Pete Roper saves the day - probably not for the last time !

Gregg

:mg: I was on my way from Canberra back to Sydney last Monday morning and had arrived at Mr Ropers to pick up a sump baffle plate for my V11 as pre-arranged by phone and e-mail with Pete.

Having never met "the infamous gent" except for his many humorous posts and illuminating advice on many mechanical subjects Guzzi, I did not know quite what to expect.

Pete rode in with the early morning sun providing a almost supernatural aura around him on his superb Yellow Griso - almost a religious experience, a very good start !

Pete had a quick look at my V11, we discussed the sump plate which he quickly produced from under his arm and he gave me detailed instructions on how to fit it, after which Pete insisted I take his Griso for a blast down into the nearby countryside.

I began by refusing and thinking that this was just a polite offer, but soon realised that Pete was very serious and really wanted me to give it a try - which I did - what a blast !

NOW comes the point of this tale - when I arrives back all smiles, Pete gives me the newly discovered bad news " you ain't going nowhere Sunshine - check out your driveshaft !". He had been having a quick complimentary check over my bike for 5 minutes while I was gone on the Griso.

I followed his pointing finger and found the 2 marks which are supposed to line up on the rear and front portions are out by about 10 degrees- probably by the unnamed Guzzi approved workshop in Sydney who had replaced my rear tyre 3 months ago.

Panic ---- thought - I am on my way back to Sydney, have to be home for business appointments etc by mid afternoon and its 250km away!

Pete sees my face and just casually says "we should be able to fix this real smart and get you on your way !" With that out comes the race stand and away he goes - 20 minutes later after the back wheel was off and on again to reposition the shaft correctly, I was politely but firmly told not to worry about payment for the work "pleased to do it - take it for a spin".

The bike feels totally together, changes gear easier, reacts to bumps better, no false neutrals etc etc etc.

I know where I am taking my bike for services from now on - even if Bugendore is 3 hours away from Sydney - man the guy knows his Guzzis !

I'll drop it down there one weekend and pick it up the next - it's worth it to have someone who can see problems in a 5 minute casual look-over which has been missed in its last 2 oil changes (and by dumb klutz me as well in my regular check-overs) !

Thanks Pete !! MotoModa is highly recommended by me, to all within reach of Bungendore !! :notworthy::race::thumbsup:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The cheque's in the mail, along with the enormous pair of comedy breasts you wanted me to pick up in Fyshwick 'cos you were worried about the missus 'Finding Out'! :grin:

Pete

Dear Pete,

You obviously did not not notice the set of "man boobs" that I have naturally - maybe hidden by my fishnet hot weather jacket on the day !

Thanks again mate - I'll be back !

Pete rode in with the early morning sun providing a almost supernatural aura around him on his superb Yellow Griso - almost a religious experience ****

I've sat here several minutes now, trying to visualize that. Finally did. :notworthy:

It's even harder to erase the image. :D

Bill

Guest ratchethack

. . . the 2 marks which are supposed to line up on the rear and front portions are out by about 10 degrees- probably by the unnamed Guzzi approved workshop in Sydney who had replaced my rear tyre 3 months ago.

Coupla seriously disturbing things here. :o

Bill's point of disturbance was the image of Pete's early morning aura as he roared up on the yellow Griso, swathed in the spectral corona of the morning sun like Ra the Sun God on his golden chariot. :sun:

F'er Y'ers Truly, it's Gregg's man-boobs in the fishnet jacket thing got me gagger goin' . . . :bbblll:

But far more gruesome to me than either of the above is the idea that any moto shop would've removed the bevel drive to change the rear tire. :homer:

Since the V-11 rear hub is conveniently designed to leave the bevel drive entirely intact for a tire change, this would be a bit of an indicator that the shop had no clue wot they were doing. Images of chimps with hammers occur. . . . Mismatched splines on the driveshaft would be all the confirmation of this I'd need. . . <_<

Good f'er Pete. :notworthy: He must've had his glasses on. ;) Who knows when this "time bomb" would've let go, but he probably saved you thou$and$, not to mention missed business appointments, road rescue, and who knows how long waiting for parts to replace lunched U-joints and bearings (assuming it didn't get bad enough to shake the driveshaft completely loose and create utter mayhem), as well as a non-trivial disassembly/labor effort on top o' all that! :whistle:

