Confession Thread

Guest Nogbad

You could invent another sort of badges for people who claim 800,- Euros for such a bodge without becoming red, not even slightly.

Great idea. There should be a 'Big Hammer' badge for people who use one to sort their V.11's. That's you and me then.

HA62.jpg

Ah, I guess I get it now-- so I suppose the Honda would qualify as a bodge because it never failed?

:thumbsup:

Yeah.

Though that 'definition' that I posted wasn't the , erm, proper one that I was referring to earlier.

That definition could almost be considered a bodge (and therefore a point winner), but in fact it was more of a fiddle. :blush:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if this one really counts, you tell me...

I bought my Lemans from a guy that crashed it about a year before I bought it. Had trouble getting the clutch to work and checked these pages for the "expert" opinion.

Replaced the pump & lever. Bleed the system many, many times.

After sorting through all of the opinions I tried a little "redneck" enginering...

Started the motor (out of gear) and held the clutch lever in until the motor warmed a bit. Then I worked the lever many times, about 20 strokes and the clutch broke free.

I'm guessing the twin plates had stuck together sitting around in North Carolina for a year.

When I reported to the forum I got the feeling it wasn't the proper fix. I've had no troubles with it for over 5000 miles.

By the way...

expert sometimes know as : EX-Spurt = EX, has been & we all know what a spurt is....

:homer:

I am currently free of badger points. This embarrassingly crude fix otter change all that:

Like all good tales, it begins with a bottle of bourbon and a holed inner tube . . .

PICT0002-9.jpg

Here is the aforementioned bourbon and inner tube. For those who track such things, the tube was a holed 17-incher off a Stone. It had been sitting there in the garbage when, late at night last Friday I was changng the stock shock on Billy Bob for the newly repaired and re-sprung Ohlins so that the visiting Mike Haven, of MPH Cycles in Houston, could ride it to the WA State Guzzi breakfast the next morning. While changing the shock and lubing everything, I looked up Billy Bob's rectum and was confronted with this sight and what to do about it:

PICT0003-4.jpg

Jizzus; look at that hole the wheel would sling water through. It rains here. All the time, and everything was getting corroded and covered in mung and moss (cleaned up for the photo). While I had the wheel and shock off, it occured to me that I might as well have more whisky and seal that hole. That's where the aforementioned tube came in. Why not just hack off a hunk of that free and available rubber and make a custom mudflap?

So that's what I did. As shown in the photo below:

PICT0007-6.jpg

Split the old tube down the gullet, punch four holes, and zip-tie in place. It's even curved, like the tire! Crude and hopelessly declasse, yes, but not a drop of water got by it on my 150 miles in the rain on Sunday.

If that ain't worth a badger point, nothin' is!

I can't see the 17 incher. So you're not ready. To do things only half is not bodging, is it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, obviously I did understand only half of what you've been saying :huh:

Edited by luhbo

Great idea. There should be a 'Big Hammer' badge for people who use one to sort their V.11's. That's you and me then.

But that's not my fault! I've been misleaded by your bad influence, BFG!

Hubert

and the clutch broke free.

Sorry Tracey

– these point things are harder to come by than you would think, though it's Nogbad's call, when he reappears. Where's an unofficial Moderator when you need one?

What you did was practical mechanicing. True, bodging is an important speciality within the general field of practical mechanicing, but it does have to be a little bit special. If you hadn't been able to crack the clutch and had instead worked out a way to operate your clutchless machine on the public highway by some other means then that 'means' would be a worthy bodge.

(BTW, I've known at least one machine where the clutch was so solidly bound that attempts to break it free caused the 'crack' to happen in a different, unintended, part of the transmission system.)

the North American CraazeeEnzo, with a white stripe on the head.

You've mixed that one up with "skunk".

8-)))))

That definition could almost be considered a bodge (and therefore a point winner), but in fact it was more of a fiddle. :blush:

Fiddling with yourself doesn't count.

