for our German friends) is slightly more dense than DU without all that pesky radiation. Irirdium is even more dense, but it's a little on the expensive side (~$1000 US per gram). Besides, with DU the flywheel is decaying to Thorium, which is not very dense at all. Heck in 1.8 billion years, it'll barely be 21 pounds, let alone 28. :nerd:

Tungsten (Wolfram for our German friends) is slightly more dense than DU without all that pesky radiation.  Irirdium is even more dense, but it's a little on the expensive side (~$1000 US per gram).  Besides, with DU the flywheel is decaying to Thorium, which is not very dense at all.  Heck in 1.8 billion years, it'll barely be 21 pounds, let alone 28. :nerd:

60871[/snapback]

That cracked me up. Otis Elevator Company has been using DU for elevator counterweights for decades. It only takes a layer of paint to block the alpha emissions. Tungsten is too damn brittle for anything requiring mechanical strength and it's had to work with besides. Now that Coleman has stopped making their Thorium laced lantern mantles, we won't even have a place for all of the decaying flywheels in a couple of billion years. Drat!!! :P

T flywheel? Pffft! I've got an Eldo one I've drilled and filled with Mallory and depleted uranium! I have to use a fork lift to move it around the workshop :P  :grin:

Pete

60836[/snapback]

Hey Pete, let me know when your first batch of Titanium Dioxide coated aluminum time gears for big blocks has been released. I'd like a set with the optional Woods metal and carbon fiber laminate beauty inserts in addtition to the DU loaded woodruff key/mass concentrators. Add some rubber chicken lube to install it all with and I'm good.

rumor has it that the griso won't make it to the US before 2007....

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page...eID=2511&Page=1

if the triumph 675 lands before that, tough.

60908[/snapback]

I talked to the Aprilia guys yesterday while I was trying to find out when the Breva will show in the USA (late October). They said the Griso was on line for 2006 (should be a 2007 model). My very uneducated guess on that is that it's October all over again. Isn't that when Chevy traditionally releases their new pick-em-ups?

Hey Pete, let me know when your first batch of Titanium Dioxide coated aluminum time gears for big blocks has been released. I'd like a set with the optional Woods metal and carbon fiber laminate beauty inserts in addtition to the DU loaded woodruff key/mass concentrators. Add some rubber chicken lube to install it all with and I'm good.

60877[/snapback]

Great! A maret niche that hasn't been covered yet :grin:

Incidentally the Griso/Breva training stuff has been sent to me on a disc as my email has been a bit haywire due to a change to broadband, (See, another *modern* thing that's even more useless than the thing it replaces :bbblll: ) I'll try to copy it onto my hard drive so I can email it to people but I'll probably need Jude to help me do that 'cos I'm a bit fick like :nerd:

Pete

rumor has it that the griso won't make it to the US before 2007....

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page...eID=2511&Page=1

if the triumph 675 lands before that, tough.

60908[/snapback]

Is this all still the result of the vapor entrapment equipment not being good enough for California or is there some other reason? I mean we've had Brevas for months now and I have no reason to doubt that the Griso will be here by the end of the year so why the delay in the USA? Is somebody being particularly mongoloid or is there a *real* reason? Given the good press both the Breva and Griso are getting you'd expect they'd be shipping 'em by the container load :stupid:

Pete

Is this all still the result of the vapor entrapment equipment not being good enough for California or is there some other reason? I mean we've had Brevas for months now and I have no reason to doubt that the Griso will be here by the end of the year so why the delay in the USA? Is somebody being particularly mongoloid or is there a *real* reason? Given the good press both the Breva and Griso are getting you'd expect they'd be shipping 'em by the container load :stupid:

Pete

60921[/snapback]

The Breva was supposed to be here by now but California had to bollix the certification by demanding a re-design of the tank spill over or something like that. Back to the drawing boards. That Guzzi can even produce a new design and get it implemented in less than 60 days speaks volumes compared to past Guzzi efforts.

Pete

60921[/snapback]

CARB (California Air Resources Board) is chock full of retards, Pete! How'd you know?

I can see why having to redesign the Griso to meet CA's ever-increasingly-convoluted smog requirements is holding things up. From the looks of it, there's not space to store a book of matches on the Griso; where are they going to hide 5# of useless smog cr@p?

I suppose I shouldn't complain tho'; our worst smog days now are WAY better than our "so-so" smog days were when I was a kid...

Ride on,

:bike:

CARB (California Air Resources Board) is chock full of retards, Pete! How'd you know?

