Breva 11 vs Harley Street Glide

Guest Nogbad

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lest we forget, this whole thread is centered upon an "article" in the Brit MCN.

The 'Murrican MCN (Motorcycle Consumer News) is an entirely different kettle o' fish! It's what all the 'slicks' (4-color, glossy bike rags like Motorcyclist, Cycle World, Sprot Ryder, etc. wish they could be (in terms of journalistic integrity, writing for actual content, valid tests, etc..) when they grow up. MCN over on this side of the Pond means a black&white monthly printed on 20? 24? # stock that's supported mostly by subscriptions (so no manufacturer advertising to "skew" the test criteria!)

When our MCN sez "This bike had this problem," manufacturers try really hard to solve it by the next model year. :bier:

Hasn't anybody ever noticed that in 95% of the magazine comparisons, the great praise ALWAYS goes to the manufacturer who has purchased the MOST advertising.

Never forget these magazines are only there to SELL advertising. Most of it is just marginally well written bull shit.

Want to review two bikes? - go ride em.

Rj

If you can put up with dressing like a complete dork buy a Harley.

73662[/snapback]

I'd probably like H-D a lot more if it wasn't for the 'hardass' dressing up in his orange t-shirt and black leather vest like the other 1,000,000 "individuals". Generally speaking, many H-D riders don't know any other brand of motorcycle exists.

If you go to a Guzzi rally in the UK many of the riders (especially Cali riders) will be wearing leather vests!

Not all HD riders follow the HOG herd- I know I don't- it maybe different in the USA.

I am also a member of an HD forum and some of the guys were very complimentary and interested in Moto Guzzis- no slagging off or rude comments at all so I guess not everybody has a closed mind.

I am of the opinion that if you are a biker it does not matter what you ride- at least you are on two wheels hopefully having fun.

Guy :helmet:

Hasn't anybody ever noticed that in 95% of the magazine comparisons, the great praise ALWAYS goes to the manufacturer who has purchased the MOST advertising. 

Never forget these magazines are only there to SELL advertising.  Most of it is just marginally well written bull shit. 

Want to review two bikes? - go ride em.

Rj

73725[/snapback]

I'll let you review my Ducati if you let me review your Ducati!!

apologies in advance, but I just want to vent.

Today for about the fourth time in my life I got a slow down hand sign from an approaching Harley rider.

The first three I paid attention to and slowed it down expecting a road hazard up ahead.

This time I realized the boyz waz just crying wolf, continued on, and the road was clear as could be.

I know this is just a tenth of a one percenter from their crowd.

But this is all I have to say to him and to that author also:

Mooning.jpg

Today for about the fourth time in my life I got a slow down hand sign from an approaching Harley rider.

The first three I paid attention to and slowed it down expecting a road hazard up ahead.

This time I realized the boyz waz just crying wolf, continued on, and the road was clear as could be.

I know this is just a tenth of a one percenter from their crowd.

73783[/snapback]

Obviously you were there and I wasn't. But it's always difficult to know what his intention was. There may well have been a patrol further up the road which may have moved on by the time you got there; the stray animal may have gone back into the undergrowth; they finished exchanging details following the minor accident and left there are limitless reasons including lets piss off/slow down the racer jape.

It never hurts to knock a bit off and pick up your observation*.

In Wales last year (skip this paragraph if you've read my RBR reports) I was following at a distance a group of police riders. I got the slow down wave, which I ignore thinking it was for the bikes. Luckily I came across slower and oncoming traffic just as I went past the concealed speed camera van. :o

I used ( devolved to new Highways Agency in December) to have control of the message (Matrix) signs on the motorways. These are infamous for "why was that on" - and then being ignored. They do get set for a reason, they are limited in what you can set and obviously they may not be exactly located where you want. And yes they do get left on :blush: I treat them as a indication that there may be something occurring ahead and just knock off a bit of speed and lift my observation*.

Better safe than sorry but a bit of a pisser if it's through your favorite set of twisties. But if they're that good having done a sighting (lap) go back and do them properly :race:

* This obviously doesn't mean we're not looking previously :bike:

I am of the opinion that if you are a biker it does not matter what you ride- at least you are on two wheels hopefully having fun.

Guy  :helmet:

73755[/snapback]

73789[/snapback]

Strongly agree with both these remarks.

You never know when some idiot in a four-wheeled vehicle is around the corner doing something dangerous: it's happened to me too many times, amd I take all warnings seriously. It's even more important if you enjoy riding quickly and enjoy corners, and I think most of us do.

