Ohlins set up???

dangerous

My bike is due for it's first service soon. I am going to have the dealer help me get the static sag set up for my weight (170 lbs). I highly recommend that you have this done. It made a world of difference on my Aprilia Falco.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok- here are my settings which work well for me- I am 15 stone.

Rear

Compression and rebound standard

Preload- 2 clicks over standard

Front

Compression 2 clicks over standard

Rebound standard

Preload 1 click over standard

Obviously what works for me may not be good for another, depending upon their weight and riding style.

The front preload setting is the one I have taken the longest to come to. On the standard setting the bike felt like it was tucking in too quick in tight bends and mini roundabouts. I then went up two clicks which made the bike feel more surefooted and stable, but seemed to increase understeer. I then went down a click and got the perfect medium.

I found increasing the compression on the front forks reduced braking dive considerably.

Be careful when fiddling with Ohlins- one click either way can make one hell of a difference.

I am sure if you do a search on here there is some good advice about setting up static sag etc.

Guy :helmet:

BUMP... BUMP, cant believe no one here has played with there Ohlins in order to get the bike set up beter, come on who did what to the std settings?

87341[/snapback]

Try a search as there are a number of posts with some info on this, including a couple of recent ones.

It will still be interesting to see a collection of set-up statistics here, though as Baldini says, it will only be a ball-park reference, even if rider weights are fairly similar.

Did you already set sag for your weight?

KB :sun:

87427[/snapback]

sort of..... feels bout right how ever the bike drops very little when my weight goes onto it, but if I reduce the preload... just dosent feel good.

Hey thanks for that, when I get the chance I'll look into it

FWIW I have a sport with the cafe sport Ohlins forks and I way 210# butt naked...a bit more with gear, and I set mine to pre-load maximum, rebound out 18clicks, compression out 20 clicks, sag is 36mm with me on board and 26mm bike only.

I could use a little heavier springs if I were to follow common consensus, but I am ignorantly happy with what it is.

...bike drops very little when my weight goes onto it, but if I reduce the preload... just dosent feel good....

First set sag to between 25-33% from full extended w/ you on bike. Playing with damping settings only masks problem - get the preload/sag sorted first then set damping - it's worth doing it properly if you want the best out of the bike.

How doesn't it feel good? You sure the problem is at the front? What tyres/pressures you got?

KB :sun:

sort of..... feels bout right how ever the bike drops very little when my weight goes onto it, but if I reduce the preload... just dosent feel good.

87646[/snapback]

Preload has almost no effect on how much it drops when your weight goes onto it.

Preload has effects the bike only sag.

Spring weight effects the difference between "bike only sag" and "bike and rider sag".

Following Baldin's excellent advice 30% of 120mm is 36mm, 33% is 40mm and 25% is 30mm, so set a target somewhere in there.

Once you measure the sag with you on it (repeat several time for accuracy and beware of fork stiction) then measure with the bike only.

The difference will tell you if you need a new pair of springs.

Other factors are also important like are you bottoming out or feeling like you are riding in the back of an empty freight truck.

There is no exact magic number, and the ideal numbers will vary by rider weight.

For me, I believe a sag difference of 5-10mm is about right. (I think 8mm would be just about right for my 210#s plus gear)

If you weigh 150# that number should probably be closer to the 5mm, and if you weigh 300# it should probably be closer to the 10mm.

Aggressive riders on rough roads will want a smaller number and tourers will want a bigger number.

You are abit of both, so it is all about compromise.

If if the difference between bike only sag and the addition of rider weight iis too much you need a heavier spring, if it is too little you need a lighter spring, but keep in mind the preload must be able to get you into the 30 to 40 mm range of total sag.

Once you get the spring weight and pre-load set, don't go to the damping just yet.

There is still the air spring effect that is controlled by the fluid level.

Assuming you have the right spring weight and preload, tie a small zip tie around one of the forks and go for a ride to see if it bottoms. Take it over some bad bumps like dips, speed bumps, pot holes and rail road crossings. If it bottoms you may wish to raise the fluid level, but if it does not bottom, you may wish to lower the fluid level.

Once that is taken care of, move on to the damping.

I subscribe to the "just enough" school of damping adjustment which is why my number of clicks out is a bit on the large side.

The guy I bought the forks from used rebound out 17 clicks and compression out 15 clicks, which was more controlled than my 18 and 20 clicks, but I was pursuing more comfort and compliance.

If it feels harsh you may need less compression damping, if it feels out of control you may need more.

If it pogos you need more rebound damping, but only just enough to prevent the pogoing.

Somebody on the forum wrote some great notes on balancing the front to the rear.

I am still trying to figure out the best setting for dealing with the California Interstate concrete superslab freeways that can tear you apart.

That is my 2 cents, others on the list know a lot more than I do about this.

• 2 months later...

I'm slightly confused by which adjustments counterclockwise or clockwise, increase or decrease the settings.

With the set up you've tried;

The front +2 for compression (clockwise)

and +1 for preload (clockwise)?

and for the rear +2 for preload (clockwise)?

I guess I'm getting confused by the hydralic and spring adjusters and

where their respective "0" positions are.

By the way, great information here.

I am looking forward to actually having an understanding of the suspension

and how to adjust it myself!

Thanks in advance

Rear

Compression and rebound standard

Preload- 2 clicks over standard

Front

Compression 2 clicks over standard

Rebound standard

Preload 1 click over standard

Obviously what works for me may not be good for another, depending upon their weight and riding style.

The front preload setting is the one I have taken the longest to come to. On the standard setting the bike felt like it was tucking in too quick in tight bends and mini roundabouts. I then went up two clicks which made the bike feel more surefooted and stable, but seemed to increase understeer. I then went down a click and got the perfect medium.

I found increasing the compression on the front forks reduced braking dive considerably.

Be careful when fiddling with Ohlins- one click either way can make one hell of a difference.

I am sure if you do a search on here there is some good advice about setting up static sag etc.

Guy :helmet:

• 5 years later...

My "New to me" Coppa did not come with manuals and the link provided in the thread doesn't work anymore. Does anyone have the "standard" settings for the suspension so I can start somewhere and tweak?

My static sags are all good but I'm trying to set compression and rebound.

Thanks,

Rick in Kirkland TN