Wildguzzi Down

mojohand

Many of us also lurk on www.wildguzzi.com/discussion...which is down for some technical reasons. I get this message when I go there:

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/wildguzz/public_html/discussion/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/wildguzz/public_html/discussion/db/mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error 

Could not connect to the database

Too bad...

To err is human, to really screw up, it takes a computer. It has happened to this forum too. However, only the forum at WildGuzzi is down, the rest of the site functions.

60769[/snapback]

Seems like the Wildguzzi forums go down once a year or so, from what the track record has been lately. Seems to be the bbs software being used is susceptible to maliscious assault from wannabe "hackerz."

Regrettably, this seems to be the sign of the future for our civilization; since they took corporal punishment out of the school system and "mummy & diddy" no longer love their kids enough to beat them when they do wrong, the little darlings grow up to be felons-in-waiting with no concept of consequences for their actions. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Hopefully Wildguzzi will recover soon, and not lose too much of the back catalog of forum posts. :-p

Ride on!

:bike:

-----Forwarded Message-----

Sent: Sep 19, 2005 7:40 PM

To: Undisclosed

Subject: discussion board

FYI, the board took a hit while I was trying to do my weekly backup. So, I have to restore it, but the only problem is, my latest copy is the 13th. It should be done tomorrow or Wednesday.

Thanks,

Luap McKeever

www.wildguzzi.com

www.mgnoc.com

-----Forwarded Message-----

Subject: discussion board

FYI, the board took a hit while I was trying to do my weekly backup.  So, I have to restore it, but the only problem is, my latest copy is the 13th.  It should be done tomorrow or Wednesday.

60786[/snapback]

Awesome! Hopefully Pete Roper didn't add another in his series of engine teardown walkthrus* in that interval.

Ride on!

*[Which he has bogarted from this board for reasons unknown! ;) ]

Awesome! Hopefully Pete Roper didn't add another in his series of engine teardown walkthrus* in that interval.

Ride on!

*[Which he has bogarted from this board for reasons unknown! ;) ]

60790[/snapback]

Unfortunately I've been tied up, not only with work but also trying to deal with some fairly serious family issues as well so the rant on heads has had to go on hold.

It looks like I'm going to have to drop everything here and go over to the UK again to try and sort out my mother who seems determined to make herself ill. Any of you lot in the UK know a tame builder in the Cambridge area who can fix a leaking shower base at short notice? The woman is 90 years old and hasn't had a working shower for two months! My brother seems to be spectacularly useless and can't organise anything so I'm going to have to close the workshop and fly half way round the world just to sort out a leak through a ceiling! This really helps when you're trying to run a business! Pissed off? Why would I be pissed off? Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

Pete

It looks like I'm going to have to drop everything here and go over to the UK again to try and sort out my mother who seems determined to make herself ill. Any of you lot in the UK know a tame builder in the Cambridge area who can fix a leaking shower base at short notice? The woman is 90 years old and hasn't had a working shower for two months! My brother seems to be spectacularly useless and can't organise anything so I'm going to have to close the workshop and fly half way round the world just to sort out a leak through a ceiling!  This really helps when you're trying to run a business! Pissed off? Why would I be pissed off? Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

Pete

60805[/snapback]

Good grief. I was meant to be going to Cambridge at the end of this week and would certainly have made an effort if the house is close to Cambridge itself. However I can't go now.

There are probably other things that you need to go over for, especially as she's 90, but if it's really only to fix a leak – a trip from down under is pretty extreme. Apart from finding a builder to do the job, which is a tricky situation for all sorts of reasons, what about some of the social / community / caring agencies that have volunteer (retired) handymen to go and do jobs like this? Is she in a house on her own?

(Please pretend I didn't say this bit, but you could send a case of Redline Heavy to use in the watertank. According to the boys on here it's a wonder at sealing leaks.) Sorry. I didn't say that bit. It must have been Ratchethack.

Good grief. I was meant to be going to Cambridge at the end of this week and would certainly have made an effort if the house is close to Cambridge itself. However I can't go now.

There are probably other things that you need to go over for, especially as she's 90, but if it's really only to fix a leak – a trip from down under is pretty extreme. Apart from finding a builder to do the job, which is a tricky situation for all sorts of reasons, what about some of the social / community / caring agencies that have volunteer (retired) handymen to go and do jobs like this? Is she in a house on her own?

(Please pretend I didn't say this bit, but you could send a case of Redline Heavy to use in the watertank. According to the boys on here it's a wonder at sealing leaks.) Sorry. I didn't say that bit. It must have been Ratchethack.

60827[/snapback]

The problem is that the leak is under the shower tray apparently and will involve, (according to Mum.) taking half the house to bits as the shower is above the kitchen, etc, etc, It also doesn't help that my mum is not only the worlds biggest snob but she's also as mad as a cut snake and many times less friendly!

I too think that it's probably not too big an issue but I think that it's going to be made into one, it's a bit like taking the gearbox out of your V11 to change the oil :rolleyes: !

Pete

The first thing to do is to re-caulk around the shower drain and of course clean out the drain - then let it dry for a week and test. These are 2 essential steps before tearing into the ceiling....

Also look for holes in the caulk and re-seal...

Surely your brother can do that!

Bob

Unfortunately I've been tied up, not only with work but also trying to deal with some fairly serious family issues as well so the rant on heads has had to go on hold.

60805[/snapback]

Shucks, Pete: I was only teasing! As far as I'm concerned, anyone who only patronizes v11lemans & never pokes their nose in over at Wildguzzi forum isn't worthy of your purple prose of practicality!

So please ignore the jibe about bogarting the entries to your online manual. :D

Sorry to hear about your mom's troubles dragging you 1/2 way round the world. Have you considered emigrating? [Not you; her. To Oz. So keeping an eye on her would be a tad easier. For you. I mean, surely the trip from wherever you're at to Perth is easier than going to the UK, & she'd still be nicely distant from you to keep her from bugging you on a daily basis... ;) ]

My brother is a librarian and a leading light in the 'Communist Party or Great Britain, (Marxist-Leninist.)'. Need I say anything more????? :stupid:

Pete

60846[/snapback]

A librarian who can't read? ['Cause obviously, anyone who's literate would've figured out Marx & Lenin were having it on over the proles after a 100 years of the truth being printed over & over & over... :vomit: ]

;)

Box your brother's ears but good for me for not taking care of your ma! Tell him if he doesn't show signs of improvement from his bad case of water on the brain, we'll be forced to amputate. Can't hurt none, since he's obviously not been getting any use out of the thing!

:grin:

The first thing to do is to re-caulk around the shower drain and of course clean out the drain - then let it dry for a week and test.  These are 2 essential steps before tearing into the ceiling....

Also look for holes in the caulk and re-seal...

Surely your brother can do that!

Bob

60838[/snapback]

Bob, let me clue you in on a great big secret: the only thing 'murricans can do better than most any other country is plumbing! That, & big flashy space programs. [At least, from what I've seen...] ;)

If the shower pan is gone, ol' Pete needs to have a new pan put in, have it hot-mopped, and float the rest of the shower. It'll take 2 guys about 3, 4 days tops: 1 day to pull out the old, 1 day to put in the new pan & the third to float the new tile. [That's *if* the tile they want to use is available at the local supply.] I've watched my brother do it, back when he worked for a full-service shop [he's just a tile man; he left the tearout, pan fab & tar work to other parts of the crew.]

Too much like work, for me!

:grin: