New tires, sport or touring?

Guest vratbastard

Sorry if I sounded like I'm telling other people whats good for them.

I'm on here with a pretty tounge in cheek attitude. I look at it more like I'm telling

other people around the world about me...people I hold in fairly high esteem.. seein' how they ride a Guzzi an' all. :D

I have a very cynical sense of humor...especially about "products"

and "marketing".

As far as telling people what to do...if you think your $200 race compound tires

aren't gripping good enough...try slowing down. :D

Just pointing out the irony. :drink:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the Continental Road Attacks on my MZ 1000 and am at about 3000 miles. The front is barely showing any wear (the "Conti Attack" logos embossed into the fronts tread is still showing). The rear looks to have about another 1500-2000 or so miles left on it. I think I could get 3-4 rears to a front they way I ride....I previously had Metzler Sportecs and got 2700 and 2500 on two rears before the front was about done. The Road Attacks are probably the best wearing tires for a sport-touring tire that can handle aggressive riding also.....I have pushed them pretty hard (rear- edge to edge) in the NC and Georgia mountain twisties with no issues and have gotten a knee down even. Very planted, stable, neutral feeling....I have confidence in them and will stick with them. But any of the tires out there are good tires, I think it's only when you have a hyper-sports bike and ride it like a racer that you will reach the limits of some tires.....I also like the Dunlop Qualifiers....I have them on my Laverda, have done two track days, stick like a "Boog" on your finger.........As well as Pilot Powers..... :bier:

Guest ratchethack
Sorry if I sounded like I'm telling other people whats good for them.

Not at all, Weej.....I certainly didn't get that impression. No need to apologize - - unless of course you want to apologize for the apology!!!! :P

I'm on here with a pretty tounge in cheek attitude. I look at it more like I'm telling

other people around the world about me...people I hold in fairly high esteem.. seein' how they ride a Guzzi an' all.  :D

I have a very cynical sense of humor...especially about "products"

and "marketing".

I'm wit'choo, man!

As far as telling people what to do...if you think your $200 race compound tires

aren't gripping good enough...try slowing down.   :D

Just pointing out the irony.  :drink: 

Y'er nailin' it, my friend! ;)

We live in a dumbed-down, hyper-sensitized societal structure today that's dictated by a twisted Popular Kulture that increasingly resents strong points of view. It's one of the many abominable side-effects that Feminism has inflicted upon us for 3 generations now....... :bbblll:

What gets to the people who resent strong points of view the most is when you're fully prepared to present HARD, COMMON SENSE, FACTUAL EVIDENCE to back y'erself up......Boy, that REALLY gets their panties in a twist...... The most Feminized among us will then continue to RESENT you for it AND THEN carry a grudge forever......does this sound like any particular periodic condition of the fairer sex???? Trouble is, when PC - or shall we say, PK - GUYS start picking up the SAME behavior patterns, it ain't any longer just a monthly thing........... :homer::grin:

Keep up the common sense and logic, Weej..... :thumbsup:

My Pirelliu scorpion sync's work great, good life so far, stick well from edge to edge only not as point as the dragons that were on it, took a little getting used to but they are no slouch, BUT these syncs are actually pretty darn decent in the dirt and such as well. I think I might just replace the rear with the same when its due. :thumbsup:

These are the pirellis they put on the new Buells, (especially the cityx) :ninja:

....As far as telling people what to do...if you think your $200 race compound tires aren't gripping good enough...try slowing down.  :D Just pointing out the irony.  :drink:

91285[/snapback]

maybe i'm missing your point here or maybe you're missing mine - sports 2CT's have loads of grip for me - more than enough, pos too much for me on the road. But other tyres don't - not all tyres are the same. it is the unpredictable nature of some tyres that causes problems & sure, just like bad brakes - if you got bad tyres you slow down. :huh2:

All that bugs me is people assuming that what they like to do should also be what i do - each to his own so long as we don't cause problems for others....

KB :sun:

:D Point? I'm not making no steeenking point...

