1200s at a dealer in pescara

Paul Minnaert

The 1200 Sport is now on the front page of motguzzi.it The write up mentions the availability of a dedicated racing kit. Keen observers will note that the fork tubes have a slick black anti-friction coating on them.....

1200sportZ.jpg

Curious about the forks. Moved away from USD which is now derigeur on sporty motorcycles I think this year saw them on all the big 4's and Triumph. But have gone for wavy disks but not radial calipers. A curious mix of Bling and Non Bling. Not that I could tell the difference in riding :blush:

Seems are staying with the modular format. Take the Breva , add a version of the 1200 engine, a few cycle parts and different seat - New Model created - not too different from the V11 series

Perhaps it won't be too difficult to change the tankside trim and headlight mounting to have a proper 1/2 fairing ala our Lemans That I'd be really intrested in. I quite like this 1200S . Perhaps they've been looking at what BMW have been doing and following suit ie base; S; RS; RT & GT models you never know even a GS?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grief. That's one big disappointment – aesthetically. MG need to have a look at a couple of the recent threads in this 24/7 forum to get a bit of inspiration, not in The Potatoe Growers' Catalogue.

The board wouldn't allow me to post enough exclamation marks in the following quote (You have posted a message with more emoticons that this board allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message – it said)

"A true show of class does more than just turn heads.

Moto Guzzi shows its sporting soul in its newest naked. This evolved form of the 90° twin cylinder 1200 features new solutions in its design and chassis while giving a new meaning to rider comfort.

Just one look at it tells you that it will soon become a cult item :!: for real enthusiasts.

The graphics are the same as on competition models, the stylish front discs and the carbon fibre effect :!: exhaust that suggest speed give an immediate impression of the 1200 Sport’s character :!:. The attention to detail is typically Italian and its Moto Guzzi DNA and high-tech injection system make it one of those machines that is best appreciated from the saddle. From here too, its patented handling system :!: can only truly be felt – a perfect blend of incredible performance :!: :!: and the sheer pleasure of riding. Feelings like this can only be experienced aboard a Moto Guzzi and this new model now takes in touring with its high levels of comfort and handling. Like all Moto Guzzi, this machine faithfully follows its rider :!: , it indulges his whims with a spirit that has been guiding it for the past 85 years and has never been stronger. For those of you that would like to have even more performance, Moto Guzzi has designed a dedicated racing kit and for others that would prefer an extra safety margin regardless of the type of road surface, ABS is now an option. There is something to offer everybody a taste of the real feelings that you can only find on a motorcycle - with an eagle on the tank."

:rolleyes::huh2:

Perhaps they've been looking at what BMW have been doing and following suit ie base; S; RS; RT & GT models you never know even a GS?

Didn't they say that the new 1200S would give the BMW 1200 a good and proper hiding? I don't think that I'd back this MG in a boxing match.

you're right, its just a spruced up breva.

IMO this is how Breva should look in the first place.The Norge is a tourer , therefore with higher steering handles and so on , and the griso is what it its, but in anyway I would say that this is close to the class that Griso is targeted for, so no big difference really.

P.S. Edit

Didn't they say that the new 1200S would give the BMW 1200 a good and proper hiding? I don't think that I'd back this MG in a boxing match.

Well a series production MGS could do that (even with a couple of less PS due to Euro specs)

.... Marketing bollocks....The bit that gave it away was the attention to detail :D

I've not seen an indicated 130mph on my V11 it runs out at 125, But it has ample performance where I normal use it sub 90. I have seen an old GSX1100R bugger off into the distance on aceleration from the lights. But thats not what it's all about. Yes it will give "ultimate" performance away to the BMWs. We've all looked beyond the figures on the magazine test reports otherwise we wouldn't be here. The new owners will (have to) do the same.

...how Breva should look in the first place.The Norge is a tourer... the griso is what it is...so no big difference really.

Yeah, it seems like Guzzi's demographic targeting shakes down something like this:

Breva750/Nevada: 30/40-something women on a budget

MGS-01: 30/40-something enthusiasts with a lot of money to spend

Griso: 30/40-something enthusiasts with a little money to spend

1200S: 40/50-something semi-enthusiasts with a little money to spend

Breva/CalClassic: 40/50/60-somethings on a budget (Breva for semi-enthusiasts)

Norge/CalVintage/CalTouring: 50/60-somethings with good money to spend (Norge for semi-enthusiasts)

It'll be interesting to see what turns up at gatherings (and in whose hands) in five years.

What is 30/40 and so on? Well I would substitute the ''little' with ''some'' 12K Euros (or around ) isn't little money for a bike....heh-.

I've not seen an indicated 130mph on my V11 it runs out at 125, But it has ample performance where I normal use it sub 90.

