napoleon bar end mirrors

bigbikerrick

Im a pretty wide /broad shouldered guy,my stock mirrors on my v 11 naked mostly give me a fuzzy view of my arms, especially with my leather jacket on. I want to add some of the napoleon bar end mirrors. are they an easy/ direct fit to our v 11 sports? are there ant tricks/tips to installing and or removing the stock bar ends ? Ive heard the napoleons not only give a better view, but also cut down on vibes. I really like the "old school cafe look" as well!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a pretty wide /broad shouldered guy,my stock mirrors on my v 11 naked mostly give me a fuzzy view of my arms, especially with my leather jacket on. I want to add some of the napoleon bar end mirrors. are they an easy/ direct fit to our v 11 sports? are there ant tricks/tips to installing and or removing the stock bar ends ? Ive heard the napoleons not only give a better view, but also cut down on vibes. I really like the "old school cafe look" as well!

71170[/snapback]

LOTS of old threads on this. I use a rubber strap pipe wrench to hold the stock bar end on my 03 Sport while unscrewing the allen bolt. Once the end is off a wrench loosens the expander.

Some people just stuff the rubber sleeve of the Napoleons into the threaded bit of the bars; I think it's a tight fit, but works. I wanted to be able to pull the mirrors off easily, so I had the local shop make me up a set of adaptors for the mirrors and a set of bar ends for "no mirror" days. Works well for me, the swap takes ~5 min. I'll try to upload the pdf:BARENDadaptors.pdf

Interesting drawing, but I'm not clear on how all these bits fit together!

71190[/snapback]

Mirror plugs into the adaptor. An m8 allen head bolt runs through the mirror, adaptor, then into the brass expander (on pg 2). The expander gets inserted into the bar and the adaptor is screwed tight. The mirror is rotated to where I want it, then the allen bolt is tightened; this secures both the brass expander inside the bar and the mirror's rubber expander inside the adaptor. Done.

Probably easier to see then read. I'll try and get a photo up in the next couple of days.

Who was it fitted the Napoleons to the original mirror mount? Left the bar weights untouched and tucked the mirrors in nicely ( barends stick out like steer horns). Very clean look.

Also several of us have fitted the CRG barends. Your 'barend' search will turn up those threads as well. Including the post, "Objects in mirror are waaaay closer than you think!) :o

An alternate mounting method is shown in the attached digital photo. I do not like the "wide" feeling of bar end mirrors and this approach works quite nicely for me. Slight mods needed, I do not recall exactly what.

bar.jpg

An alternate mounting method is shown in the attached digital photo.  I do not like the "wide" feeling of bar end mirrors and this approach works quite nicely for me.  Slight mods needed, I do not recall exactly what.

71210[/snapback]

yup...just dremil the little flange off the bottom (that otherwise would insert into the bar end) to make a flush surface to mount through the lever hole with a lock nut on the otherside. works great and hardly any vibration in mirrors.

If you just use the original rubber insert method, it works great for sucking the vibes out of the hands, but the mirror image is very fuzzy because of vibration.

I might try one of the other methods.

Thanks for the posts :)

If you just use the original rubber insert method, it works great for sucking the vibes out of the hands, but the mirror image is very fuzzy because of vibration.

I might try one of the other methods.

Thanks for the posts  :)

71260[/snapback]

Is the image in the napoleon bar end mounted mirrors fuzzier than the stock mirrors? My problem is the stock mirrors dont stick out far enough, but I dont want such a fuzzy image that I cant keep a watchful eye on my wife behind me on her magna when we go touring. :):bike:

An alternate mounting method is shown in the attached digital photo.  I do not like the "wide" feeling of bar end mirrors and this approach works quite nicely for me.  Slight mods needed, I do not recall exactly what.

71210[/snapback]

That looks sweet Bennett, but do they stick further outboard than stock? they surely sit lower than stock, correct? Im having problems because all I see are my shoulders. :)

I've got chrome Napolean Berens on my V11, left and right side. Also on my Laverda Jota, and Norton. They are worth the money you have to pay for them, which around here is around 45$ cdn.

Obviously I do like them. They are convex for great rear view. The rubber insert works on the other bikes, but the V11 bars are a bit smaller inside, and trimming of the rubber would not work. Sooo,, I took the wedge type tightener/fastener off of the Agostini bar end weights I was using, and put it on the mirrors, works great.

With stock mirrors off, bar end weights replaced by the Berens, less bar vibration. Don't know why, but it's the case. I was worried because my hands are extremely sensitive to vibes, but it's all good. It has the classic cafe racer look, which is exactly what the V11 Sport is.

Ciao, Steve G.

I've got chrome Napolean Berens on my V11, left and right side. Also on my Laverda Jota, and Norton. They are worth the money you have to pay for them, which around here is around 45$ cdn.

Obviously I do like them. They are convex for great rear view. The rubber insert works on the other bikes, but the V11 bars are a bit smaller inside, and trimming of the rubber would not work. Sooo,, I took the wedge type tightener/fastener off of the Agostini bar end weights I was using, and put it on the mirrors, works great.

With stock mirrors off, bar end weights replaced by the Berens, less bar vibration. Don't know why, but it's the case. I was worried because my hands are extremely sensitive to vibes, but it's all good. It has the classic cafe racer look, which is exactly what the V11 Sport is.

Ciao, Steve G.

71266[/snapback]

Steve, Will the rubber inserts on the napoleons work on our V 11 if you sand/trim down the rubber a bit? Thanks for the post.

04_oct_05%20002.jpg

Click pic for details

I'm pretty sure these aprilia bar ends will fit my LeMans. Even if they don't AF1 will let me return them (they are really great guys). The CRG mirrors would be nice and fit like OEM.

Interesting drawing, but I'm not clear on how all these bits fit together!

71190[/snapback]

Comparison of my stock and brass bar ends assembled:

apart:

and the "mirror adaptor" ends currently on the bike:

I really like this solution as it moves the mirrors out past my shoulders, the combined weight of the brass + mirror damps the vibs substantially, and it's easy to pull the mirrors off. I have this mounted on a handbar, but it should also fit the clipons.