About the Harley rider comments: I always thought they were giving me a friendly wave in their special, Harley way! Seriously, one of the things I like about the French bike scene is that it doesn't matter what you ride; as long as you ride, you're one of the group. One of the best meetings I went to last year was a locally organised [Kustom Klub of Limoges], mainly Harley-oriented do. I turned up on my Norton, was made really welcome and made new friends.

The king has no clothes.

This guy is paid to tell just how beautiful the kings clothes are.

He would have wrote the same thing or worse if it was a 999 in the test.

He likes 'em big & slow with lots of chrome. If someone likes riding with thier

feet on the front axle a Duc is gonna feel a lttle twitchy and unpredictable...

deffinately a design flaw..."stay away...don't touch it"

As Bugs Bunny says " What a maroon" This guy must be trying to get a job @

"Iron Horse" magazine.

Here on the east coast of the US the HD scene is mostly a fashion show.

Middle aged wanna be's with skulls & cross bones, 1%, swastikas and Nazi

helmets for thier costumes. Most put about 2000mi a year on thier bikes

and triler them any where over 100mi. They parade around @ 5 mph less than the posted speed limit and scowl at me on my Jap bike (LeMans) when they catch up @

the next stop. The skull and cross bone, swastika clowns think I'm a threat to the

motorcycle image and society in general... Thank God!

I often tell people.. "I'm not a biker...I'm a motorcycle enthusiast"

73789[/snapback]

Your comments are appreciated and good advice.

I just see a pattern where the Alpha Harley, aka. the leader of the pack, gives the slow down sign.

Perhaps to protect me from his double-yellow line crossing brothers.

This guys overly concerned facial expression as he signed a slow down, followed by the smirks on his compadres was the give-away to the charade.

Yes, you are correct, I should still heed future warnings, but this piece of work crying wolf is making it difficult.

And yes it does Hurt to slow down :helmet:

But yes, I'll remember your advice and try to put this guy out of my mind.

My other pet peeve is the California highway crews leave loose gravel signs up to the point where threatening loose gravel in only there about 1 in a hundred times. I have not seen this failure rate in any other state. Again a Cry Wolf situation...where it is hard to remember the hurt of crashing out weighs the hurt of slowing down.

If you go to a Guzzi rally in the UK many of the riders (especially Cali riders) will be wearing leather vests!

Not all HD riders follow the HOG herd- I know I don't- it maybe different in the USA.

Guy  :helmet:

73755[/snapback]

Yeah, I know there are Guzzi riders who wear vests and I'm not opposed to them. I was speaking in general terms which is not advisable....(sorry for any offense). However, my post was prompted by the prevelant attitude. You try not to let it speak for the whole crowd, but I bet it would wear on the most tolerant of people. There are some heavy concentrations of the "H-D-only" mentality.

I do like their products, particularly the Road King and Deluxe, and the Firebolt on the Buell side. It is also very refreshing to talk with H-D riders who "get it".

thanks for the reminder

Your comments are appreciated and good advice.

I just see a pattern where the Alpha Harley, aka. the leader of the pack, gives the slow down sign.

Perhaps to protect me from his double-yellow line crossing brothers.

This guys overly concerned facial expression as he signed a slow down, followed by the smirks on his compadres was the give-away to the charade.

Yes, you are correct, I should still heed future warnings, but this piece of work crying wolf is making it difficult.

And yes it does Hurt to slow down :helmet:

But yes, I'll remember your advice and try to put this guy out of my mind.

My other pet peeve is the California highway crews leave loose gravel signs up to the point where threatening loose gravel in only there about 1 in a hundred times. I have not seen this failure rate in any other state. Again a Cry Wolf situation...where it is hard to remember the hurt of crashing out weighs the hurt of slowing down.

73824[/snapback]

Argh , didn't realise it was a "Road Captain"(NWS) He's probably trying to advise you of the risk of an 18 wheeler overtaking his litter (is that the correct term for a group of Hogs)

You just need slow much just to make sure you have an escape option/can stop in what you can (not reasonably assume) see to be clear

Edit - seem to have a crossed wire with the definition of "Road Captain" -_-

Yeah, I know there are Guzzi riders who wear vests and I'm not opposed to them. I was speaking in general terms which is not advisable....(sorry for any offense).  However, my post was prompted by the prevelant attitude. You try not to let it speak for the whole crowd, but I bet it would wear on the most tolerant of people.  There are some heavy concentrations of the "H-D-only" mentality.

I do like their products, particularly the Road King and Deluxe, and the Firebolt on the Buell side.  It is also very refreshing to talk with H-D riders who "get it".

thanks for the reminder

73826[/snapback]

No offense taken mate! I get a bit of ribbing from my Guzzi riding mates from the local club for owning a HD as well as a Guzzi and quite enjoy the banter.

Guy :)