I can see why having to redesign the Griso to meet CA's ever-increasingly-convoluted smog requirements is holding things up. From the looks of it, there's not space to store a book of matches on the Griso; where are they going to hide 5# of useless smog cr@p?

I suppose I shouldn't complain tho'; our worst smog days now are WAY better than our "so-so" smog days were when I was a kid...

Ride on,

:bike:

60929[/snapback]

Look, I've visited LA a few times and it's a zoo. There is no public transport and the roads are full of people driving HUGE cars with one person in them. I know that everybody likes the freedom of personal transport but I lived in London BEFORE Thatcher gutted the public transport system and it was GREAT!!!! Virtually anytime, day or night, you could hop on a bus or the tube and get anywhere in the city in about an hour max. That meant I could save my motorbike for having fun!!!!!! LA is, (like Sydney!) f@cked!!!!!

In a city like LA there really IS a smog problem and despite what people may think there really IS a problem with climate change, (Believe me, I now live in an area where it is VERY apparent!!!) But having said that having universal rules for smog emissions means that smaller, more efficient, (For moving one body!) type vehicles are penalised for their thriftyness! It's barmy!!!!!

I have NO issue with my shitty Toyota Corolla, (Pleb-mobile par-excellance!) having to meet these standards, it's a mass produced, built down to a price, piece of shit with a life span of 10 years, (I don't want to get into an argument about disposability of 'Consumer Durables', OK) but these things are turned out by the tens, if not hundreds, of thousands which mean ecconomies of scale and their numbers mean that the restrictions are sensible but for idiots like us, who choose to travel on what are infinitely rebuildable bits of junk and/or only use them for pleasure so our carbon emissions are stupidly low the whole thing is a huge wank designed to prove to a gullible ellectorate that the Gubmint is 'Doing Something'. It makes me want to :vomit: . If the Gubmint, (any of them, whatever their colour!) really wanted to do something they'd ensure that there was a decent public transport sytem, (in metropolitan areas.) and that it was FREE. User pays? Be Bolloxed! The cost would be paid for in a decade by lower costs on road maintenance, less injuries and chronic care for accident victims and the decrease in stress and pulmonary and cardiovascular problems by us having to breathe shit the whole time! I'm lucky I live in an area with some of the cleanest air in the world, just going to somewhere like sydney or LA makes me feel sick!!!!!

Help the environment! Kill a politician!!!!! :huh2:

Pete

In a city like LA there really IS a smog problem and despite what people may think there really IS a problem with climate change, (Believe me, I now live in an area where it is VERY apparent!!!) But having said that having universal rules for smog emissions means that smaller, more efficient, (For moving one body!) type vehicles are penalised for their thriftyness! It's barmy!!!!!

You're not trying to tell me that a modern Guzzi is a thrifty vehicle are you? Maybe compared to an SUV but not to many other modern vehicles. I have a car that does nearly double the mileage of my Guzzi, will run its tryes for at least three times longer, has a service interval five times greater and costs about one fifth more than a new Guzzi. The only thing the Guzzi does functionally better is accelerate faster.

But the bike takes up much less space on the highway.

Interesting statistic. Greater LA has more cars than Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, whatever Burma is called now and China put together. No wonder it stinks. And affects all of us.

To drift slightly back on topic, one of the reasons I don't like the Griso is that it is just a lifestyle accessory like an SUV. It has very limited functionality for what I want from a motorcycle, which is reasonably priced transport. I know I'm in a minority, there. But, to me, the Griso becomes part of the problem not part of the solution.

mike

I don't like the Griso is that it is just  a lifestyle accessory like an SUV.  It has very limited functionality for what I want from a motorcycle, which is reasonably priced transport.

mike

60939[/snapback]

You just pegged 98% of the HD's in the USA - except that they are not reasonably priced.

You're not trying to tell me that a modern Guzzi is a thrifty vehicle are you?

To drift slightly back on topic, one of the reasons I don't like the Griso is that it is just  a lifestyle accessory like an SUV.  It has very limited functionality for what I want from a motorcycle, which is reasonably priced transport.  I know I'm in a minority, there.  But, to me, the Griso becomes part of the problem not part of the solution.

mike

60939[/snapback]

To answer your first question there is no reason that a modern Guzzi can't be thrifty, it's a matter of setting it up right and not wringing it's neck the whole time. The problem is that item 2 is not easy :grin:

As for the lifestyle accessory? Yup, maybe, once again it depends. I live about 45-60 Km from Canberra depending on what route I take in, (I have a choice of two! In Oz that means I'm blessed!!!) Both my crappy little Toyota and my 'Vert use about the same amount of fuel with the 'Vert winning by a hair. If I ride the SP it costs me appreciably less but as it's higher geared but also in a higher state of tune there are trade offs.

