Guzzi Sport Exhaust

Guest Buddy

Guest Buddy

Have just had Guzzi's own Titanium exhaust fitted (97.32.60.90.009) to my 2001 V11, by those fine chaps at Italian Motorcycles, Devon. Kit comes complete with Titanium Cans, Rear Footrest Hangers and New CDI unit. Went on really easily. Runs great, Sounds fantastic, and looks very good. Looks very similar to the Scorpion System fitted on Ashley Law's 2002 TT Tenni. :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Buddy

668 Pounds Sterling (exc tax). This included the whole lot. i.e. The two cans, the replacement rear footrest hangers and the CDI unit. The whole thing took just over 1 hour to fit. Also the cans are marked with the Moto Guzzi logo.

Guest Buddy

I have also polished the front pipes to a satin finish to match the cans. Will try to get a picture posted so you can see the end result.

Guest scottd132

I just had the guzzi Ti system installed as well on my 2001V11 sport. I have to agree, it runs great with the Guzzi supplied computer module. The cans are upswept and look great. They are the same set that are on the belgium Playboy V11 special edition.

Problem is I got the bug and want to add a piston kit, valves etc and the mapping on this Ti settup is so good I am afraid of going to a PCIII. Plus there is no dyno center in Seattle.

...I suspect we simply have some acronym mismatching :lol:

The MG Ti system comes with a completely new ECU, and requisite map. It's the same 15M we all have, but it's been remapped for the new pipes.

That's all...

But I have to admit, this is a very strange "package" IMHO. I don't know of any other manufacturer that does this, as the original ECU can be remapped, and most dealers can do so... at least to support just a new set of cans.

I would have thought that MG would have simply provided a map with the cans, and maybe some sort of credit for shop-time at an authorized dealer. In the carb world, the OEM performance exhausts would usually supply jets and needles, i.e. a "map", not the whole carb :lol: It's very odd, and overkill, to send a whole new computer.

Well, good news for you guys that bought the system I guess! :) You've got a new ECU for a steal :P I think at the cheapest these guys are about $1000USD list.

Look at it this way, you either bought some very expensive pipes, and got a free ECU, or bought a cheap ECU and got some free pipes :lol: Either way, you've got a spare ECU(your original) you can now sell that makes the new kit essentially free!

Hey, maybe we've found a loophole?? If you blow your ECU, go buy this pipe set, remap the ECU to your needs, sell the pipes(if you don't like them) and now you've got an ECU for about $500USD :thumbsup:

Or like I mentioned above, buy the whole kit, then sell your old ECU, and you've probably got no more than $200-300 in the new kit.

I wonder how long, if ever, MG will realize this? :rolleyes:

..again, very odd.

al

On that note, it sounds like we'll have some "spare" original ECUs sitting around some people's garages. If you want to sell any of them cheap, let us know. As some of our bikes approach the end of their warranties, it might be nice to have a spare ECU in the garage, especially for those of us that tinker.

Guest scottd132

Good points made. I paid $900 for the set plus tax, first on in my area. I looked at it as; the other set I would have bought was the Mistral (high mount from Agostini) in Ti at $568 Euro plus $50Euro for the special foot rests, then a PCIII for $300 and since there is no Dyno center in Seattle that will work on a Guzzi. I figured this was worth a shot and the quality of the pipes up close is great. As well they use a nice cast bracket to mount the passenger pegs where Mistral's is formed steel bar (from the picture).

I am not sure why the full module change rather than a remap of the stock module other than Guzzi may not have been the ones to manufacture the kit. I beleive the whole thing is vendor supplied to their specs.

Yes, I have a module and cans and mounts with 1000 miles on them and have yet to decide what to do.

This does have limitations as I don't know what other mods I can make without having to change to a PCIII, which then would make my above value equation invalid.

Heck I am still having problems with the bike stalling and missing, accept on acceleration and this has been a problem since I bought it which none of this has corrected.

Scott

Heck I am still having problems with the bike stalling and missing, accept on acceleration and this has been a problem since I bought it which none of this has corrected.  