Well ...maybe I am. I'd rater think I'm just 'splanin' what kinda guy I am.

I have the opinion all the good new tires are pretty darn good.Pirerlli, Michelins,

Metzler, Avons. Maybe I just haven't had any sucky ones. I used to run Dunlops

for a solid 20 yrs. then switched to Metz for 10 yrs or so... Z6s being the last series.

Read some good stuff about the Contis and have ridden 3 sets right out to the edges.

(Hey...I paid for the sides... I'm using the sides!) I would never want to have to go back

to the old Dunlops. I did break them loose on ocasion...and they were terrible in the wet. Thats a huge consideration for me. I get caught in the rain.. a lot. (My main objective when I throw my leg over my bike is to get as far away from civilization as I got time for) Thats deffinately a trade off I'd make...gimme the tire thats better in the rain than the super sticky tire thats not as good in the rain. Else we'd all be running slicks.

So different people have diferent needs. I'd love to be doing track days. If I was I'm shure I'd be a lot more picky about tires. I've read here about people liking poitier

tires for quicker handling. Me ..I like my tire keeping a nice consistent radius..I love

that big slower handling ..hauling it down feeling of my LeMans. It might keep my

speed down ...(good) but I prefer that feeling to my very quick handling Duc...

(I'll sell ya one cheap). I guess I'm just getting old... :D I like having to set up early

and roll the power on through the corner rather than diving in and yankin' and crankin'. :race: ( oh yea!...I used to love that too)

I really love :wub: the way the LeMans handles.

I hope you don't think I'm being contetious. I'm just tellin' ya about me.

I get pretty carried away talkin' bikes...(the wife thinks I'm mentally ill.)

but I'd rather make friends than "points". I should work in a bike shop but they expect ya to work weekends...!!! And not ride???!!

Maybe I'm not concerned so much with the search for the Uber Tire because of 10 yrs. of ice racing...if the back lets go a little I don't flinch.. I just grin and gas it. :P

(don't try this at home) I've only slid the front once on the road...on the Duc..

it behaved admirably...to fast in the dark..unexpected 90 deg turn..first set of Contis.

Didn't grin. :o

Don't take me too seriously ...I don't.

Image002.jpg

Guest ratchethack
......gimme the tire thats better in the rain than the super sticky tire thats not as good in the rain. Else we'd all be running slicks.

So different people have diferent needs. I'd love to be doing track days. If I was I'm shure I'd be a lot more picky about tires. I've read here about people liking poitier tires for quicker handling. Me ..I like my tire keeping a nice consistent radius..I love that big slower handling ..hauling it down feeling of my LeMans. It might keep my speed down ...(good) but I prefer that feeling to my very quick handling Duc... (I'll sell ya one cheap). I guess I'm just getting old...  :D I like having to set up early and roll the power on through the corner rather than diving in and yankin' and crankin'.  :race: ( oh yea!...I used to love that too)

I really love  :wub:  the way the LeMans handles.

I hope you don't think I'm being contetious. .....Maybe I'm not concerned so much with the search for the Uber Tire because of 10 yrs. of ice racing...if the back lets go a little I don't flinch.. I just grin and gas it.  :P

Hey Weej - you mean to say that you don't have some kind of an ever-pressing, gnawing urgency that relentlessly compels you to chase some imaginary illusion of the very latest bleeding-edge "racing" gear based on on proven market-study words that some moto-journo-whore used to sell a magazine?!?!

And what's this? You'd actually ride on Sport/Touring tires?!?!?! You're just not "with it", man! ;):whistle:

Well said again, Weej.

Cdr. Hatchracket, S.O.C.*, Road Geez Brigade, signing out.....

*Special Operations Curmudgeon

CARRY ON!!!! :lol:

:D Point? I'm not making no steeenking point...

Don't take me too seriously ...I don't.

