Lots of oil in my air box

sp838

The bike had around 45 - 50K on it when I bought it, and I'm not sure how often, if ever, the previous owners cleaned it out. So, I suppose it could just be build up after 13 years... But it's still a bit shocking how much was in there. When I replaced my plugs they were greasy black and shiny. At first I just assumed the bike was running too rich, but now after removing the air box and seeing how much oil was down in the crooks where the stacks go into it, I'm wondering if some of that oil was getting sucked back into the combustion chamber. This ain't a two stroke last time I checked!

The importance of this is that I am in the process of converting to pods. I installed a filter on the breather hose, which I attached to the spine under the tank. My concern now is, will I have oil seeping out of the breather filter and oozing down the spine onto the engine etc. or worse dripping down and getting onto the rear wheel while I'm riding? This could potentially be catastrophic.

So I guess the question is: is it normal for there to be so much oil in the air box? If not, what should I be looking into? What would cause the breather to kick so much oil up? Too much oil in the engine? For those who are running pods instrad of the stock box, is there a better/safer place to route the breather to?

Thanks!

Breather Hose With Filter

If the PO was using mineral oil instead of synthetic, it is much more prone to heat vaporization. Also, a lighter oil would promote this in the event it was not on a steady diet of 20W-50. Rding in the rain and high rpm riding also increase the vapor fraction.

That said, these engines do use their crankcase ventilation system! Oil in the airbox is common and largely normal. Maybe you would consider a catch can that you could monitor the vent for a  while without risking a mess or a wet tire.

Didn't pour it out into a measuring cup, maybe I should have. I was around a half cup I'd say, a quarter cup in each side.= where the stacks go in.

Question about the crankcase breather hose: if I'm getting rid of the airbox, does it have to be routed up to the spine, and then back out of the top of the spine? Can I just put my little filter on a hose coming out of the sump, and plug the holes in the spine? Sure would be nice to get rid of that hose that comes up next to the lefthand throttle body...

The spine is used as an oil/air separator. While you could remove it it would likely only increase the amount of oil you are losing out your breather.

The hose should be run up underneath the spine and hardly noticeable.

The returns that drain the oil that separates out back into the cases are much more noticeable. But again, they are serving a useful purpose.

Ahh, I see. The line I thought was the crankcase breather is the return line then. Thanks GuzziMoto. That bastard is right smack in the middle of a very cluttered area, between the fuel line coming out of the filter, the throttle body and bracket, the petcock and fuel line to the fuel pump, and various wires. Would have been nice to do away with it.

You could re-route/re-arrange the return hose set up. Some versions of the spine frame have a single return hose on the left. With a little creativity you could probably route it down the spine on the left and behind/under the gearbox, then bring it back forward to the fitting at the sump. I have not scoped any of that out but from memory I am sure you could come up with a less intrusive routing. The question is would any of that be worth it? I don't know, but I definitely not do away with either the breather or the return.

I'll see what I can finagle. Definitely would be nice to re-route that return line. BTW, did you get my private messages?

Just did. Sorry, I tend to not check for those messages. Feel free to poke me when you send one. Or maybe I should send you my email address.

I will get that sent soon. Unless you are going to be in the DC/Balt area anytime soon.

I too wondered what to do with the line going to the airbox. I ended up running it down past the gearbox on the LH side and

finished it off with a K&N crankcase breather. It gets a little black with oil but I have never seen a drip.

I think these bikes will spit out oil if they are too full but don't go near the low mark or the pressure drops to zero on acceleration.

There is a solution to both those problems in one product. Its cheap and effective, for some it seems it isn't cheap enough! :D

Pete

Pete,

I wasn't on here when the slop plate was introduced.

I did a search on here without results.

I thought it was only to prevent the pump starving, I must confess I was having a hard time visualizing that since it's so high up on top of the sump extender. I never thought it might be for high level also.

Does it let you run with more oil so you never approach starvation?

I know mine looses pressure just above the low mark, with a plate do you re-mark the dip stick?

Which Guzzi models does this apply to, just the V11 & LeMans of others like the California also?

Regards

Roy

Update:

Never mind, I found the thread in the How to section.

There is a solution to both those problems in one product. Its cheap and effective, for some it seems it isn't cheap enough! :D

Pete

Well count me in as someone interested in solving multiple problems with one cheap product! Please, do tell!

Pete

Well count me in as someone interested in solving multiple problems with one cheap product! Please, do tell!

I believe he's talking about the famed 'Roper Sloper', a windage tray that he manufactures. There are tons of post on it that would explain it much better then me.

Ahhh. Sounds great, where can I buy one? I searched for it but all searches come back here. MPH and Moto International don't have them listed on their sites, and I'd rather give Pete the money directly anyway. Engine health and oil-not-shooting-out-the-breather are more important, but I wonder: how does it affect the ability to mount a chin spoiler? Thanks!