bubbling engine paint

Guest john needham

Guest dogbarczar

I just stripped my engine and painted it with Harley wrinkle paint.

Had to remove Harley black wrinkle paint as it did not cure properly and looked crappy. I followed the directions on the can to the tee. I don't know if the temp. was to low was about 73 degrees. But I fired up the woodstove in the garage and got it up to the 80's.

I spoke with someone at the Harley dealership, they told me to use and electronic heat shrink wrap heat gun.

So, I put on a nice coat and immediately hit it with the heat gun and it worked great.

So my recommendation is to buy a heat gun and use it.

:2c:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bshpilot
Can anyone can help?  I`ve bought a mint 02 V11 with only 1700 m on the clock.  On closer inspection the paint on the engine block has some bubbles (has not flaked yet!).  Until reading issues on this site I thought the bubbles were actually part of the effect!

Do I just let it flake off?  What`s underneath - will it rust? Can I repaint?  Have I any recourse to MG or dealer?

Cheers

77734[/snapback]

i had my engine cases replaced under warrenty by MPH in Houston...im VERY

happy w/ the decision to haul it 1300mi and then ride it back...dealer

closest to me could not perform the work.

if the unit is outta warrenty (dont know if you bought a left over or demo

that has some warrenty)...you might STILL try putting in a warrenty claim...

unless the privious owner took the SWAG instead of the repair.

i beleive there might be a set of extra cases at a dealer....if you wanted

to have 'em replaced (at your cost or otherwise).

only other thing you might check into...Hardley Davidson makes a crinkle

black engine paint...god knows its probably overpriced and in a chrome

can...but you might spot testing it on the engine to see how it might cover

• 5 months later...

I've had a warranty claim in on my 03 Sprt Naked for 1.5yrs +. I just got word from my dealer that MGNA are offering an "Engine Case Waiver". Instead of getting a replacement case they are offering a list of accessories instead. I'm thinking of choosing the Carbon Fiber Kit, just waiting to hear exactly what is in it. Has anyone else used this waiver option when dealing with this issue?

Thanks for the DIY posts on fixing this problem, I'll look that way since my dealer hasn't provided any answers. :bier:

Here's a summary of what's on the list for the waiver, I've got a copy of the form and could fax it if anyone needs it.

For the V11 Sport:

Carbon Fiber Acc Kit

-or-

Soft Luggage Kit

-and/or- (unclear)

Sport Footrest Kit

The Guzzi Cruiser Models could get:

Hard Saddlebag Kit

Leather Saddlebag Kit

King and Queen seat (California EV)

I went with the make a claim/spray it with the harley paint route. Paint worked fine, and looks pretty good. I can notice new vs old, but no else has been able to tell the difference. I think the can was only like $12 bucks at the dealer, and there's more than enough. Just make sure the cases are warm, as per the can. Course, if I didn't have the whole damn thing torn apart already, I was really planning on just ignoring it. :huh2:

After a few years of waiting for new cases and Piaggio USA "loosing" the all pending warranty claims......I finally just painted my cases at home with the HD paint. Of course I took plenty of pictures before hand (to include my engine number) so I can get a box of accessories that I don't need....ha ha.

Anyways, the paint matches almost perfectly....really amazing. I took exhaust off and just taped off everything else to avoid overspray....I think I spend more time taping than painting. Make sure and use the Harley TEXTURED paint and not the wrinkle paint.....they are two different types....the textured is for matching up the newer style HD powder coat engines, which is very similiar to the OEM guzzi textured paint as opposed to the older Harley wrinkle black cases. I went through about 6 different dremil attachments but got it fairly smooth then put on about 4 thin coats....if you put too thick of a coat on at one time then you'll lose the texture look. btw....I bought 2 cans but only need 1....something to keep in mind considering that you pay the Harley tax of $14 per can.

I'd love to have a copy of the waiver...can someone post it or email it too me?

cheers,

Jason

I've had a warranty claim in on my 03 Sprt Naked for 1.5yrs +. I just got word from my dealer that MGNA are offering an "Engine Case Waiver". Instead of getting a replacement case they are offering a list of accessories instead. I'm thinking of choosing the Carbon Fiber Kit, just waiting to hear exactly what is in it. . . .

Carbon fiber kit . . . top shelf IMHBAO :grin:

52241312-6403-0190012C-.jpg

Oke,

The Carbon kits we received from MGNA did not include

the Scura fuel tank/chin pad insert.

I have been told the carbon piece off the Scura does not fit the

V11 Sports which cmae with the rubber pad on top of the tank.

Can anyone confirm this info?

gh,

Will look tomorrow and see if I can scrounge up a copy of the

waiver bulletin.

Todd is correct in that the current kit (the last one we got was in May) does not contain the tank piece. They did raise the price, though.

Here's a tip for those of you who have been waiting forever for new cases: Have your dealerr tear down the motor, and have someone else paint the case. have the sealer claim that the case was replaced (he does not have to prove he got a case from MGNA), and use the money the dealer would have spent buying the case to have the crank balanced and a little port work done, along with new rod bearings. Make sure they also replace the rod bolts, as these should not be re-used and are legit to claim as part of the case replacement.

Of course, Moto Intl. would never do such a thing :P but that doesn't mean your dealer wouldn't . . .

Of course, Moto Intl. would never do such a thing :P but that doesn't mean your dealer wouldn't . . .

Oh look! There's a Unicorn! And a squadron of flying pigs! And some Mermaids! And a brace of Phoenixes! and.......... :grin:

Pete

Todd is correct in that the current kit (the last one we got was in May) does not contain the tank piece. They did raise the price, though.

Here's a tip for those of you who have been waiting forever for new cases: Have your dealerr tear down the motor, and have someone else paint the case. have the sealer claim that the case was replaced (he does not have to prove he got a case from MGNA), and use the money the dealer would have spent buying the case to have the crank balanced and a little port work done, along with new rod bearings. Make sure they also replace the rod bolts, as these should not be re-used and are legit to claim as part of the case replacement.

Why would you need to dismantle the big ends?

Oke,

The Carbon kits we received from MGNA did not include

the Scura fuel tank/chin pad insert.

I have been told the carbon piece off the Scura does not fit the

V11 Sports which cmae with the rubber pad on top of the tank.

Can anyone confirm this info?

gh,

Will look tomorrow and see if I can scrounge up a copy of the

waiver bulletin.

Thanks Todd! I looked into getting the Scura CF tank pad at one time but it needed to screw into a bracket that bolts to the tank....a different one than the grommet style of the standard V11 rubber pad pops into. I never found any availability of the bracket and just recovered the rubber pad to match my new seat.

Before Michelle left MGNA, she told me that MGNA will pay the dealer a flat rate of 12 labor hours.....is that still accurate? I've been wanting to balance & port at some time down the road though this may be the way to go....I just moved north a bit and need to get acquainted with the new dealer to see if they are capable and willing to do this. still makes me nervous to take a part a strong running engine.....hence the Harley paint for the time being.

cheers,

jason