Image002.jpg

91318[/snapback]

Never mind all of that. I just want to know what the hell that thing is on your head in that picture. Is it a WW2 leather flight helmet??? You may be wackier than I thought :D

If you're looking to dump the duck I have a buddy who may be interested since you're not too far from us. If you're serious about selling it PM or email me the details and I'll start bugging him right away!

aren't gripping good enough...try slowing down.  :D

Just pointing out the irony.  :drink:

91285[/snapback]

Actually, it's probably the opposite: If you got race compound tires and they're slipping, you definitely need to SPEED UP:

Most riders can't ride aggressively enough (or fast enough) on the street to sufficiently heat up those race tires to the level they need to grip the way they were designed to on the track.

Another reason why we should leave the expert gear to the experts and use the stuff that's been engineered for the kind of riding WE DO

It's like buying a golf driver with an extra stiff shaft ... most regular golfers can't create the club head speed to flex that shaft the way it needs to be to perform as it was designed. Doesn't make you a bad golfer, just because you can't use the pro equipment. in short, stick with sport touring tires and you should be good to go, no matter what brand you ultimately decide on.

....What gets to the people who resent strong points of view the most is when you're fully prepared to present HARD, COMMON SENSE, FACTUAL EVIDENCE to back y'erself up....

Facts for you may not be facts for me.

KB :sun:

Guest golden goose

Haven't tried the Michelin Pilot Powers yet, but as I understand it, they are also of the new cross-linked silica compunds which have appeared over the past year or so. The Metzeler Z6 is such a tire. Now, depending on who you are trying to impress, these tires may definitely not be for you. Tires made of these compounds do not tend to shred like your garden variety super sticky sport tires. Nor are they good for just a couple of rides up the Crest. And up there, seems all you hear about are sticky Dunlops with the odd allegiance to Michelin, Pirelli and the like.

I just sit back and smile. Just the last year of riding the Dawn Patrol up to the Ranch with these guys, I always let them ride point, even though with the K12S all kitted out with race filters/exhaust and the one and only Power Commander (DynoJet has decided not to offer it for this machine, so mine may be the only one), Hossack front-end etc., and enough skill to stay up with them, I have the horsepower to smoke most of them. But there is roadcraft involved here. Not all that unoften, they will find the odd patch of gravel strewn over a curve, patch of ice (in winter), rock, idiot stopped in the road etc., just enough before I get there that I get to help scrape them and their bikes off the road instead of vice-versa. Same principle seems to apply to the tires. Running at virtually the same speed as they are, often pulling even harder out of the corners with so much more power, and on Z6s, there would seem to be no reason to even ponder their wisdom on tires. I get at least 3 times their mileage, and more than some others, and have no problems with traction, or, dare the truth be known, keeping up with them handily. But the nether sidewalls of my tires are only vaguely shredded, so the phallic impression is not so strong. Just like whose is longer, visuals of this sort make decisive impressions on the weak minded.

These new silica compounds are blurring the differences we used to note between a soft and hard compound. The old rules do not necessarily apply anymore. Such is the way of technology. Not all that different from letting them find the "issues" plaguing the road on that morning's ride first.

Trying to explain this philosophy to such is a lot like trying to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it really annoys the pig.

Actually, it's probably the opposite:  If you got race compound tires and they're slipping, you definitely need to SPEED UP:

Most riders can't ride aggressively enough (or fast enough) on the street to sufficiently heat up those race tires to the level they need to grip the way they were designed to on the track.

That’s something I can support. I have now the 218 Dunlop under my Le Mans, and they are doing good to super if they are warm anough.

By low temperature (tyre temp.) the bike is not gripping as I want. Let's make something clear, the tyre is just perfect for the summer! And I have to ride like dbdicker is suggesting….

d218_2004.jpg

Anybody actully tried the Pirelli Diablo Strada or Metzeler Z6's on a V11?

Both are presented as extended mileage sport touring tires.

They got pretty good reviews on Bikeland.org site.

77641[/snapback]

I have put them on one of my other bikes an FJR1300 and they are preferred ove the BT 020s and the Avon ST45 and 46. They have not been on long enough to check wear but feel very good indeed.