Muffler choices

Guest Guest_dlaing

Well, I have the FBF carbons and they seem nice enough. Fortunately, the previous owner paid for them, so all I had to do was be happy they were there. :) The sound is great IMO, but as for a point of comparison, I can't offer much help. What I can say is that the stock crossover quiets things down quite a bit as well, and the Stucchi x-over/pipes combo is a LOT louder than my buddy's all stock setup. I can also say that getting the pipes, crossover, and headers to all fit together and allign with the hangers is a real pain in the ass. Enough to where I'm thinking I can see swapping the FBF's for a quat-d setup.

Whatever you end up using, fer chrissakes use Locktite. Lots of it. :luigi:

Very pretty! :)

I don't see any prices on their site. Anyone have any info?

well at about 700aus for each can I couldn't see shelling out the money unless I lived in Asustralia and just wanted to support the home team. They are very high build quality better than FBF or Mistrals(or so I've heard) but for about $500 a can they are real expensive(because you need 2)

I'd like to see a bub exhaust on a griso. I'm thinking of maybe getting something like that and want a magni or a bub exhaust. Would look good, or so I think. :huh2:

anyone else need some help with pipes? I've done a lot of research on just about all of'em.

The best you can buy IMO are the Guzzi Ti kit. Very very nice easy and smooth sound.

I have been thinking about a new exhaust system lately. I prefer the two pipe standard setup for looks & sound. However when you factor in the cost of the new cans plus buying the x over seperately for several hundred more the Quat d starts to look pretty good. Plus I think the Quat D is probably lighter & easier to install. The sinking value of the dollar vs the euro is a main factor holding me back right now. Well that & I havent been working any overtime lol.

I'm very happy with my Staintunes. It really is a matter of personal taste with regard to the visual appearance. I choose extreme quality and fit, and beautifully polished stainless steel. Others choose carbon fibre matt wrapped metal. Still others go for aluminium. The sound, arguably, from most all of these pipes will be simliar, as will the performance increase. And it seems price varies dramatically.

Personally, I am old fashioned, and to me carbon matt, even when clear coated, looks like the underside of a kit car. And check out the stuff after 3-5 yrs, it looks like shite. It racing applications make sense, with the weight reduction issues. But we're talking about a V11 here, come on guys.

Ciao, Steve G.

I'm very happy with my Staintunes. It really is a matter of personal taste with regard to the visual appearance. I choose extreme quality and fit, and beautifully polished stainless steel. Others choose carbon fibre matt wrapped metal. Still others go for aluminium. The sound, arguably, from most all of these pipes will be simliar, as will the performance increase. And it seems price varies dramatically.

Personally, I am old fashioned, and to me carbon matt, even when clear coated, looks like the underside of a kit car. And check out the stuff after 3-5 yrs, it looks like shite. It racing applications make sense, with the weight reduction issues. But we're talking about a V11 here, come on guys.

Ciao, Steve G.

I really went for the CF's for looks, but if something happens to them I'll be looking for a Ti set, Any Ti set I can find leo, MG, whoever. :huh2:

Quat-D is nice but I like having pipes on coming out the back. I can't wait for bush to be out and the demo's to be back in and maybe they can bring the dollar back to the euro and I can buy all this crap I want without taking a loan. :huh2::lol:

Hey Guys,

I just purchased the Mistral Oval CF cans from MG, they are $799 a pair there. The sound is low grumble at idle, not loud at all. Under load the sound of the pipes really comes out, downshifting and acceleration. I was worried they would be too loud but I would say these are just about exactly what I wanted, good V-twin sound w/o being obnoxious.

I originally tried the poor man's version exhaust mod which was drilling holes in the end of the stock pipes and cutting out some additional space in the flange around the pipe. Other than the two hours of tinkering fun, I thought it was a wasted effort. The sound just wasn't there and there was no 'by the seat' noticeable power increase.

Cheers,

Geddo

Very pretty! :)

I don't see any prices on their site. Anyone have any info?

Slug, This is the price they gave me back in March last year, I couldn't see them being any cheaper now.

Please see prices as follows.

1xset of polished or brushed finish stainless steel oval mufflers $1285 incl gst

1xset of black chrome finish oval stainless steel $1370.00 incl gst

The v11 sport mufflers and made to mount on to the stock muffler brackets&have inserts to accommodate the heel plates.

Expensive buggers, even here in N.Z.

Rob

Hey Guys,

I just purchased the Mistral Oval CF cans from MG, they are $799 a pair there. The sound is low grumble at idle, not loud at all. Under load the sound of the pipes really comes out, downshifting and acceleration. I was worried they would be too loud but I would say these are just about exactly what I wanted, good V-twin sound w/o being obnoxious.

