wow are those wheels heavy

Guest drknow

Jap

I got an email from rossopuro about the price of the spoke wheels. I belive it was 1700 euro. They said that the price was not set in stone just yet.  :huh2:

90847[/snapback]

Jaap likes them, I like them, You like them. Do I smell a volume discount? Who else wants a set?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaap likes them, I like them, You like them. Do I smell a volume discount? Who else wants a set?

90915[/snapback]

I'm in! :bier:

I like, I like!!

Even though I'm more of a PVM 10spoke kind of guy.

90942[/snapback]

I can't make up my mind!?!?!??!?!?!?

Back when I had a bike with spokes, I wanted mags.

Now that I have a bike with mags (with what was the rage, three spokes), I want spokes?!?!?!?!?!?!

I love the look of the PVM 20 spokes, but the Alpines may be the ultimate wheels...still neither will likely claim to be as light as the Mavic forged magnesium :food:

A friend is selling a used front OZ off an '04 Mille Factory.

When I weighed it agains a stock wheel, the OZ was only lighter by 1.5-2 pounds (UPS scale with resolution to the half pound).

I was considering putting it on Billy Bob, but that small of a weight savings didn't seem worth the hassle of making spacers and such. Is it?

A friend is selling a used front OZ off an '04 Mille Factory.

When I weighed it agains a stock wheel, the OZ was only lighter by 1.5-2 pounds (UPS scale with resolution to the half pound).

I was considering putting it on Billy Bob, but that small of a weight savings didn't seem worth the hassle of making spacers and such. Is it?

90974[/snapback]

I am surprised it is so little weight savings.

Was that measured with similar brakes on each wheel?

Still I think it is worth the effort, but maybe not the effort and the price of the wheel.

I think a front Oz wheel for our bike is about $800US, I presume without bearings, spacers or rotors.

With that small of a weight savings and the need to re-space everything, I would not give him more than $400US, but it would depend on whether it came with rotors, would the rotors need spacing, and whether the bearing sockets or housings would need re-milling.

90915[/snapback]

I think they look great and am interested but would like to know whether they have cush drive (I do the odd bit of run what you brung drag racing) and also, the weight in comparison to the originals.

I'll drop Rossopuro a line when I'm back from holiday and find out if nobody knows the answer already.

Guy :helmet:

well the front might be not that much lighter, but a big part of the saving is in the rim, that is where the gyroscopic counts. When you have the whole rotating mass, the tyre and ddisks make up a big part of it. But there are no lighter tyres, unless you like em without rubber on them. My pvm was 1.5 kg lighter than the v11 stock wheel. weighted as mounted with disk and spacers.

The latest generation japanese sportbikes has just as light wheels, only they won't fit less easy, and rear is a real problem mounting.

The rsv front won't be that hard to mount, disk mouting is the same, only check center to center distance between disks.

Guest drknow
well the front might be not that much lighter, but a big part of the saving is in the rim, that is where the gyroscopic counts. When you have the whole rotating mass, the tyre and ddisks make up a big part of it. But there are no lighter tyres, unless you like em without rubber on them. My pvm was 1.5 kg lighter than the v11 stock wheel. weighted as mounted with disk and spacers.

The latest generation japanese sportbikes has just as light wheels, only they won't fit less easy, and rear is a real problem mounting.

The rsv front won't be that hard to mount, disk mouting is the same, only check center to center distance between disks.

90995[/snapback]

I'd like to know the weight comparison of the Alpine spokers and the 20 spoke PVM's. I think for me it's down to those two sets.

dk

I'd like to know the weight comparison of

Not to hi-jack a thread, but why not consider the several brands of carbon fiber wheels out there. OK, the rear is probably a "no can do" in carbon, but surely the front can be done as its the same as the Mille. Those BST's sure are sweet when I see them at shows. If magnesium is unreliable for the street, is it the same for carbon fiber too?

Guest drknow

I'd like to know the weight comparison of

Not to hi-jack a thread, but why not consider the several brands of carbon fiber wheels out there. OK, the rear is probably a "no can do" in carbon, but surely the front can be done as its the same as the Mille. Those BST's sure are sweet when I see them at shows. If magnesium is unreliable for the street, is it the same for carbon fiber too?

91197[/snapback]

Because...

We're talking about a V11. I know the CF wheels are lighter, as are the PVM forged magnesium, and other magnesium wheels. I'm looking at weight reduction and also style. Prefer the spoked look, and the 20 spoke PVM's look light a hi-tech spoked wheel...

dk

I think they look great and am interested but would like to know whether they have cush drive (I do the odd bit of run what you brung drag racing) and also, the weight in comparison to the originals.

I'll drop Rossopuro a line when I'm back from holiday and find out if nobody knows the answer already.

Guy  :helmet:

90986[/snapback]

I'd like to know the weight savings as well. Let's follow up on availability with Paolo. (I don't think they've been produced yet) Let him set the price then we'll see how many sales we can give him at once and see if he'll do anything for us.

Guy  :helmet:

90986[/snapback]

I received an E-mail from Paolo this morning. No availability yet as Alpina is concentrating on the major brands before Moto Guzzi. :angry: He'll update the web site as soon as he has more info.

I guess we have to be patient.

My bank balance quivers in fear everytime I read these threads. Ok was looking at a few adds for BST carbon wheels they are claiming they are reliable for the road. Personally I would only go for the aluminium PVM's or OZ's I have the orginal 1100 sport wheels which didn't have a cush drive in the first place there is anothe manufacturer called Gale speed, Japanese I think anyone had anything to do with them? I would still prefere to keep it to the 4.5 inch width the Guzzi output just doesn't need anymore rubber and we are trying to improve the handling here not make it the same. Athough I understand Pauls wheels were custom made so perhaps its possible to get PVM to do a Guzzi 4.5 rear I suppose like everything for a price.

Murray,

Pvm wheels are build from the rim and spokes and an empty center. Depending on the bike they have a different insert in them. Ok this is making things a bit simple, but to give the idea. So I suppose they have a 4.5 rim for 250 bikes, combining this with the guzzi hub should be possible. But if you are serious, you send them a mail. Gale doesn't do guzzi wheels.

Believe me, I have looked at ALL options.