Spine frame transmission mount

callison

I have my project bike together enough to find that the Sport plate is off 1 cm. It turns out (as Paul had mentioned to me) that the V11 Sport had the engine shifted back onto centerline of the bike where the Sport 1100/1100i's had the engine offset to the right to add clearance for the wider rear wheel. So... the plate cannot really be mounted unless you're willing to move the two top holes over towards the center by 1 cm - which would have one of them out in space somewhere. Drat. Sorry for the bad news for those of you that bought a plate. I bought a used one, but it's still $15 detoured from more worthwhile endeavors.

When I first put the plate on the holes would not line up. I flipped it around and it bolted up. It's just slightly asymmetrical. The driveline of the V11 is still moved right a bit.

(edit /10 Mar 2017: Apparently, the V11 driveline is not offset like earlier spine frames. Yet, this plate "piastra colleg" still bolted up on my 2000 Sport.)

• 12 years later...

Anyone got one of these transmission plates they could sell me or know where I can get one before I hassle around making one? Not available anymore from my parts supplier.

Ciao

Phil, I don't have one of those plates, but I do have an extra subframe from a 2002 bike - with the arms that wrap around the transmission.

IMG_5775.jpg

It would require tapping two holes in the engine case that go through into the bell-housing. I think the Loop and Tonti frames used these locations for frame connections. Bolts are M12 x 1.75 pitch x 35mm length.

IMG_5944.jpg

Yeah, I knew you wanted that. I was just wondering if the different lower bracket might be an even better solution. It seems the cracked transmissions are mostly on the red-frame bikes - and the later subframe with the arms to the block may be the reason.

But that bracket should be pretty for you to make. Then maybe you can get Chuck to make 20 of 'em and paint 'em zinc-chromate green.  :grin:

Yeah, I knew you wanted that. I was just wondering if the different lower bracket might be an even better solution. It seems the cracked transmissions are mostly on the red-frame bikes - and the later subframe with the arms to the block may be the reason.

But that bracket should be pretty for you to make. Then maybe you can get Chuck to make 20 of 'em and paint 'em zinc-chromate green.  :grin:

Ok yep, I'm just so time poor at the moment was looking for a quick  couple of hours in the shed solution. Dont feel like the complexity of modding the gearbox case for the seperate subframe of the later bikes. Guess I can always make one from 8mm alloy plate if I can ever get this bathroom construction finished.

Calling Chuck, 8mm ally plate with a nice relief machined in the visable face? how many are we going to need to make it viable?:)

Ciao

Just a quick look doesn't show any metric aluminum stock.. we're 'Mericans over here, you know. I can get 1/4" or 3/8" easily. I *could* cut down 3/8" to M8, but it would add a few dollars to the cost. 

It couldn't be immediate at any rate. My pup, Tylon has the CNC tied up for a while.  :huh2:

Phil, I'll ask Don about the possibility of making an extra cradle if he is able to make one for me. 

Obviously I am not certain about the success of anything right now regarding repair of my bike but I can certainly ask.

Perhaps if there is broader interest, he might see a business opportunity?

I can look at mine when I get home and try to assess the space. AFAIK, mine is the only V11 with the 'piastra colleg ' fitted?

8mm is just a little smaller than 3/8 in.  Why would that matter?

8MM is within a couple of thousandths of 5/16" 

I've found 5/16"X 4" so far..