Confession Thread

Guest Nogbad

Guest Nogbad

I don't know whether it's because it's been the riding season and not the fettling season, but there seems to be precious little bodging reported lately.

So, if you want to become a "Bodgemeister" post in here.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the riding season

the fettling season,

...there seems to be precious little bodging reported lately.

Badgers? Here's some

It's a dieing art right 'nuff

Where do you want to start?

Shims under brake cams, fence wire wrapped around the cylinder between the fins and then wrapped around the exhaust pipe to hold it on, wood screws used to hold tin chaincases to aluminium crankcases, gorilla snot used to hold sheared off brake system bolt heads in place for MOTs, broken throttle cables tied around thighs so that you could accelerate by moving your knee outwards, bicycle inner-tube gaiters used on motorcycle tyres, cutting up repair outfit patches to deal with multiple punctures, brake shoe lining material cut off other shoes and epoxyed to ones that you can't get replacements for, house paint slapped on over rust, grease, road dirt and bugs, seat covers made from supermarket plastic bags.

Just off the top of my head and I claim ownership of _none_ of them....

no serious bodges on the bikes this season.

but once (loooong ago) I sold my old Saab 99. It had a serious nazty rattle in the engine. I got a tip from a half drunken mate one friday and (half drunk miself) stuffed one and a half mashed banana down in the sump after which it ran amazingly silent for a week and the buyer was very happy. On the seventh day a nasty fire developed in the engine bay where the banana had squeezed itself out of the sump. But then I was inrolled in the Army and couldnt be bothered..... got a bloody nose out of it later though.....

Guest Nogbad

Shims under brake cams, fence wire wrapped around the cylinder between the fins and then wrapped around the exhaust pipe to hold it on, wood screws used to hold tin chaincases to aluminium crankcases, gorilla snot used to hold sheared off brake system bolt heads in place for MOTs, broken throttle cables tied around thighs so that you could accelerate by moving your knee outwards, bicycle inner-tube gaiters used on motorcycle tyres, cutting up repair outfit patches to deal with multiple punctures, brake shoe lining material cut off other shoes and epoxyed to ones that you can't get replacements for, house paint slapped on over rust, grease, road dirt and bugs, seat covers made from supermarket plastic bags.

Just off the top of my head and I claim ownership of _none_ of them....

If perchance you own all of these, perhaps you would have as many bodge points as quiz points. I can't imagine these are all on your V11 however!

Just things that I've seen in xxyears of VMCC events. I had a hand in the cutting up of patches (sidecar outfit had a puncture in rear tyre. before he could stop, the tyre spun on the rim, dragging the nail round and round. about 30 holes and no spare. QD Norton wheel didn't, either...) and jokingly suggested the throttle cable fix, which worked. Most of the rest is the sort of scary stuff that kids do to keep bikes running in fields whilst they learn about IC engines and haven't yet realised their vulnerability. Some people never learn.

Most of the rest is the sort of scary stuff that kids do to keep bikes running in fields whilst they learn about IC engines and haven't yet realised their vulnerability. Some people never learn.

My dad taught me the shims on the brake cam trick for the Bultacco Sherpa T Trials bike. Th e brakes were seriously rubbish. Would just about do untill you had a wet section and then it would be a 5 as you ran out the bottom on any section with a descent. :lol: My TY175 was a lot better but the disc brake on our later Fantic was a revalation

here

Does it ever end?

it hasn't stopped for me yet.

Even better when you get 3 or 4 going at once

What's all that got to do with badgers? <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_anigrin.gif" alt=":grin:"> Get on the topic big lad, tune in, drop out. :whistle:

I had a welder attempt to weld a crack in my Ballabio header, but he didn't take into account that the clamp had to slide over the weld to bolt up to the exhaust port-- so, I told him to just file the weld down to provide clearance for the clamp, which he promptly did. Yeah, the header recracked after about 200 miles. So, whose bodge is it-- mine or the welder's?

I JB Welded a vibration pinhole on the underside of the gas tank of my wife's '66 Honda CA-77 Dream. Worked like a charm, at least until after the bike was sold to become a sales floor fixture in a Honda auto dealership-- they prepped it for dry storage ($3K sales floor fixture-- go figure). I don't think I'll have to worry about any future bloody noses, though, at least not from THAT buyer.

he didn't take into account....Yeah, the header recracked...

Worked like a charm, at least until ...

WS! Bodges have to work, not be disasters. There are other words to describe those mess-ups.

It's nice if they have some ingenuity too. Someone posted a bit of a definition – Nogbad?

a bit of a definition –

aye, here we go:

bodger |?boj?r| noun

a heavily built omnivorous nocturnal mammal, typically having a gray and black coat.

• Several genera and species in the family Martin Barrett, in particular the Eurasian peecee plodus, which has a white head with two black stripes, and the North American CraazeeEnzo, with a white stripe on the head.

verb [ trans. ] ask (someone) repeatedly and annoyingly for something; pester : "motocyclists bodgered motoguzzi about the warranties"

ORIGIN early 16th cent.: perhaps from the moto guzzi Bordge touring cycle , with reference to its distinctive and rather haphazard clutch fastenings and 'any spring will do' approach. The verb sense (late 18th cent.) originates from the formerly popular sport of bodger baiting

aye, here we go:

bodger |?boj?r| verb [ trans. ] ...with reference to its distinctive and rather haphazard clutch fastenings and 'any spring will do' approach...

Ah, I guess I get it now-- so I suppose the Honda would qualify as a bodge because it never failed?

The Ballabio header was subsequently rewelded by the chap who gave it a good new home-- his bodge is still working AFAIK, so does he get a point?

I guess I've generally managed to avoid bodges, usually opting for the legitimate fix, according to the strict definition, so I think my JB Weld job would be all I have to contribute to the discussion. Sorry 'bout that.

WS! Bodges have to work, not be disasters. There are other words to describe those mess-ups.

It's nice if they have some ingenuity too. Someone posted a bit of a definition – Nogbad?

How about these:

"Every bodger knows that PVC pipe and duct tape are two most important resources on Earth.

You can commonly find bodgers in their natural habitat: hardware stores, dumpsters, and junkyards."

www.urbandirectory.com

Despite that interpretation: I have installed my recently purchased Quat-D and I have installed also the O2 probe in the hole that was meant for it, without any interference with the frame (sic!). It was not possible without the help of two big hammers, a large screwdriver, a lathe and even the devoted donation of some bodger's flesh.

Now I personally think this is worth one BP for me and at least ten for the Quat-D guys. You could invent another sort of badges for people who claim 800,- Euros for such a bodge without becoming red, not even slightly.

I bought it anyway, and I like the result!!!

Hubert