Norge presentation...

KiloSjon

Very interesting read from the Telegraph. I laughed when he mentioned the clanking from the clutch. We all know it's in fact from the straight cut gears of the gearbox which are rattling against each other at idle, a result of the newer Guzzi engine's light flywheel, resulting in the very quick acceleration/deceleration of the engine at idle. Oh well, some things never change.

Further thoughts on this layout had me thinking about the vibration damage issues this new model may suffer. 1150cc, 4 valves, 95 hp, etc, has me thinking that more than ever Guzzi may be replacing cracked plastic panels under warranty. I'm hoping engineers have isolated either engine from frame, or plastic from metal properly. There is alot of square footage of plastic compared to a V11, or even a Lemans. I still remember the day I had my V11 starter cover plastic break in half and hit an oncoming car, vibration induces failure, replaced under warranty. This kind of problem if left ignored, will do little restore Moto Guzzi's financial picture.

Ciao, Steve G.

91700[/snapback]

Yes, in a touring bike this is sure to be an issue. They haven't done one of these in years and i imagine Steve is right, it'll rattle itself apart if it does the kind of mileage some of the touring couples (and guzzi riders!) generally like to do.

I would bet you will see many teething issues on this model that Guzzi itself is unaware of.........let this one go and buy a plain vanilla Breva 1100 and attach whatever else you need to tour it comfortably.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess it is needed to make sure it sells, but the video could also feature a RT... What do you think?

91540[/snapback]

It is the kind of cliche video most people want to see before they buy a bike like this......= Boring.

I saw a Norge in the flesh at the Boxmeer rally- I guess its ok if you like that sort of thing but looking at the UK list prices I can see these being discounted heavily after the initial rush of enthusiasm.

Looks like an expensive bike to damage if you dropped it.

Hope it does well for the sake of MG.

Guy :helmet:

Guest parvo

As much as i like the idea of a touring Guzzi, I would never buy one (unless it was HEAVILY discounted.) Why? Because in the U.S. their dealer network sucks. Do I really want a touring bike that I can't take out of state due to so few dealers. I can't imagine what you'd do if it stranded you hundreds of miles from a dealer.

Also, if something does break. How long do I have to wait for the part to be shipped from Italy?

Plus you guys are right, it looks like a BMW.

Stopped off in Calagari, Sardenia and while I did not get to see the Norge in person, the dealer gave me a nifty Norge poster with all the '06's on the back. Came in a cardboard sleeve an old LP. k

1) The Norge is a two-valver, like the other V11s.

92632[/snapback]

I was thinking "V11" is a motor designation. Doesn't the new Brayva-Greetzo-Norgay motor have a different designation?

Here a video of the introduction of the Norge. The beginning I like, but then it becomes a bit like BMW-style. Guess it is needed to make sure it sells, but the video could also feature a RT... What do you think?

91540[/snapback]

I don't care about marketing videos, tho I didn't find that too bad--except for the noise ... uhm ... "music," but can excuse that as I doubt (indeed, pray) I am not the intended market.

At (almost) 59, not sure how many new m/c's are in my future, but suspect that a Norge or a gussied-up Breva 1100 is. Don't care for the style items others here have already objected to (e.g., lights), but, hey, they didn't ask me. I only hope they DID ask some 20-40-somethings.

Regards from Atlanta,

Bill

you're a loyal customer, Bill. I'm thinking the Breva variants are mighty better than what I got now, except it does nothing for me at all in the way it looks.......

Now I'm thinking that THIS BEAUTY is the next bike in my future.........

Give it a nice small screen, upgrade the pipes, nice ohlins on the rear and I'm ready to rock. That's the greatest engine (the desmo twin spark 1000) that's around right now, and a worthy successor to the V11 engine.........plain torquey and beautiful. It's been offered in the Multistrada (UGLY) and a monster variant (which I never fit on). This one looks like the one..........

Waiting for a test drive................

I dunno, I can dig it...more displacement is always a good thing, and it looks Guzzi enough to where I think it'd get the same response the Tenni does: "What's a Moto Gooozi? Is it fast?" :)

Would I spend the money? Who's to say? The list of bikes I have to own before I die is mighty long as is, but it would definitley oust the Beemer for my touring choice. (Now if I could only talk myself out of that damn FJ1300!)

I am happy to see anything new from MG, and it looks like a good bike that many in the Sport Touring community would love :thumbsup:

It's not my cup of tea... engine all covered up and all... but it seems like a nice bike.

I've said it before and I'll say it again though, it looks just waaaaay like an FJR.

Al

Yes, in a touring bike this is sure to be an issue.  They haven't done one of these in years and i imagine Steve is right, it'll rattle itself apart if it does the kind of mileage some of the touring couples (and guzzi riders!) generally like to do.

I would bet you will see many teething issues on this model that Guzzi itself is unaware of.........let this one go and buy a plain vanilla Breva 1100 and attach whatever else you need to tour it comfortably.

91835[/snapback]

The way the Griso and Breva run they would be lucky to rattle a house of cards apart thats sitting on the tank. I don't see why the norge will be anydifferent. They have messed with the bore and strke ratio to address the vibration which has been pretty sucessful IMO.

The Norge is the first bike in over 30 years of riding that I have said (repeatedly) "THAT is my next bike!!!" or "That bike is me." It may even turn out to be the first bike I buy that I do absolutely NOTHING to, and just ride it. All of the bikes I own and have owned, on first glance, I liked them, but also immediately started thinking of things to change, mostly for comfort. I can't wait (well I guess I have to) till these make it to the USA.

Not a big fan of the video, but after viewing, Janet stated that the next bike must be more comfortable than the Le Mans, so we're going to give the Norge a hard look when it hits the US......forestalling the purchase of a Rxx00RT, or FJR1300, or R1200GS, or 950 Adventure, or ? for touring.

There's so many good bikes out today, it really comes down to what flavor one likes at the time of purchase. Hard to believe how many of us traveled far, far, distances on CB360's and the like. :2c:

Not a big fan of the video, but after viewing, Janet stated that the next bike must be more comfortable than the Le Mans, so we're going to give the Norge a hard look when it hits the US......forestalling the purchase of a Rxx00RT, or FJR1300, or R1200GS, or 950 Adventure, or ? for touring.

There's so many good bikes out today, it really comes down to what flavor one likes at the time of purchase. Hard to believe how many of us traveled far, far, distances on CB360's and the like.  :2c:

94226[/snapback]

there are a ton of good bikes out today, that if a lot of them were out 20 years ago they would be heralded as the best bike ever, I'm glad I'm not old enough to have ridden around on these cb360's you speak of :lol:

I can't make up my mind at all, its crazy how many good options are available depending on what youre looking for, buell, ktm, ducati, bmw, triumph, and of coarse guzzi. Anyone think a Griso 850 would make a good touring bike? in the same way a harley street bob would :huh2::mg: