My Dealer Disappeared

polebridge

Richard:

I was not aiming that barb at you. I just really hate Wal-fucking-Mart. Has nothing to do with Guzzi parts, either. I just feel like I'm in the second of those "of the Dead" ("Day of the Dead"?) movies whenever I get near the place. The "associates" and shoppers therein all remind me of the mindless zombies strolling through the mall in that movie. Creeps me all the way out. All the way. It has to be the final option before I'll step foot in one again. I'd gladly pay $20 for a filter at the last Guzzi dealer on earth before I walked into Wal-Mart to pay $3 for the same thing. The toll on my psyche exceeds the cost savings by a factor of two to three.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard:

I was not aiming that barb at you. I just really hate Wal-fucking-Mart. Has nothing to do with Guzzi parts, either. I just feel like I'm in the second of those "of the Dead" ("Day of the Dead"?) movies whenever I get near the place. The "associates" and shoppers therein all remind me of the mindless zombies strolling through the mall in that movie. Creeps me all the way out. All the way. It has to be the final option before I'll step foot in one again. I'd gladly pay $20 for a filter at the last Guzzi dealer on earth before I walked into Wal-Mart to pay $3 for the same thing. The toll on my psyche exceeds the cost savings by a factor of two to three.

I'm not fond of WalMart (bring back White Front and FedMart!) but it's pretty much the only game in town for where I live. I am realistic enough to realize that to the tune of 9 Billion dollars a year, it should be called "The Peoples Republic of WalMart", because it is a major outlet for PRC made goods.

Back on the dealer topic, my son went down to FBF and noticed a lot of MV, Ducatis but only a couple of Guzzis. When he asked a salesman he said they just don't sell. Unfortuatley would hardly know they sold Guzzis. The BMW dealership where my son works is exclusive BMW ...2 stores now and selling a crazy amount of bikes. He's doing all the right things, track days, cook outs, duel sport organized rides, and it has became a hangout for all kinds of riders. Buisness is buisness you gotta make a living and put some effort into it.

JUST MY 2 CENTS,

The dealer near Marcus is Branchville Motors.RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!

He's very hit or miss,He's also a dealer thats financially strapped.

Don't ask me how i know this!

I suggest Marsh, Rockwell,or FBF.

Good Luck!!

Guest Mattress

For service in the Chicago area, I reccommend to owners to check out Fred Cousins at Triple O service.

He has been doing right by me. Services mostly Italian and British bikes.

Not a dealer, but can help you out.

For service in the Chicago area, I reccommend to owners to check out Fred Cousins at Triple O service.

He has been doing right by me. Services mostly Italian and British bikes.

Not a dealer, but can help you out.

Mattress,

Does this guy sell parts? Where is he?

Hey Karl. You are right, Stan's was a real no frills Guzzi shop tucked away in the industrial wasteland of Gainsville. I used to go visit him occasionally. As you probably know he had all kinds of cool Guzzi stuff tucked away in that shop of his and he was always good for a funny story. I haven't been there in a couple of years but if HE dropped out then he truly was the last dealer standing here in Florida. By the way, you appear to have a nice collection of bikes. Do you do all your own work (it is alnost inevitable isn't it) or have you found anyone to help you if you had the need?

Kaput

I do most of all my own work, If I get stuck on something, there are a few guys in my local riding group that together we can figure it out most of the time. One of our guys is building a 1200 cc inline 3cy loop frame guzzi. http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=8272.0

We have done quite a bit since these photos were taken. Can not wait to get it on the road.

Stan is still working on guzzi's and selling parts, I just dont think he is dealing with MGNA or what ever they are calling themselfs these days.

Richard:

Hi Greg,

As you probably know that was George Romero's intent,to make a social commentary on the mindless consumerism of the American public.

25 years later and it still applies.

I live in NYC about 1.5 from said dealer and feel that no dealer in New York is and should be unacceptable to Moto Guzzi As I feel this should be a strong market for them.But the dealer probably had the same problems many of us have experienced from MG.Poor quality control,parts availability,indifference from MGNA.etc.The " this is the way we are," mentality hurts them in the big picture.They have to be competitive by making a bike that is as good,reliable,and fun to drive as the competitions,or better.Other wise they will go the way of so many great bike companies that only exist in our memories or history books.

Take heed Moto Guzzi, :mg: we love your style ,beauty and charm.

I think Naomi Campbell is gorgeous but I don't want to live with her!

:xmas:

Well We Guzzi riders are not the only ones with dealer problems. I stoped by the local bike dealer mini-mall who is a dealer for Aprilia. I need a dash idiot light for my 1100 Sport and thought maybe the Aprilia dealer might have one. I was told by the parts dept that they do not carry parts for them as they had 5 new Aprilia's sitting on the sales floor. At least we can get parts for guzzis from diffrent sources. I would hate to have a Aprilia and need parts.

Richard:

Greg

No offense taken my friend. :D My main point was that even when you do want to support your local dealer & he doesnt have the oil filter you need, you have to get it somewhere. Like I said I'm no fan of Walmart or their business practices but they do have what I need a lot of the time. I would say to buy at the autozone type parts store instead, but I'm sure its just another mega corporate conglomeration thats no better than walmart, McDonalds,Enron lol etc

I think as a group just from the bikes we ride we arent the WalMart type mass produced plastic junk buying crowd. Unfortunately we at least in the U.S. are currently living in a walmart economy with a government that wants the smallest group of wealthy people who pay the highest income taxes to keep almost all the profits from the sweat of the working men & women who pay the least. It seems people are working harder, earning less money & the money we do make is falling in value everyday to the euro.

Therefore its forcing more people to buy consumer items from walmart type places instead of quality american/european products made with a higher paid better trained workforce.

:huh2:

Guest Mattress

Mattress,

Does this guy sell parts? Where is he?

I don't think he stocks a lot of Guzzi parts. He always seems to have a Guzzi being worked on when I am there lately (loop frames, tonti frames, etc.). If you need a filter or gaskets or anything "consumable", he is worth a call. Now, if you happened to have consumed :food: all the fins from one of your cylinderheads, he likely might need to make some calls. But you can call him if you need something, and he'd likely sell it to you if he has got it.

If you are just looking for things like Napoleon mirrors, battery chargers, he has that stuff too and a pile of catalogs and will order stuff for you.

He is on one of the islands in the canal in Chicago. Basically right off of Division where it crosses the canal. His number is in the yellow pages...Triple O service. He is a cool guy. Rides a Laverda.

He fixed up my crash damage to my Cafe Sport pretty quick. We just had trouble finding a shift lever.

Anyway he is worth a call. He has a website too. He is supposedly known for restorations also.

And I just remembered, Old Towne Cycles, is a new Guzzi dealer. Haven't been to the shop yet.

I don't think he stocks a lot of Guzzi parts. He always seems to have a Guzzi being worked on when I am there lately (loop frames, tonti frames, etc.). If you need a filter or gaskets or anything "consumable", he is worth a call. Now, if you happened to have consumed :food: all the fins from one of your cylinderheads, he likely might need to make some calls. But you can call him if you need something, and he'd likely sell it to you if he has got it.

If you are just looking for things like Napoleon mirrors, battery chargers, he has that stuff too and a pile of catalogs and will order stuff for you.

He is on one of the islands in the canal in Chicago. Basically right off of Division where it crosses the canal. His number is in the yellow pages...Triple O service. He is a cool guy. Rides a Laverda.

He fixed up my crash damage to my Cafe Sport pretty quick. We just had trouble finding a shift lever.

Anyway he is worth a call. He has a website too. He is supposedly known for restorations also.

And I just remembered, Old Towne Cycles, is a new Guzzi dealer. Haven't been to the shop yet.

Thanks Mattress :thumbsup:

I just searched Old Towne Cycles. Looks like they have three locations, besides Wells St there is one in Worth and one in Joliet. Both of which are pretty close to me. They must all be pretty new. Looking more promising all the time. Now if they only have a parts inventory! Have you been to Tag Sport? Nice dealership but way out in Geneva.

Richard:

I'm right with you on this one Greg. I'd go out of my way and spend more to support an independent business rather than shop at one of these mass merchants. I remember in the 80s with the advent of the "electronic superstores". They put 2 small local audio stores out of business. Gone is the independent along with his product knowlege and usually better quality line of merchandise then these giant stores. People want the low price and put up with the pimple faced kid who typically knows less about the product he is selling than the consumer. :vomit:

It looks like things are worse than I thought! This Coppa is my first ever Guzzi (in 30 years of riding) and I really like the bike. So much so that I was considering a Griso as an addition some time down the road.

Looks like, unless things change, I may have to reconsider. Maybe a Triumph?

I hope this situation improves soon.

Well We Guzzi riders are not the only ones with dealer problems. I stoped by the local bike dealer mini-mall who is a dealer for Aprilia. I need a dash idiot light for my 1100 Sport and thought maybe the Aprilia dealer might have one. I was told by the parts dept that they do not carry parts for them as they had 5 new Aprilia's sitting on the sales floor. At least we can get parts for guzzis from diffrent sources. I would hate to have a Aprilia and need parts.

Unfortunately I also own an Aprilia Falco. Now things are really in the toilet. :D

Kaput