I originally tried the poor man's version exhaust mod which was drilling holes in the end of the stock pipes and cutting out some additional space in the flange around the pipe. Other than the two hours of tinkering fun, I thought it was a wasted effort. The sound just wasn't there and there was no 'by the seat' noticeable power increase.

Cheers,

Geddo

I think we were seperated at birth. I could have said that word for word. :drink:

cave in buy mistrals, you can't go wrong. I have FBF, but same thing only slightly cheaper :huh2:

I see this old thread is being revisited., i've spent some time here as i try to figure out what to get for my RC. The problem is i'm cheap, and forking over $800 for carbon fibre is hard for me to do. MG cycle has the aluminum Mistrals for $525 a set, that seems like a great deal to me, but does anyone know if you take the aluminum tube cover whatever off (maybe to have annodised black)? Many of the cans can be taken apart quite easily but don't know about the Mistrals. I did get a price on the black neptune (not CF) $760 a pair + $80 shipping to the US, still rather high IMO. Anyone have round al mistrals on their LeMans? How do like them and lets see a pic.

waspp :luigi:

I see this old thread is being revisited., i've spent some time here as i try to figure out what to get for my RC. The problem is i'm cheap, and forking over $800 for carbon fibre is hard for me to do. MG cycle has the aluminum Mistrals for $525 a set, that seems like a great deal to me, but does anyone know if you take the aluminum tube cover whatever off (maybe to have annodised black)? Many of the cans can be taken apart quite easily but don't know about the Mistrals. I did get a price on the black neptune (not CF) $760 a pair + $80 shipping to the US, still rather high IMO. Anyone have round al mistrals on their LeMans? How do like them and lets see a pic.

waspp :luigi:

Mistrals are easy to dismantle but difficult to "re-mantle."

I sell this stuff at Moto I—aluminum, carbon, stainless, and titanium, high and low. Here's my take on the advantages and disadvantages of each:

Carbon: The hardest to scratch or dent noticably. Look good. Does not stand up to UV exposure very well. The nicest low ones I have sold are FBF. Todd Haven prefers the M4 mufflers. I trust his opinion, but have never personally seen a pair of them. Mistral makes the only high versions that I know of, and also a low version. One thing I do not like about the Mistrals is that the attached inlet pipe for the mufflers bows out much farther to the side than do the pipes for all the other options. I think that mine will touch down, though they haven't yet. Generally, carbon mufflers are a few ounces heavier because the carbon is wrapped over a metal sheath. If you need mufflers that will stand up to tough use get carbon. But keep in mind that you must not park in the sun all day with any frequency.

Aluminum: Finish stands up to UV and weather and is easily renewed. They are also the least-expensive option. Unfortunately, they dent very easily. The best ones I have seen are Gianelli, which are a "medium high" mounting. The Gianellis mount easily and perfectly parallel and symmetrically. They look like they were designed by Germans they are so rigidly parallel and symmetrical. If you like that sort of buttoned-down look, they are the best option. Mistrals are nice, too, and are available in low or high mounting.

Titanium: Finish stands up to UV and weather and is easily renewed. Unfortunately, they dent extremely easily. I have Mistrals, for example, and if I even get near them with a tool, I'll spot a dent or crease later. If you demand dent-free mufflers, stay away from titanium. Of the ti systems, I judge the Guzzi system by far the best. Why? Fit and finish and sound, mostly, but also because it can be mounted as a high system or as a low system and looks good either way. I currently have low Mistral titaniums on my Billy Bob ('cause I got them cheaply used) but think I am going to get a set of Guzzi titaniums because I can mount them low when I have my H&B luggage on and then high when I do not have the luggage attached. The Guzzi system tucks in nicely, too, and has an "organic" not-entirely symmetrical Italian look. If you like symmetry, the Gianellis are best. Mistral has nice ones, in high or low versions, but keep in mind the inlet-pipe issue.

Stainless: I think Staintune is the only option. These are beautifully made and tougher than the rest of the bike. They resist denting and are impervious to UV and the finish can easily be renewed.

As for round or oval, in my opinion, the oval complements the styling of the bike more.

Ciao, Steve G.

I prefer the look of 1990s V1100 Staintunes.

They made a complete system with X cross-over....very nice, but even they get beat up, and damaged by salt, etc., but they will probably last longer than anything.

I'll bet it is time to repack my Mistral carbons.

They seem to be holding up pretty well to the UV....could be the dirt on them acts like sunscreen :P

Mistrals are easy to dismantle but difficult to "re-mantle."

