New tires, sport or touring?

Guest vratbastard

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Oh bugger. I ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Roads for my 2000 V11 sport. After ordering, I did a search here and didn't see anyone using them.

Did I make a mistake? Is the Pilot Road a bad choice for the V11?

I ride medium aggresive through the curves, lots o' curves here in West Virginia, but usually still manage to flatten out the rear because I use the bike for touring and inevitably end up on the slab at some point.

Thanks for the input.

The shop had a set of Dunlop 208s in stock, but I had the order the Michelins because I knew nothing about the 208's. Is the Dunlop a better choice?

fish

Guest Nogbad
Oh bugger.  I  ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Roads for my 2000 V11 sport.  After ordering, I did a search here and didn't see anyone using them.

Did I make a mistake?  Is the Pilot Road a bad choice for the V11?

I ride medium aggresive through the curves, lots o' curves here in West Virginia, but usually still manage to flatten out the rear  because I use the bike for touring and inevitably end up on the slab at some point.

Thanks for the input.

The shop had a set of Dunlop 208s in stock, but I had the order the Michelins because I knew nothing about the 208's.  Is the Dunlop a better choice?

fish

91128[/snapback]

The D208 is a sports tyre, I have them on my Firebolt and BT020 on my V11. The Buell has only done 1300 miles since I got it and the front is already showing signs of scalloping, although the rear is not flattening off despite a fair few of the miles being on slab. Buells are allegedly very heavy on tyres.

The 020 seems fine on my V11, I have no problems with them dry or wet, but I am not the most aggressive of riders to say the least. The previous BT57s gave me 8000 miles on the rear and 11000 on the front. The 020s are giving a similar wear rate.

I don't see why the Pilot Road should be a bad tyre for the V11.

I have had the Pilo9t Road. With these tyres I've covered 16k km.

You are right about the curve. The Pilot Road is not the ideal tyre to ride aggressive in the curves. But you can ride a lot with them.

Why not the Diablo?????

On eBay you can buy them for a really friendly price. Not order, but buy!

There is always some motor store who will put these tyres on your bike.

Take a look on this item on eBay……..4646545837

Thanks, guys. I guess I'll stick with the Pilot Roads. I hope to make time to tour up to Nova Scotia this year and they sound like good touring tires. I plan to ride next weekend with some aggressive riders-- we'll see how they do then in the twisties. Have to be better than the BT 50 that a lousy shop put on the back last time-- it was slicker than snot. They tried to charge me for the BT 20 that I ordered, too.. :angry:

Antonio-- I always buy my tires from the shop-- I just figure they need to make money, too. And I'm not too bright. :P

I was reasonably happy with the BT 20's. Just wanted to see if anything better was out there.

fish

Oh nogbad, I love Buells. Hope to have one in the shed sometime.

I have the Conti Road Attack's and they seem fine, although I don't have a lot to compare to. I'm not an aggresive rider. I have had a total of about 20 miles of dirt/gravel road on rides and they and me did ok. I guess my point as someone mentioned.... all around it's good comprimise if most of the riding is street. Having said this, I may look into Metzlers the next swap as I have them on my Vic and it was like getting a new bike when I put them on. I just haven't looked into their sport offerings yet.

Just pulled a set of Contis off my Duc.

8K mi...no squared off area...still a nice even radius..no ridges or feathering.

Changing the Back Road attack on the LeMans.. 7K mi..

not to the wear bars yet but taking a 3K mi trip in a couple

of weeks. This one has squared off just a little but I attribute that

to a leaky tire valve and a 300mi day...when I checked it it was down to 28psi..

Dammm!

I actually think any of the modern tires are fine. I also think very few are pushing these

new tires overly hard in the turns on public roads or their concern for safety is really misguided. "I'm worried my tires aren't safe as I'm drifting them through a 100mph

turn on LaLa Lane"

Any time I get out of shape it's something evil on the road surface...

or It's under acceleration..which is plenty good fun. Gimme a tire that is good in the rain..gets some decent milage and is PREDICTABLE in a slide. ..I can work with that.

Other than that I am waiting for a tire that will stick on antifreeze and sand. :D

I'm told by a gent in these parts known as "The Tire Nazi" (years before the Sienfeld episode.) That the difference between a V or Z rating and an H rating is not the compound but the AMOUNT of rubber. More rubber= More heat = failure.

He says a tire rated for 150mph means it will do 150mph continuously without

failure. They are tested @ 240mph...A bit more than I need.. :2c:

There's a lot more stuff out there that will ruin your day than which brand Z rated tire

you have on.

All that being said I think my next tires might be Avons.. I kinda like what I've heard

and read about them. :D Fickle ain't I? :mg:

I'm told by a gent in these parts known as "The Tire Nazi" (years before the Sienfeld episode.) That the difference between a V or Z rating and an H rating is not the compound but the AMOUNT of rubber. More rubber= More heat = failure.