But far more gruesome to me than either of the above is the idea that any moto shop would've removed the bevel drive to change the rear tire. :homer:

Actually, rather than it occuring at a tyre change my guess is that it occured when the gearbox recall was done in 2003 or whenever! It's probably been running misaligned for years! All it really tells us is that Guzzis are incredibly tough! Luckily it was only out by one spline, (And why the hell can't Guzzi just cut a hunting spline on the shaft so thet not even complete numbskulls can get it wrong!?). Even one spline out though will impose large sinusoidal variations to the loadings on the shaft/trunnions/ gearbox and final drive components, I've seen 1100 Sports with the ends twisted off their pinions by these forces, it's no laughing matter! No wonder it was handling a bit wonky :rolleyes: . Anyway, there seemed to be no harm done here and it's a fifteen minute fix so :huh2: . Made me a case of beer anyway :drink:

Pete

My dealer did the same thing when my trans recall was done (the only time the bevel drive has ever been off the bike). Off by one spline. I never noticed until I took it apart last fall and made note of the white lines. horror of horrors...

It was like that for 6K kms. Probably why everything on the bike started rattling loose since. All good now. I hope...

Rj

[:huh2: . Made me a case of beer anyway :drink:

Pete

And a customer for as often as I can get the V11 to you ! Apologies to all, for the "man-boobs" comment but bugger it - I do like my fishnet summer jacket !

I may have to visit Fyshwick next time I am down - I thought there was just fireworks and motorcycle dealers there ?

Guest Nigelstephens

Interesting about splines, my Sport shaft will not line up exactly one spline either way. Is there a fine adjustment? I havent counted but how many splines are there nor seen any white lines. Quite easy to get 10 degrees out so I'm begining to worry. Are you over in the UK soon Pete?

Interesting about splines, my Sport shaft will not line up exactly one spline either way. Is there a fine adjustment? I havent counted but how many splines are there nor seen any white lines. Quite easy to get 10 degrees out so I'm begining to worry. Are you over in the UK soon Pete?

They should do. Try turning one of the yokes through 180 degrees and seeing if the alignment changes, it may of been taken apart before and reassembled wrongly.

I'm comming over again in March, towards the end of March, fo finalise my Mum's estate and sell the houses in Cambridge etc.

Pete

...(And why the hell can't Guzzi just cut a hunting spline on the shaft so thet not even complete numbskulls can get it wrong!?). Even one spline out though will impose large sinusoidal variations to the loadings on the shaft/trunnions/ gearbox and final drive components, I've seen 1100 Sports with the ends twisted off their pinions by these forces, it's no laughing matter! ...

Care to do one of your wonderful long explanations of what all this is about, with the 27 8x10 color glossy photographs w/ pictures & arrows on the back of each one for those of us in the peanut gallery who haven't a clue? When you have a chance, I understand it's summer down under & you've got far too much riding to do to be messing around on the computer right now... :)

Care to do one of your wonderful long explanations of what all this is about, with the 27 8x10 color glossy photographs w/ pictures & arrows on the back of each one for those of us in the peanut gallery who haven't a clue? When you have a chance, I understand it's summer down under & you've got far too much riding to do to be messing around on the computer right now... :)

I can't do the pics and man-boobs thing, (Hi Ratch! :P ) but I'll try and explain why it is a BAD, BAD thing to mis-align the trunions. I'll stick it up in the tech section if that's OK, gimme a couple of days though, if I don't do it tonight it's a long weekend this weekend and we won't be back till Monday evening. One of the common names for Oz is the 'Land of the long weekend'. Some people think that a bad thing :bbblll:

Pete

And a customer for as often as I can get the V11 to you ! Apologies to all, for the "man-boobs" comment but bugger it - I do like my fishnet summer jacket !

Doesn't it hurt when a bee hits your nipple at 80mph?

All the older Beemers have exactly the same sinusoidal vibrations, being equiped with only one joint in the drive shaft.

Guess what, they just ignore them. No lost mirrors, tortured splines or whatever horror is produced here.

So don't let the gurus spoil your day. If you find your shaft misaligned, correct it if you can. If you don't have the tools for it then ride on and ask your dealer next time you see him if he could have look after it.

Hubert