If I was interested purely in ecconomy though I'd buy a CT110 Honda or a small scooter, but I'm not. I don't own a big house with five built in bathrooms and three garages, I don't want a massive plasma screen TV, in fact I don't want much of the shite that modern society trys to tell us we need. I do like my motorbikes though, and I'm afraid that the fact that I may choose to travel on a slightly larger than necessary one doesn't mean that I'm leaving a huge footprint on the planet compared to your average city driver sitting in a queue in a stationary car all by him/herself.

I'm buying a Griso a.) because I want one and I think it will be fun, but b.) because it will be interesting to experiment to see if it's overall performance can be readily improved, and that includes fuel ecconomy. Seeing as they still seem to be using the same ETS that shouldn't be hard :D . I'm no rabid "make everyone walk or ride a f@cking horse" type nutter but I do realise that I'm very, very priveleged to have what I do and also if I can do a bit to push things along in the right direction I should do so. As I said, if I lived in a city and it didn't have decent public transport I'd have a scooter or a CT110, and belive me those are a hoot to tune up and you can take 'em anywhere! There's a bunch of madmen down the South Coast who've done both the Canning Stock Route and the Strezleki Track on CT110's, brilliantly insane!!!!!! Lifestyle accessory? Maybe. But there again I'm very lucky :huh2:

Pete

>To answer your first question there is no reason that a modern Guzzi can't be thrifty, it's a matter of setting it up right and not wringing it's neck the whole time. The problem is that item 2 is not easy

Agreed 8-) But it's not just fuel economy - it's the overall package. There may be the question of comparing like with like - a largish capacity motorcycle is really not fairly compared to a Peugot 206 but there a re a number of things the Peugot can do that the bike can't and _overall_ it is cheaper to run.

>As for the lifestyle accessory? Yup, maybe, once again it depends. I live about 45-60 Km from Canberra depending on what route I take in, (I have a choice of two! In Oz that means I'm blessed!!!) Both my crappy little Toyota and my 'Vert use about the same amount of fuel with the 'Vert winning by a hair. If I ride the SP it costs me appreciably less but as it's higher geared but also in a higher state of tune there are trade offs.

Lifestyle accessory because it is not really durable personal transport. I would trade all the metallic paint and other tat for stainless fasteners. Give me your Griso for a year and see what it would be like. I'm not saying my 130,000mile car is in showroom condition but it is perfectly presentable. I've done _nothing_ to it. The Guzzii, on the other hand, takes considerable work just to slow the deterioration.

>If I was interested purely in ecconomy though I'd buy a CT110 Honda or a small scooter, but I'm not. I don't own a big house with five built in bathrooms and three garages, I don't want a massive plasma screen TV, in fact I don't want much of the shite that modern society trys to tell us we need. I do like my motorbikes though, and I'm afraid that the fact that I may choose to travel on a slightly larger than necessary one doesn't mean that I'm leaving a huge footprint on the planet compared to your average city driver sitting in a queue in a stationary car all by him/herself.

Absolutely agreed. On all points.

>I'm buying a Griso a.) because I want one and I think it will be fun, but b.) because it will be interesting to experiment to see if it's overall performance can be readily improved, and that includes fuel ecconomy. Seeing as they still seem to be using the same ETS that shouldn't be hard :D . I'm no rabid "make everyone walk or ride a f@cking horse" type nutter but I do realise that I'm very, very priveleged to have what I do and also if I can do a bit to push things along in the right direction I should do so.  As I said, if I lived in a city and it didn't have decent public transport I'd have a scooter or a CT110, and belive me those are a hoot to tune up and you can take 'em anywhere! There's a bunch of madmen down the South Coast who've done both the Canning Stock Route and the Strezleki Track on CT110's, brilliantly insane!!!!!! Lifestyle accessory? Maybe. But there again I'm very lucky :huh2:

Your reasons are perfectly valid and I was not questioning them. I think the Guzzi is close to the best of a very poor bunch of options for modern two wheeled transport that can manage modern traffic. The direction the Griso is taking seems to be moving the company away from that to something approaching the Harley/crotch rocket/cruiser "accessory" market and that bothers me.

>Pete

mike

Edited by Admin Jaap