New tires, sport or touring?

Guest vratbastard

Guest vratbastard

I'm looking into getting some new tires, the Pirellis are getting a bit old. Maybe 3000 miles left on them.

So my question is what tires for the v11 sport. I mean it's a sporty bike but, it's not really a sportbike by my standards. I've heard alot of very good things about the new Michelin pilot powers but, I'm curious about these new Dunlop qualifiers? And do I really need a "sticky"compound for the street, and some touring purposes? I guess it really depends on the rider and the kinda of riding that they do. Mileage is also a factor cause you'll be very hard pressed to get even 5K out of the pilot powers (with my riding).

What tires, and is there a good compromise between grip and mileage? :huh2:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking into getting some new tires, the Pirellis are getting a bit old. Maybe 3000 miles left on them.

So my question is what tires for the v11 sport. I mean it's a sporty bike but, it's not really a sportbike by my standards. I've heard alot of very good things about the new Michelin pilot powers but, I'm curious about these new Dunlop qualifiers? And do I really need a "sticky"compound for the street, and some touring purposes? I guess it really depends on the rider and the kinda of riding that they do.  Mileage is also a factor cause you'll be very hard pressed to get even 5K out of the pilot powers (with my riding).

What tires, and is there a good compromise between grip and mileage? :huh2:

77377[/snapback]

I've used Pirelli Dragon GTS with good results on my 1996 Sport 1100. 6,000-7,000 miles tire life. Good rain performance and good sporting performance.

The Bridgestone BT-014 that I have on it now has been the best sporting tire I've tried on it. The 2,000 mile life not so good. I forget about that when I'm at the track, though !!!

My new Nero Corsa is wearing a brand new set of Pirelli Diablo Corsa tires. I doubt they'll last much longer than the Bridgestone BT-014s on my Sport 1100.

When they're gone, I'm gonna try either a set of the Pirelli Dragon GTS or a set of the Metzeler Z6 Roadtech.

I didn't like the Avon Azaro AV45/46 or the Metzeler ME-Z4 on my Sport 1100. While they were stable and performed great in the rain, the rounded profile really slowed the steering and turn-in characteristics of an already slow turning bike.

My Sport 1100 likes "pointy" tires. I'm sure my new Nero Corsa does too...

FWIW, everyone I know thats ridden the Pilot Power absolutely loves them. "Everyone" was running them when I attended a STT trackday at Barber's.

I don't think they'll last long on the street, though...

Guest vratbastard
I've used Pirelli Dragon GTS with good results on my 1996 Sport 1100.  6,000-7,000 miles tire life.  Good rain performance and good sporting performance.

The Bridgestone BT-014 that I have on it now has been the best sporting tire I've tried on it.  The 2,000 mile life not so good.  I forget about that when I'm at the track, though !!!

My new Nero Corsa is wearing a brand new set of Pirelli Diablo Corsa tires.  I doubt they'll last much longer than the Bridgestone BT-014s on my Sport 1100.

When they're gone, I'm gonna try either a set of the Pirelli Dragon GTS or a set of the Metzeler Z6 Roadtech.

I didn't like the Avon Azaro AV45/46 or the Metzeler ME-Z4 on my Sport 1100.  While they were stable and performed great in the rain, the rounded profile really slowed the steering and turn-in characteristics of an already slow turning bike.

My Sport 1100 likes "pointy" tires.  I'm sure my new Nero Corsa does too...

FWIW, everyone I know thats ridden the Pilot Power absolutely loves them.  "Everyone" was running them when I attended a STT trackday at Barber's.

77383[/snapback]

I think I'm leaning towards the Dunlop Qualifiers, it's still a sport tire. Though I think it will last longer than the Michelin pilot powers. As Dunlop street tires usually do. It's a new offering from Dunlop (as of this year?), and I haven't really heard good or bad about them yet (too new). Slightly cheaper than the powers as well.

I've got alittle while to think on it but, it'll be down to those two for sure....I think.

I think you will find that the Pirelli Diablo Corsa's will give pretty good mileage (much better than the Metzeler Sportec M1). I had a pair on my Rosso Corsa for 6000 miles and I like to tear up the twistys. :race: I have also done many freeway miles on the same set and I rate these as the tire I like the best. On the street, hot or cold, wet or dry, on the track, they work excellent as well. Never have failed me.

The BT-014 work excellent as well, but I did drop my bike at the track with these tires. Worked flawlessly until I lost the rear end accelerating hard out of a turn. Next time out on the track, my bike will be wearing Pirelli Diable Corsa's. Just not worth the gamble.

Keep the rubber side down :thumbsup: ,

Mike

I've used Pirelli Dragon GTS with good results on my 1996 Sport 1100.  6,000-7,000 miles tire life.  Good rain performance and good sporting performance.

The Bridgestone BT-014 that I have on it now has been the best sporting tire I've tried on it.  The 2,000 mile life not so good.  I forget about that when I'm at the track, though !!!