I sell this stuff at Moto I—aluminum, carbon, stainless, and titanium, high and low. Here's my take on the advantages and disadvantages of each:

Carbon: The hardest to scratch or dent noticably. Look good. Does not stand up to UV exposure very well. The nicest low ones I have sold are FBF. Todd Haven prefers the M4 mufflers. I trust his opinion, but have never personally seen a pair of them. Mistral makes the only high versions that I know of, and also a low version. One thing I do not like about the Mistrals is that the attached inlet pipe for the mufflers bows out much farther to the side than do the pipes for all the other options. I think that mine will touch down, though they haven't yet. Generally, carbon mufflers are a few ounces heavier because the carbon is wrapped over a metal sheath. If you need mufflers that will stand up to tough use get carbon. But keep in mind that you must not park in the sun all day with any frequency.

Aluminum: Finish stands up to UV and weather and is easily renewed. They are also the least-expensive option. Unfortunately, they dent very easily. The best ones I have seen are Gianelli, which are a "medium high" mounting. The Gianellis mount easily and perfectly parallel and symmetrically. They look like they were designed by Germans they are so rigidly parallel and symmetrical. If you like that sort of buttoned-down look, they are the best option. Mistrals are nice, too, and are available in low or high mounting.

Titanium: Finish stands up to UV and weather and is easily renewed. Unfortunately, they dent extremely easily. I have Mistrals, for example, and if I even get near them with a tool, I'll spot a dent or crease later. If you demand dent-free mufflers, stay away from titanium. Of the ti systems, I judge the Guzzi system by far the best. Why? Fit and finish and sound, mostly, but also because it can be mounted as a high system or as a low system and looks good either way. I currently have low Mistral titaniums on my Billy Bob ('cause I got them cheaply used) but think I am going to get a set of Guzzi titaniums because I can mount them low when I have my H&B luggage on and then high when I do not have the luggage attached. The Guzzi system tucks in nicely, too, and has an "organic" not-entirely symmetrical Italian look. If you like symmetry, the Gianellis are best. Mistral has nice ones, in high or low versions, but keep in mind the inlet-pipe issue.

Stainless: I think Staintune is the only option. These are beautifully made and tougher than the rest of the bike. They resist denting and are impervious to UV and the finish can easily be renewed.

As for round or oval, in my opinion, the oval complements the styling of the bike more.

Hi Greg,

How do adjust to Guzzi Ti high/low?Do you need special hardware for this?

Does anyone know where you can order the Guzzi Tis?

Has anyone mounted a Guzzi Ti and aftermarket crossover?

Thanks,

MZ

For high mounting, use the brackets that come wiht the Guzzi titanium system.

For low mounting, use the stock brackets. The inlet pipes on the Guzzi ti systelm are separate from the mufflers, so you can rotate them to get the mufflers at the right angle either way. It's a really nice system.

At Moto Intl., we've mounted maybe a dozen Guzzi ti systems with FBF crossovers.

I ordered a set for stock today. If you want a set, I can get them, as can Todd at MPH or any other dealer.

...Titanium: Finish stands up to UV and weather and is easily renewed. Unfortunately, they dent extremely easily. I have Mistrals, for example, and if I even get near them with a tool, I'll spot a dent or crease later. If you demand dent-free mufflers, stay away from titanium. ...

Sounds like they're making'em out of CP tubing; titanium is very soft ("gummy" as my dad used to say [1]) unless alloyed. If the makers are using 3Al/2V tubing or higher grades, it may be that the pipes are getting hot enough to anneal the metal [sorry, don't know enough about the heat treatment of Ti to know what temps the precip hardening goes away again!]

Oddly enough, the real weight of a can is in the internals & headers; it would make much more sense to make the internal baffles out of Ti to save wt. & then use a nice, rugged stainless tube riveted to the outside than to make the whole thing out of Ti. Probably weigh less too! That construction method would also have the nice feature that if the external stainless got "yucky," you could drill out the rivets, slide on a new replacement & pop some new rivets back in to rejuve the can! Whee!

Too bad we live in a throw-away society; we'll never see pipes built this way... :doh:

Thanks for the insight, Greg! Sounds to me like I should start saving my pennies for the Guzzi Ti pipes now! No, wait: the V11s are an obsolete model, w/ little future support to be had; I'd better start saving my pennies as of 2000 when they introduced the V11seses! :grin:

It's been a good millenium for Guzzi!

:mg:

[1] - The Dadster used to work as a machinist for various aerospace contractors back when So.Cal. still had an "industry." He *hated* machining Ti!