Lust At First Sight!

Mike Stewart

So I have not really been on a bike for the last 10 weeks since my crash and I am healing up nicely. I was on the Ducati site, looking up part numbers for my wife's Ducati Monster and I came across the new Sport1000. I just don't know why it looks so good to me. Could it be the Guzzi style fuel tank or the stock bar end mirrors? Perhaps it is the retro looking tail light that lights my fire......

My wife took one look at it and agreed that I need one in the Garage. :grin:

Hopefully it will be at the International bike show in San Jose in two weeks.

Mike

Sport10001.jpgSport10002.jpgSport10003.jpgSport10004.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guzzi should do something similar rather building Norges and tarted up Calis.

Guy  :helmet:

69767[/snapback]

They did. They were called the Sport 1100i and the Daytona RS.

Guzzi needs the Norge in addition to the other stuff. Gotta suck some of the lifeblood out of the over-inflated BMW touring crowd. A financially healthy Moto Guzzi may yet produce another bike to match the beauty of the Sport 1100i/Daytona RS, only this time with the performance to match.

They did. They were called the Sport 1100i and the Daytona RS.

Guzzi needs the Norge in addition to the other stuff. Gotta suck some of the lifeblood out of the over-inflated BMW touring crowd. A financially healthy Moto Guzzi may yet produce another bike to match the beauty of the Sport 1100i/Daytona RS, only this time with the performance to match.

69770[/snapback]

I was thinking of something more traditional like a 1000S with modern motor, tyres and suspension.

Nobody is going to buy the Norge or the Cali Vintage in the UK at the estimated list price of £9000 for each.

A kitted out Breva 1100 seems like a much cheaper option that the Norge at £7500 with panniers and screen.

Retros and dual purpose bike seem to be the bikes in the UK where the market share is rapidly growing- not sure what the story is in the rest of the world.

Guy :helmet:

I think Guzzi was just ahead of the times. In the early 90's they came out with the 1000S, a retro bike of the 70's 750S but they did not sale. The V11 Sport was a retro version of the V7 sport but with modern looks. Sexy and has eye appeal! :mg: But, I would love to see a Tonti framed bike, even with the same old 1100cc engine, put newer, wider 17 inch. spoked wheels on it, update the suspension & steering geometry. This with a V7 Sport fuel tank and rear fender/tail light setup and you have a winner.

Just a thought Guzzi,

Mike

I was thinking of something more traditional like a 1000S with modern motor, tyres and suspension.

Nobody is going to buy the Norge or the Cali Vintage in the UK at the estimated list price of £9000 for each.

A kitted out Breva 1100 seems like a much cheaper option that the Norge at £7500 with panniers and screen.

Retros and dual purpose bike seem to be the bikes in the UK where the market share is rapidly growing- not sure what the story is in the rest of the world.

Guy  :helmet:

69772[/snapback]

Guest jedione68
So I have not really been on a bike for the last 10 weeks since my crash and I am healing up nicely.  I was on the Ducati site, looking up part numbers for my wife's Ducati Monster and I came across the new Sport1000.  I just don't know why it looks so good to me.  Could it be the Guzzi style fuel tank or the stock bar end mirrors? Perhaps it is the retro looking tail light that lights my fire......

My wife took one look at it and agreed that I need one in the Garage. :grin:

Hopefully it will be at the International bike show in San Jose in two weeks.

Mike

post-26-1133896502_thumb.jpgpost-26-1133896516_thumb.jpgpost-26-1133896532_thumb.jpgpost-26-1133896547_thumb.jpg

69759[/snapback]

I want the Paul Smart version, but in the sports colors, yellow & black.

Lets just get a big bag of clay (maybe two) tear everything off our

v11 and start carving something cool and find someone to make in into

fiber glass body kit. Cause I love Guzzi's more than Ducks.

Have you seen the Brian 900SS Kit, there a company in England that

takes your doner 1991 to 2003 Ducati engine, forks, wheels and elec.

And make you a whicked modern retro. I think the price was even cheaper.

And even more one off.

Glad your feeling better Mike.

I be looking forward to seeing ya down the road.

Peace,

Jedione67

I would have an updated 1000S over one these Dukes any day. The single side swingarm and exhaust configuration just leaves me cold. If this bike had a conventional swingarm and a muffler each side and sidecovers it would appeal a lot more to me. No doubt a very competent bike but to me it comes across as a dressed up Monster. I must admit the front end certainly grabs my attention with it's spokes and decent sized rotors.

Rob

Guest ratchethack
I would love to see a Tonti framed bike, even with the same old 1100cc engine, put newer, wider 17 inch. spoked wheels on it, update the suspension & steering geometry.  This with a V7 Sport fuel tank and rear fender/tail light setup and you have a winner.

Just a thought Guzzi,

Mike

It's an outstanding thought, Mike. But like Jason said, I figure as long as guys have been rolling their own for decades now out of old "donor" bikes at relatively low cost, there'd be no market for a "new, old" bike like this from Piaggio's perspective, as proven by the 1000S no-sales disaster.

A tonti-framed modern Le Mans I or V7 knock-off like you describe has been a dream forming in the back of my mind for years, and will likely be my next moto-project. Can you imagine a market for low-volume "semi-custom, config-to-order" production? I reckon Mark at MG Classics can... :grin: Mark, you listening?

I would buy a new modernized V7 Sport in a flash. Just give me the slim looks of the original, with the same 1000 Sport wheels and brakes, round barrels and dual-plug heads for efficiency. I like the V11 Sport, but it is similar in name only.

Geez, I'm probably going to have to make my own... any donor Tontis kicking around the PNW looking for a new home?

OK, I will come out of the closet, I am one of those guys playing around with a Jackal to 1100S project. First problem being, you start off on the project going one direction and all of a sudden, you get all these ideas and you are off collecting more and more parts. I think I have cornered the market in California on the different Guzzi fuel tanks I have collected. 1000S, 750S-3, Lemans I, Lemans II :homer: So now I am planning to go with the Lemans I tank, Corbin seat, V7 type rear fender, No sidecovers, naked or with the Lemans I fairing. :huh2: On the first chapter, I purchased a set of 850T side covers and was in the process of metal finishing in the vents to make them into the smooth version like the 750S, still in the works. I fell in love with the sidecover less tonti frame so now the bike is going to be more like a Cafe Bike.

Mike

1100S_03.jpg1100S_31.jpg

It's an outstanding thought, Mike.  But like Jason said, I figure as long as guys have been rolling their own for decades now out of old "donor" bikes at relatively low cost, there'd be no market for a "new, old" bike like this from Piaggio's perspective, as proven by the 1000S no-sales disaster.

A tonti-framed modern Le Mans I or V7 knock-off like you describe has been a dream forming in the back of my mind for years, and will likely be my next moto-project.  Can you imagine a market for low-volume "semi-custom, config-to-order" production?  I reckon Mark at MG Classics can... :grin:  Mark, you listening?

69804[/snapback]

Guest ratchethack

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!! :wub: Now you got me goin', Mike.... What year Jackal was your donor, and that's not a Jackal fork - so what is it?! :huh2: