Finally Bit The Bullet and Purchased A Lift

Mike Stewart

With side extensions mabe you could utilize the MG service stand, and not require a chock. :huh2:

I still use the factory stand for the rear lift (pivoting it on a polyethylene kitchen "cutting board") and the Sport Chock to stabilize the front. Ride in, get off/ use ratchet straps for heavy work.

eh . . . if'n my wife finds out about the cutting board and I know who to talk to . . . :huh:

DSCN2569.jpg

With side extensions mabe you could utilize the MG service stand, and not require a chock. :huh2:

I uhh... afro engineered.. some kind of rig that did that the last time the Mighty Scura was in for surgery. It utilized C clamps, pieces of engineering plastic I always have laying around, etc.  I still had the front wheel in the Mickey Mouse HF "vise".. and.. tie down straps.

I'm awfully careful when that sucker's in the air..

Just installed a sort of real vise. We'll see how well it works. :)

I can't imagine how awkward it would be to get the V11 on the lift, get off of it (and off of the lift), and clamp the front wheel in a vise while holding the bike upright.  :huh2:

The SportChock is a delight; still requires some *finesse*, but is a one man operation that has the bike stable at the outset.

I can't imagine how awkward it would be to get the V11 on the lift, get off of it (and off of the lift), and clamp the front wheel in a vise while holding the bike upright.  :huh2:

The SportChock is a delight; still requires some *finesse*, but is a one man operation that has the bike stable at the outset.

It's really pretty easy after you've done it a few times. Just push it on to the lift from the left side, hold it up with your right hand, and tighten the vise with your left. It *is* harder to put the rear wheel in. I prefer to have help for that.. but the rear wheel won't go in chocks I've seen.

• Like 1

I don't see any talk as of late discussing bike lifts . Have any of you purchased one or have one you prefer ?

$$$ is not important but I don't want to get something I will regret . Thanks for your input !

I bought a used Harbor Freight one that I found on Craigslist. This was my first time having a lift. As Chuck described, it's possible to load the bike without a helper - but mine had a modified wheel chock (by PO). It's still not a very good one, and I've thinking about installing a proper chock - like Docc has, or just reselling it and buying a nicer one. 

I'm leaning toward upgrading, but I haven't gotten very serious about it yet. I like the idea of a pneumatic lift, because I have a large air compressor.

This Black Widow lift has caught my eye:  http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-lift-tables/p/BW-PROLIFT-HD/?CID=PSC-PLA-Google-BW-PROLIFT-HD-motorcycle-lift-tables&st-t=google-motorcycle-lift-tables&vt-pti=140089367782&vt-k=&vt-m=&CAWELAID=820562990000011465&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=23055664462&CATCI=pla-140089367782&gclid=CjwKEAiAoOvEBRDD25uyu9Lg9ycSJAD0cnByJlXivSEVM3jawgqVo3cC8mgU5fIg-JKg_QaUEDEltBoCFKHw_wcB

That looks to have the "preferred" tire vice. The Harbor Freight vice is really small and only captures the tire at the very bottom while  the Handy vice is a large trapezoidal thing can foul the rotors.

Not sure how cost compares between the "preferred" tire vice and the SportChock, but ooh, I do love my SportChock. (I know . .  . I said that already . . . :rolleyes: )

There is a certain alluring elegance in fotoguzzi's chain falls; like the thrill and fright of watching Romanain girls on trapeze high in the tent . . .

399cde61.jpg

A few weeks ago, a friend stopped by and commented on my Sport parked on the lift with the valves about eye level, "You don't use the stop rod? Isn't that hard on the seals?"

Well . . . . I dunno? :huh2:

I notice the power company parks all its bucket trucks with the booms fully extended. Why do they do that? Am I damaging my hydraulic cylinder with the bike parked at working height? (It has never sagged.)

Doc, I'm not sure about the bucket trucks with there booms but I always use the stop/safety rod when working on the bike or just having it sit there.  I would think it would definitely help take the strain off the hydraulic cylinder/seals, plus the safety factor it provides.

Agreed.

I notice the power company parks all its bucket trucks with the booms fully extended.

(1) Those things are way over engineered. There are people in those buckets.

(2) The employees don't care.

(3) The seals probably aren't made in ..uh.. Oh you know.

I always put the safety bar in and let the pressure off the cylinder. If the seal would catastrophically fail.. not .likely IMHO..you won't see 550 lbs of Guzzi suddenly headed for the floor. :doh:

Thanks, guys. :blush:  A little dose of humility is always better than a broken hand. I'll go back to using the (bent) stop rod. 

I could not imagine going without this lift! :luigi:

The real risk - if you accidentally step on the "down" lever. Stuff starts moving in an unexpected hurry. Voice of experience. :oldgit:

Stop rod = smart = safe.

Another trusted friend shared with me that he was letting his 550 pound bike down on the lift and there was a 5 gallon bucket, out of sight, on the right side. The entire lift, bike mounted, tipped his way pinching the pneumatic lift hose. A cell phone on his person brought assistance as he was right trapped.

So, I ALWAYS visually inspect the right side of the lift before letting down.