He says a tire rated for 150mph means it will do 150mph continuously without

failure. They are tested @ 240mph...A bit more than I need..  :2c:

There's a lot more stuff out there that will ruin your day than which brand Z rated tire

you have on.

All that being said I think my next tires might be Avons.. I kinda like what I've heard

and read about them.  :D  Fickle ain't I?  :mg:

91165[/snapback]

Being fickle may be the best way to learn :grin:

Why more rubber?

I thought the speed rating had more to do with the rigidity of the carcass, and how it holds its shape at speed.

But then what engineering would make the difference between weight bearing and speed rating? :huh2:

The "more rubber" is on the lower speed rated tires.

They have more rubber (more milage) causing them to heat up more...go south...

therefore can't carry the 150mph rating.

He says the compound is the same...and we're all being led down the prim rose path.

He sells tires...thats all he does. Walks around the rallys analizing peoples tires.

He's a real trip. :D He put me straight about the over sized tire that came on my Duc.

First time I met him. Just walked over from 30 feet away and says "Ya got the wrong size tire on there." Being a laid back kinda guy I just go "Ya?" (always looking for entertainment..figuring this should be good for a laugh) After about 10 minutes I realized he was exactly right and running an oversized tire is quite squidly due to how

it deforms as it wears in. Anyway the guy is a trip but I enjoy seeing him...some not so much. :D He rides a Thruxton now and thinks my LeMans and Guzzis in general are to be reveared...I couldn't agree more. :mg:

Anyway...back to the tire thing...I think it's like Converse and Nike...

are you really going to play better basketball in $100 sneakers than $30 sneakers?

Or are you just going to look like you do?

Chicken strips? We don't need no stinkin' chicken strips.. :race::race:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f263/Oui...hickenStrip.jpg

When they're gone, I'm gonna try either a set of the Pirelli Dragon GTS or a set of the Metzeler Z6 Roadtech.

I didn't like the Avon Azaro AV45/46 or the Metzeler ME-Z4 on my Sport 1100.  While they were stable and performed great in the rain, the rounded profile really slowed the steering and turn-in characteristics of an already slow turning bike.

My Sport 1100 likes "pointy" tires.  I'm sure my new Nero Corsa does too...

FWIW, everyone I know thats ridden the Pilot Power absolutely loves them.  "Everyone" was running them when I attended a STT trackday at Barber's.

I don't think they'll last long on the street, though...

77383[/snapback]

I've got Avons on my V11 and I think they're pretty good.......last LOOOOONG. I think they have a much more triangular profile than the stock (garbage) Bridgestones I spooned off and make the bike a lot quicker. Not the stickiest, perhaps, but good in a LOT of ways. He's right, though, a heavy bike like this wants a 'pointier' tire.

Had Metzelers on other bikes of mine, including the Z6, LOVED them. Gonna try Z6's on this on when the Avons give up (looks like a long time from now). Continentals have been junk in my experience, as, surprisingly, have been my experiences with ALL Dunlops. Not ever remember having Michelins on any bike.

Tire threads.........who can resist them??

Anybody actully tried the Pirelli Diablo Strada or Metzeler Z6's on a V11?

Both are presented as extended mileage sport touring tires.

They got pretty good reviews on Bikeland.org site.

77641[/snapback]

I've got the Diablo Stradas on my LeMans. Huge improvement over the stock Bridgestones. That is the only thing I can compare them to on a V11. I have the Z6's on my RT and like them better than the original Z4s, but these bikes have such different handling characteristics that it is tough to compare tires. Both warm up quickly and offer great wet & dry traction.

:2c:

Here's my 2c worth : on my 2001 v11 (red frame), I just changed the original BT57's for Pilot Powers, 120 front, 160 rear

... the bike has become :

- absolutely neutral, with & without pillion

- lighter steering

- rock steady

... what more do you want ?

The handling is now pretty close to the ducati I had before. We did over 200k's yesterday. Rock steady at 170kph, easy at 130, a doddle anywhere lower. Haven't yet used all the sidewall, but we're getting there... And the engine is sooooo smooth compared to the duc ... fantastic !

Should be a good summer ...

:2c:

....I think it's like Converse and Nike...

are you really going to play better basketball in $100 sneakers than $30 sneakers?

Or are you just going to look like you do?...

I don't disagree w anything you say cept to tell other people what's good for them.

As for £30 or £100 tyres - try a pilot Power 2CT against a BT020 - any possible road situation & tell me which you'd rather be on. Good grip/handling takes tyres out the equation - end of story.... cept for maybe you wouldn't've got into that situation in the first place w/o that grip...

Take it easy,

KB :sun: