• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The peaty malt for 'The Ride' didn't last and had to be supplemented by The MacAllen.

The Sport was so trashed from riding in the mountains that a fifth of La Phroig and some Aberlour had to be applied to bring her back into her spectacularness. :drink:

Laphroig will tarnish your injectors...Good stuff, though.

I am working on a bottle of Talisker right now.

Oh- I have a bottle of some McAllen that's "oak cask" something or other- pretty good stuff.

Hey all you Scottish-type people- I am always up for suggestions on new Whiskys.

Laphroig will tarnish your injectors...Good stuff, though.

I am working on a bottle of Talisker right now.

Oh- I have a bottle of some McAllen that's "oak cask" something or other- pretty good stuff.

Hey all you Scottish-type people- I am always up for suggestions on new Whiskys.

Well, I'm a Scottish-type, as in Ulster Scots...

img_introduction.jpg

There was a wee programme on tv about the oak tree, a couple of days ago. It finished with illustration of the difference that oak (casks) makes over a period of 25 years. The whisky man had bottles that ranged from brand new whiskey that was just clear alcohol and tasted rotten; then through increments of age with increasing colour and flavours; finishing with 25 year brown stuff that was apparently most flavoursome. BTW, sorry about all the funny spellings here abouts – you Mericans (extra 'u's) and Scots Scots (extra 'e's).

"Probably the most memorable bit has to have been looking at how whisky is made," [treeman] laughs. "I mean, I love whisky and going up to the Glenlivet distillery in the Highlands and seeing how whisky needs the oak tree to be called 'whisky' was quite an eye-opener. It has to remain in a cask for at least three years – but, obviously, the longer the better. With a nice, 20-year-old malt, you can really taste the oak!"

Check here, if you are old enough:

www.theglenlivet.com

Thirsty?

Back in Bushmills, there will soon be celebrations of 400 years. Want to come over?

"The County Antrim village of Bushmills has a long and illustrious history of whiskey production. Stories tell us that the troops of King Henry II of England were more than happy to discover the unique taste of Irish whiskey. Unable to pronounce the Gaelic “Uisce Beatha” (Water of Life), they shortened it to “Uisce” and finally to whiskey.

In 1608, the first licence to distil whiskey was granted by King James I for the region which is now County Antrim. The Irish spirit soon became a favourite among the revellers of British King James's court. In 1784, the Bushmills distillery became an officially registered company.

From the 1740s to 1910 Irish emigrants to the USA spread their taste for Bushmills overseas. During these years the Bushmills whiskeys scored outstanding successes at international spirit and whiskey competitions." Want to come over in 2008 and tarnish your injectors? I can lend you a LM111 and a gutter to roll in. You and Guzzirider (or should that be Guzzlerider?).

www.bushmills.com

Ahh, this is a subject I can get my teeth into, as a former member of the now defunct Scotch conneseurs assoc of Canada. Just looking through my selection presently, for the uneducated palate, Grants, Teachers and Famous Grouse. For visitors who wish to learn single malt, Aberlour 10, Singleton 10, and Auchentoshan 12. For visitors wishing a special time, I offer Macallan 20, and my current favourite, Balvenie Doublewood 20.

While not a scotch, I must offer a strong recommendation, a must in anyones selection. Red Breast single pot malt whiskey from Ireland. Absolutely Brilliant!!

Ciao, Steve G.

If you like a peat whisky like Laphroig try also Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Bowmore 12 yrs, Bunnanabin. Clean Speysides, MacAllan, Glenmorangie. Springbank of any type is also worth a good sniff. As for Grouse, Teachers, and Grants we refer to these in Scotland as ' Cooking Whisky' a bit like cheep wine.

If you like a peat whisky like Laphroig try also Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Bowmore 12 yrs, Bunnanabin. Clean Speysides, MacAllan, Glenmorangie. Springbank of any type is also worth a good sniff. As for Grouse, Teachers, and Grants we refer to these in Scotland as ' Cooking Whisky' a bit like cheep wine.

I agree with your comments regarding blends. I have found I must have these available just the same, as I find myself grinding 1/8" off of my teeth when someone wants to put anything but cold water with their single malt. As for the peaty malts, I now tend to shy away from them, for an odd reason. 7 yrs ago, my sister/brother-in-laws house was damaged by fire, and through wks of restoration, the smell, and in turn taste of anything 'smoky' got to me. I had to give my Laphroig away. My tastes have now turned to the Speyside region.

Ciao, Steve G.

BTW, sorry about all the funny spellings here abouts – you Mericans (extra 'u's) and Scots Scots (extra 'e's).

So what are you saying? We 'Mericans drink like Wussky's? :)

Thanks for the comments. I'm really enjoying this. I can't say I have a strong preference or aversion for a particular style yet. Fortunately, I like them all. Haven't tried Speyside, so I'll give it a go. Never heard of Red Breast, so I'll ask my Somallier about getting it.

When I was at CalTech, my wonderful, beautiful wife bought me an entrance to a Scotch tutorial and tasting hosted by a representative from Balvenie. There were different ages, different woods (the Madeira casket aged whisky was different and quite good), etc. A real fun time was had, I think.