Don't know if this one really counts, you tell me...

After sorting through all of the opinions I tried a little "redneck" enginering...

Started the motor (out of gear) and held the clutch lever in until the motor warmed a bit. Then I worked the lever many times, about 20 strokes and the clutch broke free.

I'm guessing the twin plates had stuck together sitting around in North Carolina for a year.

No damage = not a bodge. My brother's brother-in-law has a hill farm. Very occasionally, he needs to use a tractor to do some work. One day, the clutch was stuck engaged. Many days later it was still stuck. So....

He bores a hole in the bell housing at the back of the flywheel where the friction material runs. Then carefully drills through the flywheel until friction material starts to show. Then, with my brother holding the clutch out, he belts the friction plate with a drift through the holes. The clutch, she is freed. Blanking plug in the bell housing and it's ready to go any time it happens in the future.

Hole in the bell housing = damage = bodge.

No damage = not a bodge.

Be careful: your example isn't actually contradicting what I said about 'bodges should work, not be disasters', but some may be led to think that wholesale destruction is the same thing as a successful bodge. That would be wrong, of course.

BTW, your story was a bit disappointing. I thought you were going to say that he drilled a hole through to the friction material – and then pumped oil in to free the plate.

I am currently free of badger points. This embarrassingly crude fix otter change all that:

....a holed inner tube . . .

Yes, this is classic bodgery, because of course 'the olde inner tube' is one of the bodger-man's chief and most versatile resources. Almost any job utilising an old tube classifies as 'a good bodge', as long as you're not using it to inflate a tyre.

Unfortunately, the 'pretend whiskey jar' in your photo is a less successful wheeze. It almost gives the air of a relaxed and confident fiddler, at home and at one with the grease stained workshop around him, however...it's quite plain that you printed the label yourself. Diet coke, cold tea???

... the 'pretend whiskey jar' in your photo...it's quite plain that you printed the label yourself. Diet coke, cold tea???

Maker's Mark is what people who live outside of Kentucky think Kentucky Bourbon is supposed to be-- sort of like Chivas Regal.

And don't go on about how even the best Kentucky Bourbon is not even [blah blah blah]. The first distillery in what is now Trigg County, KY was built on my Great-Great-Great Grandpapa's land in 1825. I would be familially obligated to take it personally, which I would rather not have to do. :whistle:

Cheers. Carry on. And no offense intended in your choice of Bourbon, Greg. I know it's tough to get the real stuff in Seattle.

I can't give a bodge point for the inner tube mud dodger.

I did indeed define the requirements for bodge points before but I can't remember where. However, an important feature of a "bodge point" bodge is that if you purchased a bike with the feature in question, you would get that "dicky tummy" feeling on discovery.

The inner tube addition simply adds an easily removed, albeit ugly, but rather effective method of preserving the shock from road dirt and rain. As such, if you found this on the V11 you just bought, you would likely get a warm feeling of confidence in the previous owner! If you didn't like it, 2 minutes with a side cutter and the thing is binned with no detriment to the original state of the V11.

Therefore. NOT a bodge.

an important feature of a "bodge point" bodge is that if you purchased a bike with the feature in question, you would get that "dicky tummy" feeling on discovery.

Rubbish! If a good, worthy bodge, the purchaser would be struck with admiration and an inner warmth from the knowledge that the previous owner gave time and care to surmount difficulties rather than ignore them.

Wanna buy my bike? :unsure:

:rolleyes:

Ham-fisted blattering and over-reliance on string etc, etc, are a different class of work altogether and not to be confused with the craft of the b*dger.

You're right about the rubber mud catcher. I was thinking that myself. Unfortunately it must be regarded as a 'lash-up', not a b*dg*.

You bastards're hard to please. Apparently, I've never bodged anything. I was right embarrassed to show you this rubber thingy.

As for the bourbon, that's good stuff. Maybe there's better, but in a blind test not one man in a hundred could pick which it is.