Full face helmets may kill you!

Guzzirider

Take a look at:

http://www.oneida-abate.org/legislative/Articles/cooter.html

Was not sure whether to post this because it may start up another nerdy debate like the Garbled Warbling thread, but it is an interesting read.

It only covers the outcome of head and face injuries- one other factor to take into account is the liklihood of having an accident in the first place which is why I like wearing open face or flip up lids because you can see and hear much better.

So would you prefer to die with no facial injuries or be disfigured and live?

Guy :helmet:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:bier: ''don't crash'' wear bandanna. ? :huh2: don't put to much to these findings.as varied as findings to global warming..i ride with both,full face and jet style. so.. :huh2:

Take a look at:

Was not sure whether to post this because it may start up another nerdy debate like the Garbled Warbling thread, but it is an interesting read.

It only covers the outcome of head and face injuries- one other factor to take into account is the liklihood of having an accident in the first place which is why I like wearing open face or flip up lids because you can see and hear much better.

Guy  :helmet:

75904[/snapback]

i should add ,i've had friends over the years that have crashed with no helmets.yes i'm that old.before they were compolsery. one died from broken neck..one from head trauma.. etc etc. :huh2: do we want to ride with neck brace, rear humps,carbon helmet to shoulder supports,air fences.following trauma support units.. don't worry . :bike:

:bier: ''don't crash'' wear bandanna. ?  :huh2: don't put to much to these findings.as varied as findings to global warming..i ride with both,full face and jet style. so.. :huh2:

75906[/snapback]

Take a look at:

Guy  :helmet:

75904[/snapback]

I'd rather croak and leave an exquisite corpse...

Full face always...

Maybe the best compromise is a flip front lid. The slightly lower stiffness of the hinged chin bar might after all be an advantage.

Just shows you how complicated life can be.

Of course, the best way of avoiding a bike injury is not to crash in the first place.

Full face helmets are for sissies!

75927[/snapback]

...and people who wear them hang out in sissy bars!!!!

I remember a similar report on the effects of improperly fitting helmets and the injuries they noted from wearing too large a helmet were similar to the Aussie report.

I wear a full face helmet for 95 % of the riding I do whether it is stunting or cruising but sometimes nothing beats my old pudding pot helmet for a casual Sunday afternoon ride on a hot sunny day.

P.S. I am waiting to see this turn into a Fall Faeced Walnut thread!!

Rain and bugs keep me in a full face. Otherwise, I agree Nogbad. If you crash, it's going to hurt. So I'll assume the worst and hope it keeps me on top of things as much as possible. :)

:2c: Crashing sucks.

I've long suspected that a crash at anything more than say 20 mph without a helmet will likely kill you, and that with a helmet you will likely be a blubbering mass of protoplasm using a pencil in your teeth to drive your chair around the nursing home. So, I'm fairly understanding of those who choose not to wear one. Personally, I feel my odds are better with one ... and the comfort and protection of a full face in the rain or wind seems to offset any disadvantages, per the report shown here.

I wonder if Leno can wear a FF?

:2c:

Okay, Ratchet. Your turn.

I have trouble with this concept, " The cushioning potential of facial fracturing" not that I doubt it, but just thinking about it :vomit:

But the study does give me more faith in my flip-up full face helmet.

I guess there is no study on wearing a boxer's mouth piece(unused <_>