... IMHO, the only fix for the problems you describe is a shop that can remap the stock ECU on a Dyno and gas analyzer, or alternately insert a PCIII in-line and get a custom map made for it at a Certified Dyno-Center.

Either way, a custom map for your bike is the best solution.

In a perfect world, I would prefer to get the ECU setup perfectly as opposed to piggy-backing with the PCIII , as I like the KISS principle. But that option isn't available to everyone.

The advantage of the PCIII is that a local Dyno-Center is probably easier to find than someone that can remap the 15M well, and you can mix and match maps yourself easily on a PCIII as opposed to the ECU which most "shade-tree" mechanics can't modify.

You may also be able to find a premade map that works well with your setup, that gets it "close enough" as well. Todd Egan at Guzzitech.com is very willing to share his maps with you, even if you didn't buy a PCIII from him. He's got several for the most common combinations of exhaust and intake modifications.

You could easily sell your ECU and stock pipes on eBay and pay for the PCIII, and probably put a good dent in the Dyno/Remap $$ time as well :thumbsup:

BTW, I like the new pipes, but I couldn't sacrifice the passenger pegs(the kit loses them doesn't it?) and raising the height negates my touring options too much.

al

Guest scottd132

Thanks for the info. The Guzzi Ti exhaust does not loose the srock pegs just locates them higher with the new mounts, so you have to find a passenger with a shorter set of legs. Yes not for everyone and I would imagine it would very much hinder touring options. As we all know there are a lot of options for standard location exhaust aftermarket but few high swept designs for us crazy persons.

As fo the PCIII, unfortunatly in Seattle there is no Dyno Tuning center that will work on Guzzi. Oe in Bremerton who does sport bike work but will not return calls or email.

My bike ran perfect from the time I purchased it to the time I took it in for it's 600 mile service and after that it would not idle and missed not on acceleration but constant medium RPM speed.

SInce I did not ride over the winter I blew it off until recently and they found a head temp sensor that was bad, replaced it and corrected the problem dramatically but still there. Changed to the new exhaust and still there. The exhaust came with install instructions that tell the mechanic to set the bike up to 4% CO, which IMHO is rich enough to choke a horse.

I have an appointment to have the pickup in the ignition changed and the bike tuned with a afternoon session. Unfortuanatly it is seat of the pants tuning, but it is Moto International in Seattle who is supposedly known for being good with Guzzi's.

I do wish I had a tuning center, I would consider the FBF piston kit, head work, valves and crossover, but won't go there without the ability to Dyno the bike. My reason for loving the Guzzi is a long list but torque is number one and I will not sacrifice it for revs or top end which all of thos eethings give.

With the Guzzi remapped ECU and exhaust setup using the stock crossover, it pulls harder than stock by a long shot.

Well, good to be here, now to find some folks in Seattle to ride with.

Scott

Thanks for the reply.

$900 is a great deal for mufflers and ECU.

I guess it kinda shows the markup on the stock ECU.... <_>

As far as remapping the stock ECU, I believe the only ways are Ultimap and PCIII.

From what I understood the dealer software can only tweak the overall or idle mixture.

Guest Buddy

Update on the MG Ti exhausts (mufflers). At upto 2000 rpm it is not so much a noise as an earth tremor. My neighbours tell me that they don't hear me start the bike, so much as feel the house shake. I have also found a new use for the bike. Riding round the narrow streets of the local towns, it is great at setting off car alarms, in particular BMW and SAAB.

Hey Buddy

Glad to hear :D you are enjoying the new exhaust are you using a standard xover.I live in a blue rinse area so i will probably have the old bill feeling me collar if my bike makes too much music but i shall be going the new exhaust route soon.

Regards Martin

Tenni 165 :thumbsup::mg:

Guest Buddy

Yes, I am using the standard crossover, which I have polished to a satin finish to match the Ti cans.

Regarding the noise; at low rpm it is not intrusive just very low frequency. For example it is nothing like as bad as a Harley on Screaming Eagles or Vance and Hines, more like a 998 Ducati on Termignoni, but a deeper note than the Ducati.

A friend described it as like the T Rex approaching in the film Jurassic Park. A bit of an exageration, but you get the picture.