Quite strange,just for the record, I have seen a 220+ indicated on my 'chiped' 1100i Sport Corsa at 7200rpm and a 5-6 more at 7500 , never tried above those RPm though I have progemmed it to go.Measured at it's faults , at 180kmh (5950RPM) indicated I get 176-78 on GPS

Aerodynamic must play it's role here (as well) I suppose.

What is 30/40 and so on? Well I would substitute the ''little' with ''some'' 12K Euros (or around ) isn't little money for a bike....heh-.

Age, as in "she's thirty something, and still pretty easy on the eyes."

what constitutes "a little money" is relative, I suppose.

Quite strange,just for the record, I have seen a 220+ indicated on my 'chiped' 1100i Sport Corsa at 7200rpm and a 5-6 more at 7500 , never tried above those RPm though I have progemmed it to go.Measured at it's faults , at 180kmh (5950RPM) indicated I get 176-78 on GPS

Aerodynamic must play it's role here (as well) I suppose.

I had an indicated 140mph uphill on the autobahn which turned out to be 129mph on the GPS. My V11 maxxed out at 141mph on the dyno.

With regards to this 1200 Sport, it looks tidy enough but I am not going to swap my sexy V11 for one. Forks look cheap, and the wavy discs chavvy. Bet the motor is strangled to buggery to make it Euro 3 compliant.

If it is to sell well, Guzzi need to price it correctly and not pretend its something that it isn't i.e. a sports bike. It is a basic roadster.

If this is the "sports" bike that the factory insiders have been allegedly talking about, then many will be disappointed.

Guy :helmet:

anyone need a testie?

I think the designers at Guzzi need some balls! I thought Italian designers were meant to be brave and cutting edge. At the moment it is oh so predictable (Griso excepted)- maybe budgetry constraints are directing the flow, but this is the country of Tamburini, Carcano and Tonti.

I notice that successful ex Ducati designer Galuzzi has joined Aprilia- wonder if he will be working on any Mandello projects?

Come on Guzzi- make your bikes sexy again!!

I had an indicated 140mph uphill on the autobahn which turned out to be 129mph on the GPS. My V11 maxxed out at 141mph on the dyno.

If it is to sell well, Guzzi need to price it correctly and not pretend its something that it isn't i.e. a sports bike. It is a basic roadster.

If this is the "sports" bike that the factory insiders have been allegedly talking about, then many will be disappointed.

Yep it all are about the same, I have to point out that after chipping mine (still on the progress)The acceleration now compared with before is 'bitching'.I don't do street race but yesterday was at the traffic light in the night and started normally beside me a FZ 600 that started to race I let him go 30 (aprox)meters ahed (cause I started normaly) but then I went pedal to the metal , when reached 210kmh at about 7000RPM he was already, left behind about (estimated)80+++ meters.He didn't want to race the next trafic light.

Have learned a lot about programming-chiping my bike,taking data of the diagnostic on different loads and driving and then programm- transfer the maps I want (guided also by my AFR dial) to the chip and that shows (more , or less)

Yep that's a roadster thing.

A) No this isn't the sports bike they were talking about. There is a point of making an MGS style bike for the street

B)There is also a thought of developing a 3 cylinder motor.(yes a thought don't make it a rummor pls. and no It wouldn't be ineresting for me anything else in a Guzzi than a 2V thing))

and

C) There is planned something 'spectacular' (spetacollo) to be presented in 2008.

That's all I can say.I have no made these up my mind but sourses are from Mandello direct but nothing is finnal and sure at this point, right?. :huh2:

The way it seems to me is that Guzzi will start up presenting some 'new' models every now and then and in between something more dofferend or specials. No way to have a so 'sterile' model line as in the last 6 years or so.

So probably after some good 'Brunello di Montalcino ' and some inspiration there will come a designer to give us a new sexier model and so on.

Age, as in "she's thirty something, and still pretty easy on the eyes."

what constitutes "a little money" is relative, I suppose.

I meant it to be in the analogy , when the Vintage Calli is around 15k and is ''good money' , then 12K is quite ''some money''. :glare:

... I meant it to be in the analogy , when the Vintage Calli is around 15k and is ''good money' , then 12K is quite ''some money''. :glare:

when I wrote "a little money," the implication was "some money" without writing "some money."

to be more direct:

"a little money" $11-14K

"good money" $15-18K

"a lot of money" $20K+

that work for ya? :ph34r:

when I wrote "a little money," the implication was "some money" without writing "some money."

to be more direct:

"a little money" $11-14K

"good money" $15-18K

"a lot of money" $20K+

that work for ya? :ph34r:

It works anyway. I understood what you wrote , OK.