My new Nero Corsa is wearing a brand new set of Pirelli Diablo Corsa tires.  I doubt they'll last much longer than the Bridgestone BT-014s on my Sport 1100.

I didn't like the Avon Azaro AV45/46 or the Metzeler ME-Z4 on my Sport 1100.  While they were stable and performed great in the rain, the rounded profile really slowed the steering and turn-in characteristics of an already slow turning bike.

My Sport 1100 likes "pointy" tires.  I'm sure my new Nero Corsa does too...

FWIW, everyone I know thats ridden the Pilot Power absolutely loves them.  "Everyone" was running them when I attended a STT trackday at Barber's.

77383[/snapback]

. . .  So my question is what tires for the v11 sport. I mean it's a sporty bike but, it's not really a sportbike by my standards. . . Mileage is also a factor cause you'll be very hard pressed to get even 5K out of the pilot powers (with my riding). . .

77377[/snapback]

Can't tell what is your riding style (ie. high mileage highway touring, or agressive street riding) but if I were putting 5-10 K per year on the super slab I would go with a high mileage touring tire. But that's not me. With my job (6 days a week, 10 hours a day) I usually only get to ride on Sundays, so I try to put on the stickiest street tires possible, regardless of the type of riding I am going to do. A compromise tire would be something along the lines of a Continental Road Attack.

Guest vratbastard
Can't tell what is your riding style (ie.  high mileage highway touring, or agressive street riding) but if I were putting 5-10 K per year on the super slab I would go with a high mileage touring tire.  But that's not me.  With my job (6 days a week, 10 hours a day) I usually only get to ride on Sundays, so I try to put on the stickiest street tires possible, regardless of the type of riding I am going to do.  A compromise tire would be something along the lines of a Continental Road Attack.

77397[/snapback]

Yeah, I live downtown denver so I don't have too much problem with "chicken stripes" (flat spots) on my tires. Last year I put about 9K on my Suzki TL1000R with the stock (pos!) Dunlop D207 tires, and they barely made it (cords!)! And those were mostly commuting miles but, I generally go for rides up into the hills (canyon carving) every- if not everyother weekend. I've tried the pirelli diablos too they are a good tire, but I don't think think that the compounds are quite up to the current offerings from dunlop, or michelin. But, it's cool having an Italian bike with Italian rubber underneath it!

Like many other things tires are very much a personal preference (lol!). Much like motor oil or anything else, they are all generally good by todays standards. It's just which one you like; whether it be name brand or from past experience. But you just can't deny the overall praise that the Michelin Pilot Powers have gotten so far. I'm just worried about the mileage, if they're as good as everyone says they are then I guess it shouldn't matter too much, eh? It's always a compromise with tires! ;)

Last week end we discovered some new back farm roads comming back

from Gillette Castle on the Connecticut River. Twisty, uninhabited roads that you get

glimpses od the next couple corners...in other words ...perfect.

Managed to burry my side stand on 3 seperate occasions @ 50-60 mph.

Air temp +- 45 Pavement temp? Not warm. Conti's behaved fine.

What more do you ask of tires? Ha!

Also had alot of fun on the six lane back- back roads.

3 lanes of pavement...3 lanes of sand. Good for practicing your focus and

decision making abilities. Seat puckering @ 35-40

Been an unbeliveable winter...600mi in Jan!! The Gods are merciful.

the Michelin Pilot family has been getting a lot of praise on norwegian bikeforums, especially for being extremely good on typical nordic conditions: cold, wet, greasy roads. I am heading the Pilot Power way in spring.

:huh2: being thinkin bought tyres.as i need another set. at present i have worn out bridgestones. 020 on rear, 014 front they're shagged. i got 9500 km out of them. better than 7800 km from the original fittment of bt56. i thought the bridgies worked ok but leaning toward the pilots, [might get down to price] ciao.

Guest trispeed

I second the motion in favor of the Continental Road Attacks. I can't verify the mileage myself, as I have only 2 rides on them so far but I can tell you that they handle with fantastic neutrality and have a compliant ride along with more stick than you could use on the street. I have many friends who have put miles on them and they tend to get 6 to 7,000 sport miles on them; about double most other sporty tires, in their experience!!!

Guest vratbastard

Hmmmm, Contis Road Attacks huh. I might have into look into those, last nearly twice as long as the typical sticky tires I'm used to and cost less! I might have to try a set, thinking about having my bike shipped over to England (either that or buy a "banger" bike over there!) this summer for a few months and possibly doing alittle tour around Europe. :bike:

you mean.........or thesepirelli_strada.jpg

77645[/snapback]

Well, I think it the one on the left. Not the straight Diablo, but the newer Diablo Strada.

Here's the website

http://www.pirellidiablo.com/en_96/diabloS...bloStrada.jhtml

and a screenshot from apdf file.

Diablo_Strada.jpg

By some accounts it may be an identical tire to the Z6, but is priced a little higher.