V11 Recall

jsciullo

FYI-

Took my bike in 2 weeks ago and got a call back from my dealer that the bike is fixed. Of course it just snowed last night so I dont know when I can pick it up. Any body get their bike back yet?

Jim in Dublin, OH

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All done :thumbsup:

Here is a shot of the insides of my tranny...lots of shiney gears!

Nice to get a hands on look at the tranny, nice to see what actually happens when you shift gears....I used to think a little monkey shifted things in there....when I was 5. :luigi:

I replaced all three springs in there while I was at it. :luigi:

No more :thing: for me :!:

Guest rotorhead

I talked with Merideth (sp) in customer service at MGNA a few moments ago and she assured me that the parts will be in country next week and will be distributed to affected dealers as quickly as possible....in her words "they shall gather no dust". I've been waiting 2 months :( for mine. Wonder how some have it done already?? Parts were in country in limited supply? Just wondering.

Regarding the recall situation in the UK, my V11 goes in February 7th for the work to be done - Kit A applies to my 1999 model. I think my dealer has 6 or 7 bikes to do and mine will be the first, but he's a little concerned about only being allowed 12 hours to do the work. :luigi:

Hi Chris,

You mention your dealer is a bit worried about doing the gearbox fix in 12 hrs. I think it would be possible once the guy has done a couple first. I'd like mine to be done after he'd done practice on some others first.

I have to laugh at your little comment by your name, I think it goes " England, near Europe". Well said. England, lovely England, may she always be an island!

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest Tmartin

I got my bike back from the dealer for the trans and rod/bolts recalls. Both are "fixed" and the dealer rode the bike. I can't ride it yet--too much snow/cold. I was charged $31 for engine oil and filter as they were not incuded as part of the recall??? Strange, they did pay for gaskets and trans oil? Hope they put it back together OK. I had no problems with trans shifting or broken rods/bolts before.

Hi Chris,

I have to laugh at your little comment by your name, I think it goes " England, near Europe". Well said. England, lovely England, may she always be an island!

Ciao, Steve G.

Steve - we have to keep 'Johnny Foreigner' at arms length... :D

Ref the recall: The technician at my dealer has performed both conrod and gearbox tasks in the past, but on seperate warranty claims. I know they'll do a good job on my bike - but they were concerned about the time allowance. :luigi:

" England, near Europe". Well said. England, lovely England, may she always be an island!

**snort** England isn't an island. Britain is an island.

But hey, maybe you've got a good idea there!

Lets bring spades and saws to the Midlands rally and see what we can do.

Baldini, can you do some prep work on the Welsh border before we arrive? (Just cut along the dotted line.)

My humble appologies to those of Wales, and Scotland, nations in their own right. I have been lucky to have travelled extensively in both Wales and Scotland, by car, and most specially by motorcycle. I have many relatives in the Cardiff area, have enjoyed rabbett, and though I don't understand Welsh, I find it as beautifull to listen to as fine music. One of my most magical overnights ever in the UK was in the sea side town of Fishguard. And my Grandmother was Scottish [Russell]. I am a lover of single malt scotch, preferring Speyside origin, and belong to the Scotch Conneseures assoc.

Ciao, Steve G.

• 2 weeks later...

All the Kit A recall work has been done :luigi: and I collect my bike tomorrow :bike:

It was in the workshop for 2 days so I guess they didn't have any major problems...

How's the recall situation in the USA? Subject has gone a bit quite lately.

The sliding dogs ( or sliding sleeves ) are shown top and bottom arrows. They are engaged by the shift forks which push them along the shaft to change the gears.

Middle arrow points to the ' cush drive' on the transmission shaft . Also under recall, the new one really tightens up the driveline lash.

gearbox_bad_parts.JPG

Good post Doc,

Just a slight correction.

#1 is the sliding dogs. Two of these get replaced.

#2 is an updated spacer, part of the cush drive. (you are pointing at the stacked washers, also part of the cush drive)

#3 is the cush drive at the output end. This along with the spacer is suppose to reduce driveline play. Snow here so the bike has not been run yet.

:bbblll: