2005 v11 exhaust mods

Guest jim fordham

Guest jim fordham

does any one make a cross over to replace what i think is a cat under the gear box. If so how much and where can i get one.

I already have the factory race system and cdi , if a cross over is fitted will the fuel mixture need resetting ie power comander? -_-

Guest jim fordham

I wasnt sure how much difference the kit cdi makes. So what is in the box under the gearbox is it a collector?

As for the cans ive got the oval race(kit) cans and there very straight through.

has any one fitted a power comander if so whats it like and has the bike been on a dyno.Whats the true bhp????????

Jim

I wasnt sure how much difference the kit cdi makes. So what is in the box under the gearbox is it a collector?

As for the cans ive got the oval race(kit) cans and there very straight through.

has any one fitted a power comander if so whats it like and has the bike been on a dyno.Whats the true bhp????????

Jim

72301[/snapback]

The pre-muffler under the gearbox serves as a collector. Not the most efficient, but surprisingly good from some dyno charts comparing it against various aftermarket options. The Stucchi ["Stew-key"] seems to be the one to beat as far as the aftermarket options go, hence the immediate recommendation you rec'd. earlier in this thread.

Don't make the mistake of calling it a catalytic converter; I did that once, & boy was I straightened out in a hurry! :D It doesn't help that it's where the cat should go, looks like one, & is a commonly replaced piece of kit [just as the cat is on most motorcycles that don't require annual smog checks...] ;)

The Power Commander is a popular addition, not so much for added power, as for general correction of the poor job the factory did on the stock map. [bear in mind tho', that the factory is aiming for widespread govt. approval more than performance; they figure the aftermarket will sort that part for them... :nerd: ]

True rwhp from a 2v v11 motor, properly kitted & tuned seems to top out around 80hp. It's possible to get higher numbers, but they reportedly come at the cost of decreased reliability.

Ride on :mg:

:bike:

A power commander was the first and only modification to my bike ('04 Naked). I asked for a stock map and the bike runs quite nicely with good throttle response and no flat spots or hesitation.

I am kind of a Guzzi abuser because I use my bikes to commute to work in NYC traffic. A week or so ago we had a transit strike here in NY. With the wife on the back I was logging 40 miles of stop and go in 35F weather.

A power commander was the least I could do for it :D

Guzzi Ti kit on Scura - Felt like it revved better, but kit ECU was way out - v rich. Fitted Stucchi xover & PC111USB + dyno - sorted it. Runs great now. Stucchi can be a bit of work to fit - it's very good solid made but dimensions can be variable I think. May have been good w/o Stucchi - dunno. Stucchi adds fair bit of noise. Cans only are pretty quiet.

KB :sun:

Guest jim fordham

Thank you chaps

I found that the bike seems to rev alot quicker with the kit cdi . although on the short test run i had this week with it i could not tell if there was any gain in performance.

I didnt have much of a chance to really open it up as it started to snow after 2 miles.

Is there a uk daeler for stucchi and do we know the cost of a collector.

again many thanks for all your help and a happy new year.

Jim

Seat of pants experience....

No dyno access as yet but....

Standard set up ran fine from the dealer (bought second hand at a couple of years old). Felt restricted though. Very muted.

First mod was round alloy Mistrals. Released a fair bit of boom and maybe 2 or 3 more horses. Quite nice.

Clicked lucky with an ebay auction and got one of three exhausts made by Skorpion for the 2002 TT entry. Fitted them instead. Instant gain in pick up much more of everything. Including mellow note...Changes to staccato roar at about 5000rpm. Feels like it is breathing a lot better. Still standard on intake side. HP gain still don't know really, but certainly a marked improvement from standard. Most of this I would attribute to the free flowing crossover. It is much more lively. I am sure there is more to come too ^_^

I have a power commander III but haven't fitted it yet.

Ongoing project! :thumbsup:

Nige. B)

does any one make a cross over to replace what i think is a cat under the gear box. If so how much and where can i get one.

I already have the factory race system and cdi , if a cross over is fitted will the fuel mixture need resetting ie power comander? -_-

72260[/snapback]

I am not sure you will get much gains from an aftermarket crossover.

The Guzzis without the balance pipe by the alternator have a dip in the power range that the Stucchi and other crossovers correct.

The Guzzis with the balance pipe don't have the dip, so they have less to gain.

This is not to say they won't make any gains from an aftermarket crossover, but I don't think anyone has proven any gains using a Stucchi on a bike with the balance pipe.

You will however gain some sound, as the bike will sound meaner :D

Stucchi is probably the best crossover.

Fast by Ferracci makes one with similar HP gains for a bit less money.

Mistral makes one, but it is hard to say what it does for power. Some dynos show it giving great top end and midrange, others show it giving alot more mid range, but taking power off the top end.

As for remapping the fueling, I believe this is the best thing you can do for your bike.

Here are some options:

Guzzi ECU left untouched. Your bike will be running too lean.

Guzzi ECU trim tweaked by dealer using TechnoResearch VDST or MBDST $Free-$100 This does not do much but is better than nothing.

Guzzi ECU bodged by TFI $200 Better than the first two solutions if you have a clue about what you are doing and don't over enrichen it. But it still falls greatly short of other options

Guzzi ECU bodged by PCIII serial $Real Cheap second hand...don't pay more than $200.

This allows you to download a map that will improve your situation, but better performance comes from dynotuning a custom map to your bike.

Guzzi ECU bodged by PCIII USB $250 to $350 depending on how much of a sucker you are. Search the web and get the $250 one or go to guzzitech.com and pay $329.95, but get superior tech support.

PCIII USB is twice as good as the serial IMHO...

It can seperately tune fueling to each cylinder and it adds throttle pump emulation.

Guzzi ECU improved by Axeone????not sure about this one.

Teo Lamers modified ECU... $?$?$? Advantage over PCIII is they can re-map the timing.

This could be used in combination with a PCIII....probably only required if you twin plug the engine.

Guzzi ECU rectified by FIM ultimap flashload $179. http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au/ Basically a one shot deal, with a result theoretically similar to getting a PCIII and using a downloaded map in it. Possibly a little better, because the map was more extensively developed.

Guzzi ECU improved by TuneBoy $310, maybe less while in semi-beta.

I like this route. This maps directly on the ECU. It is still in development, so it only gives you control of roughly 90% of the ECU. PCIII maps can be overlayed. Older maps automatically. Newer maps, I just guesstimate what the changes would be, but you can also export to Excel, import to the old map, and move it in that way.

Dynotuning for a custom map is recommended.

Guzzi ECU improved by TechnoResearch DirectLink $379

Same as the Tuneboy, but gives access to more of the ECU.

But not worth the extra money IMHO YMMV

Guzzi ECU rectified by FIM ultimap diagnostics $1500 I don't know if it is better than DirectLink or TuneBoy, but it better be for that price.

Cliff's MY15M Kit is about $300 Not sure what the assembled and tested price is. This is the best. If I could start all over, this is the route that I would take. But it is a bit more expensive, so I did not go this route.

Most of the above options can be well mapped with a DynoJet Tuning Link Dyno for a few hundred dollars.

For a little better tuning a four gas analysis Dyno like MotoLab, where you get what you pay for. MotoLab can improve the map as much as you are willing to pay for at about $100 per hour. It is a slower and more expensive process than TuningLink, but it can result in a better map. If you spend only $200 it probably will not be better. If you spend $1000, it will be better and if you spend $2000 it will close to perfect.

Or you can optimize many of these yourself.

Cliff's MY15M can be modified with the optimiser for less than $250 and less than $125 in kit form.

WBO2 controllers are another way to improve the mapping.

If you go this route, you will want to get one with logging and be prepared to spend hours testing and re-mapping and re-testing.

You will need access to wide open roads, preferably with a large hill, and no police to bother you while you are testing.

Sorry if that is more than you wanted to know...

Most people will probably just get the Stucchi and PCIII USB and download a map.

72260[/snapback]

I bought my x-pipe and PC from Fast by Ferracci (www.ferracci.com). I haven't done a dyno mapping, only played with the PC3 using the the feel of the ride as a guide. I'll probably get a mapping done in February.

A very comprehensive list of options from Mr Laing!

One other option- HTM in Germany can reprogram your fuelling and ignition. They were at Boxmeer last year with a mobile dyno and doing plenty of tuning.

Also had 4 nice Guzzi racers on display and chatting to him he sounded like he knew his stuff, although I do not know anyone who has had their mods.

Here is their website. http://www.htmoto.de/index.php?p=startpage&l=en

Guy :helmet:

One other option- HTM in Germany can reprogram your fuelling and ignition.

72898[/snapback]

Cool, I forgot all about them, and fact did not know they did more than aftermarket EFI for carbbed bikes.

And I also forgot the best ECU of all, that Paul M. and Zeb use:

cockpit.JPG

Moto Special

Price is about 1300 Euro

Slick package replaces ECU, tach and or speedo.

Not sure of exact features, but it support dual lambda for closed loop and comes with optimizing software.

Just wish it were a lower price.

But if you think about the price of replacing the tach, the speedo, the ecu, and having the software to program and control it, it is a deal!