I'm not much a beer fan, in fact, I rarely drink the stuff. I'm more of a martini guy. 2 martinis and you're set :sun:

However, I did have a beer once while in Freiburg, Germany that was delicious. I think it was Czech beer but I'm not sure. Anyways...it had some yeast in the bottom of the bottle. I don't know if you were supposed to stir it up or leave it settled on bottom.

In any case, it was excellent, like the proverbial liquid bread :)

92153[/snapback]

That is a bottle conditioned beer, or bottle carbonated beer. Bottled just before fermentation is complete, the final fermentation makes pressure build up to the correct degree to give the liquid that all important head in the glass. Again as with the varying degrees of favouritism out there, serving/pouring this beer can be done including the yeast deposit in the glass, or avoiding it. Generally regarded practice is to avoid disturbing the yeast during the pour, giving the beer that should be clear, clear. The best way to do this is to put the bottle in the fridge for a few days, where the yeast will solidify to a certain extent, so when pouring it will be less disturbed. Some beers are known to be served cloudy, but this yeast should be avoided as well, as sensitive taste buds can taste the dormant yeast, and this may not be the flavour the brewmaster had planned.

Ciao, Steve G.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack
Any of you guys ever try any of Rogue's brews?

Dead Guy Ale -  :P:

Dead_Guy_Ale.gif

Yep. Rogue Dead Guy - One o' my all-time fave's! :thumbsup:

:bier:

Better than bottles is to go "get our milk right from the cow."

In Seattle, it is tradition to go right to your favorite brewery, and take home "growlers" (half-gallon bottles) drawn straight from the barrels.

I'm a hop-head, and this is the best IPA I've ever tasted:

PICT0046.jpg

Diamond Knot IPA, from Mukilteo, Washington. Hoppy, fruity, and delicate. Get it directly from the brewery, keep it cold, and drink the whole thing in one sitting. It's as Seattle as Soundgarden, alder-smoked salmon, and the Space Needle . . .

Guest ratchethack
Diamond Knot IPA, . . . alder-smoked salmon. . . .

Stop it, Greg - y'er killin' me. . . . Now I'm gonna hafta stop by Trader Joe's. . . :P:

:D

In Seattle, it is tradition to go right to your favorite brewery, and take home "growlers" (half-gallon bottles) drawn straight from the barrels.

PICT0046.jpg

Diamond Knot IPA, from Mukilteo, Washington. Hoppy, fruity, and delicate. Get it directly from the brewery, keep it cold, and drink the whole thing in one sitting. It's as Seattle as Soundgarden, alder-smoked salmon, and the Space Needle . . .

92346[/snapback]

Can this stuff be successfully shipped cross country? :bier:

"Thirsty days hath September, April, June and November.

All the rest are thirsty too,

Except for him who hath Home Brew"

That is a bottle conditioned beer, or bottle carbonated beer. Bottled just before fermentation is complete, the final fermentation makes pressure build up to the correct degree to give the liquid that all important head in the glass. Again as with the varying degrees of favouritism out there, serving/pouring this beer can be done including the yeast deposit in the glass, or avoiding it. Generally regarded practice is to avoid disturbing the yeast during the pour, giving the beer that should be clear, clear. The best way to do this is to put the bottle in the fridge for a few days, where the yeast will solidify to a certain extent, so when pouring it will be less disturbed. Some beers are known to be served cloudy, but this yeast should be avoided as well, as sensitive taste buds can taste the dormant yeast, and this may not be the flavour the brewmaster had planned.

Ciao, Steve G.

92334[/snapback]

I have had barrel conditioned beer in England and was even allowed to participate in opening a barrel - quite an event. It makes every barrel unique as the many pubs have a slightly different way of conditioning and opening the barrel.

I used to brew at home when I lived up in Illinois..... with all that free time during the 6 months of winter.....but living down south with year round riding and the fact that theres an easier way to drink quality beer....I hit the local beer store!...Maisel Weise, Franziskaner, Pilsner Urquell, New Castle...among many others too choose from. Give me a good German wheat beer.....a bock......a true pilsner.....anything!!! Mouth is watering now that I think about them all....and here I sit at the keyboard swilling "Liquid Filth" Busch!!! :grin:

PICT0046.jpg

92346[/snapback]

You're right Greg, DK IPA is very nice. I've got two growlers, one for when I'm in Bellingham, Wash. [boundary Bay Brewery], and one that rock/blues guy Colin James has here @ Central City Brewing. The samplings at Boundary Bay are ten fold better I'm afraid.

It is true that most delicate beers don't travel well, or don't have a long [best time]. Ironically, this is how India Pale Ale became a form of beer in it's own right. During the conquest of India, the 'old country' sent ale overseas by ship to feed the lads, and found the addition of large quantities of hops, [a natural preservative], the ale was much more palatable, and the hops were able to hide some of the flavour variances of ship life across the seas.

As growlers are filled up from a Co2 tap, English Beer Engine, or otherwise, it is subjected to the atmosphere, and components in the atmosphere lend themselves to very short beer palate quality, as in hours. A growler must be consumed within 24 hrs, or you'd almost be better off buying "Budpiss" instead, almost!

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest ratchethack

Steve, your contributions here are MUCH appreciated. :notworthy:

Quite civilized. ^_^

I'll have you know that you've SHAMED ME into a quest for stocking up on higher-caliber swill...... :blush:

Steve, your contributions here are MUCH appreciated. :notworthy:

Quite civilized. ^_^

I'll have you know that you've SHAMED ME into a quest for stocking up on higher-caliber swill...... :blush:

92409[/snapback]

It's the least we can all do for ourselves. Just as some are quite happy with hamburger, I think we all owe it to ourselves to substute that for tenderloin on those occasions when a hankering for beef happens. :food:

Ciao, Steve G.