2 part question

ferguzzi

First question,

To end an argument with my father in law, do I own a transverse or in-line v twin? it sounds silly, but there's a letter in this months bike mag with the same question, and the answer seems to say the description refers to the piston cases, which is what I always thought, but deeper into the magazine ,it actually contradicts itself. My Dad in law says it refers to the the crank shaft, and therefore longitudinal. Is there even a definitive answer, I mean we all have an opinion!

Secondly,

some one mentions helmets elsewhere. Mine is an arai I bought in Boston a few years ago, done in the colours of Jerry(Joey?) Adamo. It's red white and green(always get a bike to match your helmet), but I don't know who the man was, I think he was an American, but before my time. Can anyone shed some light?

I thought the motor alignment was descriptive of the cylinders. ( The Guzii is transverse.) But I've heard it the other way as well ( crankshaft). The experts disagree.

Those helmet colors are of the Italian racer Giacomo Agostini, no?

do I own a transverse or in-line v twin?

There have been discussions on it on every Guzzi forum I know, including here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3381

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4315

Mine is an arai I bought in Boston a few years ago, done in the colours of Jerry(Joey?) Adamo.

I only know the Ago helmet, first done by AGV, later by ARAI. X-lite had one too, only one year production I believe

BTW, anyone has experience with M2R helmets (US built I believe)

Thanks for that, Jaap, I thought there'd be better informed people then me, who still couldn't agree on the tranverse thing.

No, the helmet is definitely a copy of this guy Adamo. At the time, arai also did copies of Phil Read's, and one or two others, but I don't know if any made it across the pond to Europe. I think Adamo was a US rider from the '70's, but that's all I know.

First question,

To end an argument with my father in law, do I own a transverse or in-line v twin? it sounds silly, but there's a letter in this months bike mag with the same question, and the answer seems to say the description refers to the piston cases, which is what I always thought, but deeper into the magazine ,it actually contradicts itself. My Dad in law says it refers to the the crank shaft, and therefore longitudinal. Is there even a definitive answer, I mean we all have an opinion!

Secondly,

some one mentions helmets elsewhere. Mine is an arai I bought in Boston a few years ago, done in the colours of Jerry(Joey?) Adamo. It's red white and green(always get a bike to match your helmet), but I don't know who the man was, I think he was an American, but before my time. Can anyone shed some light?

68199[/snapback]

This is an argument that will never be "won" because it seems that those with opposing opinions on the topic view the "technical" definition of "what" is transverse/inline relative to "what" axis on the bike differs.... and that is the fundamental issue :P

I personally suscribe to automotive engineering standards that define the crank of the engine relative to the long-axis of the vehicle, which makes our engine "inline" with regard to installation. So for example, much like a "transverse" engined auto, most 4 cylinder inline motorcycles are actually "transverse".

It is true however that if one is talking about cylinder arrangement, that we do not have an "inline" or "parallel" engine though, and I often find that people sometimes get these terminologies intermixed and confuse themselves.

The example above of the 4 cylinder engine would be an: "inline 4 cylinder engine mounted transversly"

Our engine would be a: 'v twin engine mounted longitudinally(inline)"

NOW, here is the kicker... and again, the case I mentioned first off where the terminology gets twisted depending on perspective.

For some people, they are defining this strictly in a "V" engine scenario, and they are looking at how the "V" is aligned with the long axis of the bike. From that perspective, our "V" is "spanning", "straddling", or "transverse" to the long axis of the bike versus something like a HD.

So... :huh2:

I stay it is longitudinal though.... "inline" :grin:

YMMV

al

Yes he did, and he was riding a V-twin mounted in line with the frame, not across it [ie transverse]. The terms in line and across the frame V twins are commonly used, and don't cause confusion.

I had a 900ss engined Darmah when dinosaurs ruled the Earth, and anyone who considers that V11s are ponderous should try wrestling one of these in a fast, tightening corner!

Yes the helmet you talk about is a Jimmy Adamo Replica, first issued on the Arai Signet models. The fellow was a noted American roadracer, quite talented. I stand corrected, but I think the poor guy was killed at Daytona 5-10 yrs ago during a practice crash.

The description would describe how the crankshaft itself is aligned with the way the bike tracks, do not mind [in the Guzzi's case] the confusing cylinders [not piston cases]. With this in mind, clearly it is an inline engine, so, an inline v-twin. Simple!!

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest Steve_W

A Guzzi has a longitudinally-mounted V-twin. A BMW R-bike has a longitudinally-mounted flat twin. Most BMW K-bikes, with the exception of the brand-new K1200S and R, are longitudinally-mounted inline triples or fours. A Gold Wing is a longitudinally-mounted flat four or six.

A Ducati is a transversely-mounted V-twin. H-Ds are transversely-mounted V-twins. My Triumph is a transversely-mounted inline triple. A Yamaha V-Max is a transversely-mounted V-four.

It's not that difficult!

Jimmy Adamo

Made me Love BOTT & Ducati

the first time I heard him down shifting into turn 10

@ Loudon /mid 70s.

Managed to get down to the pits a few times to shake his hand

and give Reno Leoni an awkward grin..

Here he is with the infamous Leoni OWO1

I met a 63 y.o. riding a MV Brutale Sunday...looks like I got another

10 yrs anyway.

298417_R1_08_8.jpg

Guest goffredo
A Guzzi has a longitudinally-mounted V-twin.  A BMW R-bike has a longitudinally-mounted flat twin.  Most BMW K-bikes, with the exception of the brand-new K1200S and R, are longitudinally-mounted inline triples or fours.  A Gold Wing is a longitudinally-mounted flat four or six.

A Ducati is a transversely-mounted V-twin.  H-Ds are transversely-mounted V-twins.  My Triumph is a transversely-mounted inline triple.  A Yamaha V-Max is a transversely-mounted V-four.

It's not that difficult!

68290[/snapback]

In Europe, it is the opposite. Transversal or Longitudinal are for the sake of simplicity meant to describe the position of the cylindres in relation with the wheels.

So: Guzzi and BMWR are transversal twin, Ducati and Harley are longitudinal twin, a VMax has a longitudinal Vfour...

G.

To be honest, I have never heard of Adamo. Maybe Arai called it the Adamo replica in the US and Ago in Europe.

Here's a pic of the Ago version:

68317[/snapback]

The Adamo replica and the Agostini replica are quite different designs, sharing nothing in the way of theme. I like both very much.

Ciao, Steve G.