Spean Bridge photos and report

Helen and I set off from Moffat on Friday morning with the intention of attending the V11 and Buell owners weekend at Spean Bridge. As we were riding through the centre of Glasgow I lost the gearchange on my Rosso Corsa. When I pulled over to investigate the cause I noticed that the bracket which the gearshift lever is attached to had broken at the end. I could not fix it with cable ties or wire so I had to call the breakdown truck.

The guy who came was a biker himself and happily was able to weld on a new end piece so 3 hours later we were able to get going again.

Riding up through the Highlands was awesome as ever- if you have never seen the approach to Glencoe while riding a Guzzi you have never lived- just stunning scenery. We arrived at the Spean Bridge hotel at tea time to find out we were the first arrivals. After a long days ride we dumped our gear in the room and headed straight for the bar.

Soon afterwards, Martin turned up, accompanied by Mark from Stirling who has recently bought a nice new Ballabio.

BFG arrived on his Scura a while later, and eventually Chris and Jane who were on a Breva 1100. Unfortunately no Buell riders turned up, maybe put off by the weather.

Over dinner and beer, plans were hatched for the next days ride- Martin was using his time in the Highlands to get some miles in for the Round Britain Rally and was planning to do 700 miles (gulp!). The rest of us planned to ride up to the Applecross peninsular on the North West coast.

It was a bit drizzly when we set off on Saturday morning but we still had some fun, enjoying the mountain scenery and twisty roads. After a stop for tea, the weather cleared and as we approached the Pass Of The Cattle, we saw blue sky ahead.

The road was now dry and we had a good time riding up the pass- it is hard to describe how beautiful this road is- mountains, sea, views over to Skye and some nice turns and switchbacks.

We then had a nice pub lunch next to the sea in the garden of the Applecross Inn. The rest of the UK was getting very wet but it was sunny and dry for us.

We left Applecross by the coast road and had a spirited ride back home, BFG leaving us to do a longer loop.

Martin turned up later that evening, having accomplished his objectives for the RBR but with a puncture.

Helen and I departed at 6.15am and enjoyed totally empty roads through Glencoe all the way to Glasgow. I narrowly missed a deer (having shaved a lamb with my front Pirelli the day before!) and we got piss wet through after Lancaster.

All in all a great weekend. Thanks to Chris and Jane for organsing it! (Chris is the man with the seagull on his head!).

Nice to meet you all and I hope you all got home safely!

Guy :helmet:

SpeanB1.jpg

SpeanB2.jpg

SpeanB3.jpg

I got home ok.

On the way, got pulled over by a couple of cops who were doing some kind of Bike Safe initiative. Once they saw I was on a Guzzi they just wanted to talk about the bike. They did comment on how they heard me coming but thankfully the Guzzi Titanium exhausts have Moto Guzzi in big letters on them, so I'm guessing they assumed they were standard kit. Just as well as it would be a right pain to have to turn up at the the station with the original cans on.

Cheers for the pictures. Only one small observation for you Guy, next time take a close up picture of my bike, which is easy on the eye, as opposed to my face, which is not. Any ladies who disagree, please feel free to get in touch by sending a picture and some brief personal details. It goes without saying that a relaxed moral outlook is a must have requirement :D

I got home ok.

Any ladies who disagree, please feel free to get in touch by sending a picture and some brief personal details. It goes without saying that a relaxed moral outlook is a must have requirement  :D

89838[/snapback]

Apparently Jock Guzzi is willing to pose in his genuine HD leather chaps for any interested forum members who want to get to know him better.

A great weekend, although the weather could be best described as 'mixed' :(.

Saturday's run to Applecross was excellent and the sunshine plus stunning scenery made the day complete. You can put up with any amount of rain when things work out like that. I'll post some pictures when I've got more time - Moto GP beckons...

Thanks to Guy and Helen, Mark, David and Martin for attending and for being such good company. Total bikes were 5 x V11's and 1 x Breva 1100 :mg:.

We arrived home at 4.30 pm after enduring heavy rain and spray on the A1 for 102 miles between Newcastle and Leeds. Hope you all arrived home safely.

BTW having a seagull stood on your head isn't very funny - they're quite heavy you know! :P.

Martin was using his time in the Highlands to get some miles in for the Round Britain Rally and was planning to do 700 miles (gulp!).

89836[/snapback]

Just a half-day for Martin then...maybe he was feeling a bit under the weather :D

Spectacular photos! :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting them! :bier:

I got home ok.

They did comment on how they heard me coming but thankfully the Guzzi Titanium exhausts have Moto Guzzi in big letters on them, so I'm guessing they assumed they were standard kit. Just as well as it would be a right pain to have to turn up at the the station with the original cans on.

89838[/snapback]

I'm curious, you can't change the exhaust from stock over there :!: ? Who made up that silly law? :huh2:

Thanks to Chris for making it possible.

Guy – excellent choice of route for Saturday. Scenery everywhere was, of course, magnificent. In terms of bike riding, I really enjoyed the 'Mint Sauce' section from Applecross. That wee burst was the highlight of the weekend.

Martin – the suggested route back for Sunday was great. Again, superb mountain, sea, island views. The road south from Oban had a brilliant succession of interesting and nadgery bends and hills with a good road surface and the sun shone.

Overall, the road surfaces were much better than I expected / remembered, but I suppose it's about 25 years since I rode around there before.

As I said, thanks for the reason to get over again.

Now it's time to pester Baldini about coming over for the Erin.

Thanks to Chris for making it possible.

I really enjoyed the 'Mint Sauce' section from Applecross. That wee burst was the highlight of the weekend.

89895[/snapback]

Yes I enjoyed that too, despite the gravel and the sheep!

I thought your Quat D system looked and sounded very nice- different too, unlike any other Guzzi exhaust note I have ever heard.

Guy :helmet:

the gravel and the sheep!

Quat D system looked and sounded very nice- different too, unlike any other Guzzi exhaust note I have ever heard.

89938[/snapback]

Yep. Dyno graphs, hp here, torque there...pah! Put your bike on a Scottish single track with turns, dips, rises, gravel and sheep – and see how it goes. Both bikes seemed to run ok to me and I sure enjoyed the sound (different sounds) that both made while they were doing it. :D

Just a few of my favourite pictures of the weekend. The west coast of Scotland has to be one of the most scenic places in Europe and Spean Bridge provides a great base from which to explore most of it. We'll definitely do the same thing next year.

v11f.jpgv11e.jpg

v11d.jpgv11b.jpg

v11c.jpg

My thanks also to Chris for organising this again.

The highlights: the good company, the scenery, the roads and the sunny weather.

The lowpoints: the rain, a puncture; some rain; a laser speed trap :angry: some more rain, a colapsed wheel bearing and a lot more rain.

Some of my pictures

IMG_0051.jpg

Sango bay on the north coast

IMG_0047.jpg

Kylesku bridge

IMG_0055.jpg

Dunnet Head the most northerly point of the mainland

I'll bore you all with a full report later, but my bed calls.