I'll ask my Somallier about getting it.

You mean, butler? I know you're not posh enough to call your serf a sommelier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lagavulin is my all time favorite but has become largely unavailable here. Something about the Scots drinking it all up. (Could it be? :o )

Aberlour makes a variant called "A'banagh" which has fabulous body and color. Not to mention a higher proof.

The peaty, smokey malts some how remind me of the smell of gear oil and that eye-watering intensity of a Guzzi twin running just too rich. :drink:

You mean, butler? I know you're not posh enough to call your serf a sommelier.

Thanks- I should have checked my speling.

Also interesting- Speyside is about half the cost of Lagavulin, Laphroig, etc... I'll have to give it a trie.

That can't be the write speeling, surely?

I'm just back from cracking the gunsafe to whup-up another dram ( highly mixed metaphors) of LAPHROAIG .

Something about the vision after a dram or two may have affected my perception of the spelling. :wacko:

Some of the smoother Scotches like Highland Park from Orkney or 15 year old The MacAllan are just too easy for me to drink. I'd like to think the smokey-chokey Laphroaig slows me down a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Fond of whiskey, but rather unschooled. 1 st generation Irish-American so gravitate towards the Irish, naturally. Can't stand Bushmills, like Jamesons.

Have tried Glenlivet, didn't like it, but liked Glennfiddich. Have been told that neither is very good, though.

Will try to banish from my mind the vision of Scots standing above open vats of single malt in kilts and stirring away. (I know some of them must pee when they cough.) -_-

What's a good beginners entrance into the murky world of single-malt scotch?

Oh, I'm half German, too, that makes me a very precise drunk. :P

fish

Fond of whiskey, but rather unschooled. 1 st generation Irish-American so gravitate towards the Irish, naturally. Can't stand Bushmills, like Jamesons.

Have tried Glenlivet, didn't like it, but liked Glennfiddich. Have been told that neither is very good, though.

Will try to banish from my mind the vision of Scots standing above open vats of single malt in kilts and stirring away. (I know some of them must pee when they cough.) -_-

What's a good beginners entrance into the murky world of single-malt scotch?

Oh, I'm half German, too, that makes me a very precise drunk. :P

fish

Your Irish, so you should get a sampling of the Irish single malt from Red Breast. Simply lovely and smooth.

Ciao, Steve