What ever you do DON'T MENTION THE ASHES

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mattress

What are you all talking about? The words you are using are almost as incomprehensable as cricket rules...

"sepos" = septic tanks, as in septic tank yanks. Slang for "americans". Not very imaginative or creative, IMO. I expect more from Oz.

Ah yes,cricket, a girl's game if ever there was one.

I flew into Sydney a couple of weeks ago, and the air traffic controllers made a wise crack about how badly the English were doing. I w :moon: ork for a British airline, and they hadn't recognised the dulcet tones of my Irish accent.

I simply mentioned that I knew nothing about cricket, but that the Irish had thrashed the Aussies in the rugby 32-15 the week before, and I was really looking forward to the world cup next year.

Things got awful quiet after that....

Most citizens of countries that don't play cricket wnd many of those who do can't understand the game. That's cool. I have absolutely NO idea about either Baseball or American football.

Good cricket matches between well matched teams are incredible demnstrations of tactics and endurance but you have to have some semblance of an idea what's going on otherwise it just looks like fifteen blokes standing in a field and throwing a ball about.

One of the huge problems at the moment is that the Aussies are SO dominant that the games are usually boring. The second test in this series was an exception, I simply don't understand how the Poms could give that one away?? It really was very poor but it was great to watch. Generally speaking watching us get thrashed in India or test series between us and Pakistan are the best bet since the Windies are no longer really a force which is a shame.

At least now with the microphone in the stumps you can hear the sledgeing which makes even boring periods more entertaining :grin:

Pete

The second test in this series was an exception, I simply don't understand how the Poms could give that one away??

Our newly developed skill at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Developed due to our "special relationship" with Dubya and his sycophants.

Our newly developed skill at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Newly developed???????? Been like that ever since I can remember, and I'm pushing my half century!

I really find it amazing that even a thread on cricket can be turned into global politics debate!

Has it? I thought we were about to discuss the merit of placing fielders at Silly Mid-Off

Good cricket matches between well matched teams are incredible demnstrations of tactics and endurance but you have to have some semblance of an idea what's going on otherwise it just looks like fifteen blokes standing in a field and throwing a ball about.

The only incredible endurance I noticed came from the fans watching sleeping-smiley-012.gif

<_ i was really only responding to a thread posted here about months ago when there great whooping and hollerin the poms taking ashes back from aussies. guess couldn resist dig.>

Regarding the bugle, this comes from the mad supporters of the Pom cricket team called the Barmy Army, slavishly :notworthy: following their heroes around the globe, lead by their bugler, apparently the bugle upset the sensitive ears of the aussie crowds and the powers removed said bugle and also banned the mexican wave, the only other form of boredom relief available to the crowd.

I can only guess that these 2 acts thoroughly demoralised the pom supporters so much that the team literally dropped the ball. :2c: