Top Posters In This Topic

I can recommend, and have extensively tested:

Tmothy Taylors Landlors- a strong hoppy IPA brewed locally in Keighley

landlord.jpg

Black Sheep Bitter- another Yorkshire ale. Tasty but not too strong

cask_bitter.jpg

Gales HSB- a reasonably strong very tasty bitter brewed in Hampshire

724.jpg

Deuchars IPA- a very light IPA brewed in Scotland. Great for lunch hours.

deuch.JPG

Ringwood Old Thumper- a strong dark ale ideal for finishing the evening with.

614.jpg

Empire Longbow- a local ale brewed here in Huddersfield. I know the guy who brews it because he used to be the landlord of the local boozer.

Its very light, hoppy and quite strong. No picture on the web because he is a very small business. Golden in colour.

Looking forward to tasting some the US beers mentioned in this thread next month.

I am happy to lead any forum members visiting these parts on a pub crawl around Huddersfield so you can sample the local hospitality.

Guy :bier:

I can recommend, and have extensively tested:

Tmothy Taylors Landlors- a strong hoppy IPA brewed locally in Keighley

landlord.jpg

Black Sheep Bitter- another Yorkshire ale. Tasty but not too strong

cask_bitter.jpg

Gales HSB- a reasonably strong very tasty bitter brewed in Hampshire

724.jpg

Deuchars IPA- a very light IPA brewed in Scotland. Great for lunch hours.

deuch.JPG

Ringwood Old Thumper- a strong dark ale ideal for finishing the evening with.

614.jpg

Empire Longbow- a local ale brewed here in Huddersfield. I know the guy who brews it because he used to be the landlord of the local boozer.

Its very light, hoppy and quite strong. No picture on the web because he is a very small business. Golden in colour.

Looking forward to tasting some the US beers mentioned in this thread next month.

I am happy to lead any forum members visiting these parts on a pub crawl around Huddersfield so you can sample the local hospitality.

Guy  :bier:

92957[/snapback]

Sign me up!!!

Ciao, Steve G.

I once lost the tach drive on my 70 triumph. Pulled into a buddy's to try to fix the spewing oil so I could get her home.

We popped a bottle of Chimay and I used the cork to stop the leak. After riding it like that for a while (lost the tach drive couldn't find another) I got to liking it and it was working just fine. So I safety wired the cork to a push rod tube (so if it fell out on a ride, I'd still have it - never did fall out) and drove it like that for several years. You could always tell the beer connesieurs in the gawkers as they'd always comment on the fact that a Chimay cork had been used. :P

Good times, good beer. :bier:

Rj

One of my favorites: Terrible :wub:

13815.jpg

However, I'm still a sucker for the cheap stuff. Pabst recently changed their formula (again) and it has improved quite a bit.

One of my all time favorites was Lucky Lager, which came in the 11oz stubbies and had cool little puzzles under the caps. Not sure if its being brewed anymore though...

Guest ratchethack
However, I'm still a sucker for the cheap stuff.  Pabst recently changed their formula (again) and it has improved quite a bit.

One of my all time favorites was Lucky Lager, which came in the 11oz stubbies and had cool little puzzles under the caps.  Not sure if its being brewed anymore though...

Hmmmmmmmmm. . . . . . . PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon) was among my top choices as a poor student. . . . . Not bad for a "rice beer". . . . No offense, but everybody I knew back then passed on Lucky Lager. It was known as "Skunk Beer". And when PBR's are your choice, that's a REALLY NASTY put-down. :P

I'll hafta check the "new & improved" PBR. One of the most underrated "Cheap Rice Beers" of my youth was Blatz. I found it a few years ago after thinking it had gone the way of the Dodo 30 years back -- Once again, Not bad. . .the memories came flooding back. . . . :drink:

One of my favorites: Terrible  :wub:

13815.jpg

However, I'm still a sucker for the cheap stuff.  Pabst recently changed their formula (again) and it has improved quite a bit.

One of my all time favorites was Lucky Lager, which came in the 11oz stubbies and had cool little puzzles under the caps.  Not sure if its being brewed anymore though...

93057[/snapback]

I have never met a beer I wouldn't drink even if it wasn't the best stuff until I bought and uncorked a bottle of this stuff :vomit: So that's why they call it terrible! Because it is. Memo to self: don't buy beer from the french canadians. They better stick to maple syrup.

I have never met a beer I wouldn't drink even if it wasn't the best stuff until I bought and uncorked a bottle of this stuff :vomit:  So that's why they call it terrible!  Because it is.  Memo to self:  don't buy beer from the french canadians.  They better stick to maple syrup.

93081[/snapback]

I have to agree with you Zoltan. I've never sampled a palatable beer out of Quebec. Only thing they're good at is collecting welfare cheques. It's just weird tasting stuff to my taste. The wired shut cork does not mean a good beer, just as a good tv commercial doesn't as well. I used to love the old Kokanee lager commercials with the sasquatch running around the ski slopes peeking at sun bathing bikinis. The beer was and still is pitifull swill. My mom likes it though, so I keep 1/2 dozen on hand for when she wants to garden in my back yard.

Ciao, Steve G.

For anyone who wants to get some of the best IPA, right from the source, a few Guzzi whack-toids and I will be meeting at the Diamond Knot Brewery in Mukilteo, Washington tomorrow evening. Join us if you'd like to . . . I'm emptying the saddlebags to fill with a few growlers of fresh DK IPA.

For anyone who wants to get some of the best IPA, right from the source, a few Guzzi whack-toids and I will be meeting at the Diamond Knot Brewery in Mukilteo, Washington tomorrow evening. Join us if you'd like to . . . I'm emptying the saddlebags to fill with a few growlers of fresh DK IPA.

93547[/snapback]

Lucky dog you!

I won't make it. Thursday afternoon you will find me ATVing on the dunes at Florence Oregon. I leave my place @ 3:30am. a group of up to 10 of us will be on the road for 1 1/2 wks, doing Northern California and over to eastern Oregon.

I will be sampling many IPA's in these regions. I will toast one with you Greg, just 300miles south.

Ciao, Steve G.

I just watched a TV advert for Fat Tire beer from Belgium. It featured a couple of bicyclists but I really enjoyed the closing lines. Something about everyone has a folly - ours is beer!! Well I just had to go to the garage and open another Old Yale Pale Ale!!

If I can ever find this ad on video I will post it!!